Re: Now what

  • reg.craft
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 21, 2013
      I began this hobby shortly before my 70th birthday and I am learning more and more each day. This group is great, also a couple of others. I don't contribute as much as I had hoped but when the weather warms and I get more active in my shop I will try to do more.

      --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, Philip Lester <philiplester@...> wrote:

      > How old were you went started this hobby?
      >

      > On 03/21/2013 09:08 AM, Ted Miller wrote:
      > >

      > > I just turn 69 and I still enjoy learning.
      > > Ted

    • rudi oudshoorn
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 21, 2013
        Going on 74 and just got one a few moths ago.
        Rudi

        Hey - you're just a youngster compared to some of us! I'm 64 and I just got into this fairly recently (though I had some previous experience in High School shop in olden times). I'm having a great time, learning a lot, and of course, I still have a lot to learn.

        But I think it's true that no matter how long you have been doing this, you can still learn something new. That's part of what makes it fun. Side benefit: Medical studies show that learning new things as you get older helps keep your brain working better.

        --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, Philip Lester <philiplester@...> wrote:

        > And that is my next problem. I turn 52 in 2 days. Am I too old to
        > really do anything with this stuff? I wondering was any one on this
        > board as old as I am when starting to learn?
        >

        > On 03/20/2013 08:36 PM, Roy wrote:
        > > There is no generic right answer! Most of the answer depends on what you intend to use the lathe/mill for. If you're interested in doing small work, the Sherline has a lot of fans. OTOH, for large stuff, the Shopmaster has some merits. No matter how large a machine you get, there'll always be some projects that are too large for it. The other side of that is large machines are less handy for most hobby projects. That's also why used large machines are frequently available cheaply.
        > >
        > > You also need to decide if you really want to get into CNC. It's great for a production shop, less so for doing one of a kind projects. There are going to be 2 learning curves; one for basic machining + one for the software.
        > >
        > > Roy
        > >
        > > --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, Philip Lester <philiplester@> wrote:
        > >>
        > >> So here are my three choices at the moment.
        > >>
        > >> Microlux 7x and their MicroLux Milling R8
        > >>
        > >> A Sherline Ultimate Package
        > >>
        > >> or the Shopmaster Patriot listed in my last post.
        > >>
        > >> and I know how Goldie Locks felt, This one may be too small, this one
        > >> too big and the Microlux is just right.

      • Roy
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 21, 2013
          That's a really open ended question! Frequently, stuff has to be made to fit with existing parts, so the new parts have to be made accordingly. That's my perspective, keeping in mind I always seem to be making repair parts. For typical new projects there's usually a need for 2 parts to fit together - if one is a bit undersized, the mating part can frequently be made to fit. There's less flexibility when you're trying to make threaded stuff; that usually has to be made to standard sizes.

          Being 52 shouldn't keep you from doing something if you want to try it. Whether or not you get a lathe, you'll still be 53 next year. I'm 64 & still enjoy hands on stuff. The biggest change I've noticed is less tolerance to cold, mostly from side effects of BP meds.

          Shop stuff, being (mostly) mechanical skills is something that has to be done hands on to learn. There'll be a marked improvement in a relatively short time as you get comfortable with using new tools. There'll also be some debacles that help fill the scrap bin;-)

          Roy

          --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, Philip Lester <philiplester@...> wrote:

          > For hobby type stuff, how accurate does it really need to be?
          >

          > On 03/20/2013 08:36 PM, Roy wrote:
          > > There is no generic right answer! Most of the answer depends on what you intend to use the lathe/mill for. If you're interested in doing small work, the Sherline has a lot of fans. OTOH, for large stuff, the Shopmaster has some merits. No matter how large a machine you get, there'll always be some projects that are too large for it. The other side of that is large machines are less handy for most hobby projects. That's also why used large machines are frequently available cheaply.
          > >
          > > You also need to decide if you really want to get into CNC. It's great for a production shop, less so for doing one of a kind projects. There are going to be 2 learning curves; one for basic machining + one for the software.
          > >
          > > Roy
          > >
          > > --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, Philip Lester <philiplester@> wrote:
          > >>
          > >> So here are my three choices at the moment.
          > >>
          > >> Microlux 7x and their MicroLux Milling R8
          > >>
          > >> A Sherline Ultimate Package
          > >>
          > >> or the Shopmaster Patriot listed in my last post.
          > >>
          > >> and I know how Goldie Locks felt, This one may be too small, this one
          > >> too big and the Microlux is just right.

        • bigmanfun
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 22, 2013
            I was about your age.
            Thomas

            --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, Philip Lester <philiplester@...> wrote:

            > How old were you went started this hobby?
            >

            > On 03/21/2013 09:08 AM, Ted Miller wrote:
            > >

            > > I just turn 69 and I still enjoy learning.
            > > Ted

          • Milt Cochran
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 23, 2013
              I'm 72,  self-taught, (don't know as much as you guys). My first lathe was a Uni-mat back around 1972 and was a piece of junk compared to the HF. I've been working with a HF 7x10 for about 2 years now building prototypes. At one point I needed an eccentric cam so I backed out the jaws of the 3-jaw chuck and restarted them with mismatched numbers. The work piece rotated with a wobble of course but I got what I needed. This is a great machine for the money, precise cuts down to .001"
              > How old were you went started this hobby?
              >

              > On 03/21/2013 09:08 AM, Ted Miller wrote:
              > >

              > > I just turn 69 and I still enjoy learning.
              > > Ted

            • buffumjr18
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 23, 2013
                YOU owned a UNIMAT!! (ENVY! ENVY!) I always wanted one! The owner of Bobby's Hobby Lobby in Westminster, MD had one. What he could DO with it! He made landing gear for the P-3 Orion he entered in AMA scale competition! It had BRAKES! He would drill our motor mounts for all sizes of motors from half-A to .80. What was intriguing was to watch him change it from lathe to drill press.

                Every machine has its challenges. I have never owned a Hardinge lathe, either, but machinists where I used to work would gripe about this or that on it.

                Still, for the home shop machinist, to have had time on a Unimat... (sigh)