Low cost dead center

  • rsnyder187@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2001
      I have a HF7x10 lathe and and looking to buy a 3MT and a 2MT. HF and
      Grizzley have only live centers shown.

      I checked several places and they are charging $50 each. Any
      suggestions on a source for low cost dead centers.

      Bob
    • Bruce Simpson
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2001
        Why not make one Bob?

        It shouldn't be too hard to turn up a piece of drill rod to do the trick
        and then harden and temper it.

        The great thing about lathes and mills is that they offer you the ability
        to make new tools (or parts thereof).

        On 1 Apr 01, at 13:50, rsnyder187@... wrote:

        > I have a HF7x10 lathe and and looking to buy a 3MT and a 2MT. HF and
        > Grizzley have only live centers shown.
        >
        > I checked several places and they are charging $50 each. Any
        > suggestions on a source for low cost dead centers.
      • Mert Baker
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2001
          They are not too hard to make, right on your lathe.
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2001
            MSC has them. I bought these about 2 months ago. They are made by Bison
            and are carbide tipped. What's your time worth???

            Part# Desc. Price

            00081026 NO.2 M.T. LATHE CENTER CAR.TPD $10.13

            00081034 NO.3 M.T. LATHE CENTER CAR.TPD $14.40

            Jason

            --- In 7x10minilathe@y..., rsnyder187@y... wrote:
            > I have a HF7x10 lathe and and looking to buy a 3MT and a 2MT. HF and
            > Grizzley have only live centers shown.
            >
            > I checked several places and they are charging $50 each. Any
            > suggestions on a source for low cost dead centers.
            >
            > Bob
          • Dave Jarzyna
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 4, 2001
              Micromark is showing an MT-3 dead center for their Microlux 7X12
              (asian) pt# 82508 $4.95 Pg 3 of new catalog-(code=14012)
              http://www.micromark.com/
              DRJ

            • krs1948@home.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 18, 2001