Re: [7x10minilathe] BandSaw Lighting and Visors w-Magnifying Lenses

  • YIU CHAN
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
      Chris,
      Thanks for your input, I appreciate that. I used those before perhaps not
      specific to the make and model you suggested here. It work wonderfully well
      but not for long, until the moisture in respiration have precipitated on
      the lens surface masking off the view. I can wipe it off from time to time
      and serve it along my way, but my hobby is not so much in cleaning lens.
      Sorry for a negative comment to a positive suggestion.
      -YK

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
        YK:

        One of the differences between the OptiVisor and whatever you used to use, is that the OptiVisor sits far enough out from your face, and has enough room for air circulation, that it doesn't fog up. And, as I tend to perspire a lot, I really looked into this quality before I bought this model. It even works very well when you wear glasses with them.

        You are certainly correct about fogging lenses being a pain, and wearing glasses, and being a firefighter (entering burning buildings with self contained breathing apparatus' with a full face mask in my younger years, and having those lenses fog up so bad that you couldn't see your hand in front of your face, and the nozzle putting out 150 GPM of water into 3 or 400 degree air didn't help the fog issue at all), I am really sensitive to "fogging", or, in short, I hate it, and won't use something that does that.

        So, I fully recommend that you take a look at this model or at least something similar to it, for your vision inspection needs. The OptiVisor comes in different magnification strengths, with different focal lengths. You can get a loupe on one eye, which will give you 4.5X when it is pivoted into place. The focal distance for the 2X strength is about 12" to 16", and the stronger lenses have shorter focal lengths. The 4.5X loupe is about 5" or so.

        Anyway, I hope that this helps, and I don't think that you would go wrong with this version. J&L, Penn Tool Co, and most of the major suppliers carry these, and for local outlets, check the larger hobby shops, and the local Society for the Blind.

        Finally, I have no commercial relationship, etc., etc., ... usual disclaimer... with OptiVisor and whoever makes them. It is just a good product.

        Chris Difani
        In Northern California, midway between San Francisco and Lake Tahoe

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
          Chris,
          Is this the model you are suggesting? http://xtronics.com/optivisor.htm
          If so, I know what'd ya mean. Actually, I have two of those. One exact
          style, close frame, and another open frame. Close frame have one
          normal-view angle, horizontal, found at HF, and open frame allows view
          0~45* down wrt normal-horizontal, found at Micro-Mart. They all work
          wonderfully, the draw back is they are either too loose at the head band or
          too tight (I prefer to see on with additional band across the head polar).
          I cannot position it if too loose, and get headache soon when it is tight
          for good positioning. I cannot find a "sweet spot". Despite of the problem,
          I do tolerate them regularly. I much prefer the open frame one. It is much
          lighter thus require less skull compression. One size fit all.
          http://www.dxmarket.com/micromark/products/82567.html
          As an alternative, I also make myself handy with a hand magnifier among my
          tools, whenever I am able to free one hand.:-)
          I begin to wear bi-focal prescription about few months ago. I love it. But
          I do take it off during close inspection.
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor