[7x10minilathe] Tailstock truing

  • stpete@netten.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 1999
      I just finished reviewing Jose's tape on the 7x10 minilathe. I'm sure it may not be that earthshattering to experienced machinists, but to a complete novice such as myself, it was worth every dime just to see the operations being done and hearing the tips on how to go about the different processes of turning, facing, parting, boring, tapping and threading. I needed that to get started.

      Now my question. My tailstock does not have even the primative adjustment that Jose's tailstock has on his lathe. My tailstock is one solid cast piece. How in the heck would I true it up. Forget adjustments! It seems pretty close now (.002-3") or better, I can't really tell without a MT3 for the headstock spindle or turning a bar on centers. My hesitation to go through this procedure is wondering whether I'd be able to do anything about misalignment if I found it. Any solutions out there?

      Rick C.

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/7x10minilathe
    • mike@cyberramp.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 1999
        I agree about the video. I've only watched it once, and it's helped me a lot.

        Your tailstock is a solid piece? Are you sure there's not an adjustment screw on the underside? Not that it's useful, but at least mine, which is a recent model, has two pieces. The base that fits on the ways is pretty small, and it screws into the main tailstock. The owner's manual doesn't not identify the two pieces as being different, if that's what you're referring to. I know, because I am going to get a replacement. Mine was pretty poorly finished and the adjustment that was supposed to work couldn't possibly work because of how it was "finished".

        I will tell you what I did to adjust mine, though I've got mine epoxied now so it's always parallel with the ways (so it's as if mine IS one piece). If you remove the tailstock and look at the back side of it (the side where the handwheel is located), down towards the bottom you'll see a small flat head set screw. This is crap, at least mine was. When I would tighten it, it would throw the thing back out of alignment! I removed that little screw and forgot it existed, and then drilled and tapped four new holes, two on each side. I used the largest bolts that would fit. Now at least I have a fine adjustment for the direction of the tailstock, which is how I got it true. It's not very good, and there are better modifications out there, but this worked for me.

        My tailstock is currently shimmed between the base and upper part. That's because I tried to file it up to make it flush and true, and took too much off! OOPS! I'm going to order a replacement tailstock and make my adjusting screws again. Once I get it setup perfectly, I'm going to drill a small hole somewhere in it where I can press a pilot pin into it to get it perfectly straight without much fuss. For this to work, the hole and pin need to be a very snug fit, and need to be tight enough that I'll have to punch it out if I want to setup the tailstock for a taper cut. But at least I'll know it's square with the ways.

        That's the way I'm going to handle it. A nice adjustment screw, where you can just turn a screw and have it shift the tailstock would be better, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do that.

        Mike

        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/7x10minilathe/?start=777

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 1999
          <7lg3gg$pd1-@egroups.com> wrote:
          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/7x10minilathe/?start=783

          > I agree about the video. I've only watched it once, and it's helped me a lot.
          >
          > Your tailstock is a solid piece?

          Yes, it is one solid cast piece. No screws, no base, one piece from ways to quill slide.

          > ...I'm going to order a replacement tailstock and make my adjusting screws again.
          > Mike

          Mike, if you order the tailstock, could you give me the price and stock number? My machine was bought as is at Grizzly for $240. It was made in 1996, but perhaps the ways are still the same. Another option is to 'rebuild' the tailstock by cutting it and milling some kind of spacer and adjustment from the bottom side where it would be bolted together. Now THAT sounds like a project. The darn thing is not off that much. Have you heard of other adjustment options?

          Rick

          eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/7x10minilathe
        • Ray C Archibald
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 1999

            > > Your tailstock is a solid piece?
            >
            > Yes, it is one solid cast piece. No screws, no base, one piece from ways
            to quill slide.

            I bought a 7x10 in Feb. and it looked like the tailstock was 1 piece, untill
            I turned it over and saw the set screw on the underside of the tailstock
            where it sets on the ways, and was able to adjust mine to true it up in
            about 5 min.

            eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/7x10minilathe
          • Mike W.
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 2, 1999
              Rick,

              I haven't heard of any other options, but then again, this is the first time
              I have heard of a solid tailstock.

              If you could do it right, it'd be worth splitting them up. Using the cross
              slide for tapers is okay, unless you need it to be a long taper.

              I'll let you know the product number. I need to get that thing ordered
              ASAP.

              Mike