[7x10minilathe] Re: The 7x10 is Y2K Ready!!!

  • Paul Currie
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2000
      As most of us have suspected all along, Y2K was 99% hype.

      Happy New Year to All!

      Paul
    • Lmtnd@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2000
        On New Year's Eve I was working on a little project and around about dark
        started turning down a small piece of round stock to make a shouldered T
        bolt. I decided it would be quicker to bevel the end with a file so that is
        what I did. In the process the 7x10 reached up with one of it's chuck jaws
        and ripped my watch off and flung it against the wall. Maybe it is not only
        Y2K compliant but "time defiant".....:-)

        No harm was done, but it is a good safety reminder. We all know better than
        to be wearing a watch while at the lathe. I just let it slip by me this time
        and was lucky not to have been injured. The quickest way to finish any
        project is to take the time to be safe.

        Happy New Year to All.

        Larry
        Texas
      • Jeff Rossel
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2000
          Hey,
          I just got my DRO (Digital Read Out) card for my PC and 7x10. I need to
          design a mount for the linear strip on my cross slide. So I suspect
          that my lathe may soon have some Y2K issues.

          Jeff the cat
        • Don
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 1, 2000
            Jeff,
            What type of DRO Card did you get, and where?

            Thanks,
            Don P.
            Hey,
            I just got my DRO (Digital Read Out) card for my PC and 7x10. I need to
            design a mount for the linear strip on my cross slide. So I suspect
            that my lathe may soon have some Y2K issues.

            Jeff the cat
          • Frank Hoose
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 2, 2000
              Strangely, my Coleman air compressor died on 1/1/2000. It has been
              working fine for 8 mos or so that I've had it. New years eve, it
              started sounding funny when it started so I unplugged it. Next day,
              when I plug it in, it immediately pops the breaker on that outlet. No
              chips inside, just bizarre timing.

              "jim e." <jim000-@...> wrote:
              original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/7x10minilathe/?start=2617
              > As I sit here at work at a midwest computer site, waiting for the
              > rollover, it dawned on me that, since the 7x10 lacks a computer chip
              in
              > its circuitry, it has been, from the onset, Y2K ready. Are we lucky
              or
              > what.

            • Jeff Rossel
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 2, 2000
                The software is from http://www.nyx.net/~slindsay/dro.html
                and the card is from http://www.seanet.com/~dmauch/

                I am in the process of designing a linear strip mount for the 7x10.
                Does anyone know if the cross slide is heat treated? I would hate to
                drag parts of it to work to use their Sinker EDM.

                El Gato

                "don" <don1-@...> wrote:
                original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/7x10minilathe/?start=2633
                > Jeff,
                > What type of DRO Card did you get, and where?
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Don P.
                > Hey,
                > I just got my DRO (Digital Read Out) card for my PC and 7x10. I need
                > design a mount for the linear strip on my cross slide. So I suspect
                > that my lathe may soon have some Y2K issues.
                >

                > Jeff the cat

              • Don
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 2, 2000
                  Jeff,
                  Thanks, and no the cross slide is not heat treated. It is soft cast iron.

                  Please keep us updated as to how your DRO works.
                  Don P.