Re: [7x10minilathe] South Bend's doors are locked.

  • Syd H. Levine
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2002
      Anybody in or near South Bend? There may be a bankruptcy of foreclosure
      auction before all is said and done. Maybe even completed or partially
      completed lathes. There may be some list members that would be interested
      in one of the last SB lathes ever made.
    • Gregg Eshelman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1 12:21 AM

        http://www.southbendtribune.com/stories/2002/05/31/local.20020531-sbt-MARS-A1-Plant_shut.sto

        > You may have to reassemble the url.

        "I wish I had a nickel for every guy that has told me,
        'My dad or my granddad has got one of your lathes in
        his basement or garage,'" Deka said.

        There's the problem, their stuff is built too damn
        good. ;) Market saturation really sucks, eh? So does
        not having a plan to be nimble in the way of
        competition. :P At least this one wasn't done in by
        a payroll out of balance with company income with
        wages averaging $13-$14 an hour. Were they doing
        any CNC stuff? Without that there's no surprise
        about their troubles. It also looks like they had
        too limited of a product line. Lathes and rubber
        roll grinders. What else? Finding or even better,
        creating a market niche has been a big key to
        survival for many "legacy" companies.

        For example, Polaroid kept a hammerlock on instant
        photography, suing rival Kodak each time they dared
        try to sell an instant camera. That fierce protection
        blinded the company to the digital photography
        revolution and they were late to the party. Now
        they've
        filed for bankruptcy or "financial restructuring".

        Knowing when your historical core business is on the
        outs and coming up with new products is how most
        companies survive. Only those that produce stuff that
        people have and will always need can afford to
        ignore the changing wind in the marketplace.

        I'll bet that if South Bend put the effort into it
        they could build a $300 7x12 lathe far superior
        to the Homier, as long as the workforce can keep
        it in mind that the health and profitability of their
        employer directly affects their having a job or not
        and how much of the profit can be afforded for
        wages. :)

        What if we all contacted the right people at
        South Bend and suggested that they look into serving
        the hobbyist market with a superior product? Even
        at the highest price (Micro-Mark) a lathe that's
        truly ready to roll out of the box would have the
        upper hand. Modern equipment and a small (heck, they
        had that) and efficient workforce could overcome
        dirt cheap labor and early 20th century manufacturing
        methods! :)

        =====
        http://www.junkscience.com "All the Junk that's fit to Debunk!"

        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
      • varmint_al
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1 1:24 PM
          Here is a picture taken a few weeks ago of a 53 year old SouthBend
          lathe. It is a 16/24" by 12' bed. My Pop used it until about 10 years
          ago, but it is still in use. Note. The jobs are important, not
          cleaning up the chips!

          Here is the URL:

          http://www.varmintal.com/old-sbl.jpg

          Let the Chips Fly... Varmint Al