Re: Stripped Gears in headstock

  • David
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2011
      I really appreciate the link to the www.mini-lathe.com site Bill!!!!!!
      I'm having trouble with the gears on my HeadStock now ... mainly when I'm working on a larger piece of material ... not the usual small light cuts yet though ...
      I was searching for a technical drawing or a view of the inside of the HeadStock without much luck ... when I noticed your posting to this group ... :-)
      I had been on www.mini-lathe.com and www.littlemachineshop.com many times before ... but somehow didn't notice the links for changing the gears in the HeadStock ... :-(

      Your link was GREAT :-

      http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe/Tuning/headstock/Headstock.htm

      But also for another view point on the same site :-

      http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe/Tuning/tuning.htm#Headstock

      Showing a little more on how to remove the HeadStock / inspect / lubricate the gears ... ;-)

      I feel a lot more confident now ... seeing both pictures and text on how to do the work ...

      Would it be a good idea to post both of these in the 'links' area for anyone else looking for information?
      These 2 links are the only ones I have found showing the inside workings of the HeadStock ... :-(

      --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, Bill Kenny <billcnc@...> wrote:

      > It's something that is simple and can be done yourself unless you absolutely
      > do not want to for some reason or another..
      >
      > Read this link and you should be able to knock it out in no time at all. ...
      > http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe/Tuning/headstock/Headstock.htm
      >
      > On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 7:41 PM, surfcityred <surfcityred@...> wrote:
      >

      > > I have a Harbor Freight 7 X 10 mini-lathe with a stripped gear in the head
      > > stock. Is there anybody in Southern California that can reapir my lathe if I
      > > supply the parts?
      > >

      > --
      > No one should die because they cannot afford healthcare. No one should go
      > broke because they get sick, and no one should be tied to a job because of
      > pre-existing condition. If you agree, please post this as your status for
      > the rest of the day.
      >
      > Thanks
      > Bill

    • Mark
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2011
        Another source for this information is on Little Machine shop's site
        if you click on parts;
        you can choose specific models;Harbor Frt,micro mark,etc
        Above the parts,you can click on a parts diagram,with a LMS part no to go along with the number on the dissasembled break down of the machine.
        They also sell a steel gear set,if you want to get away from the plastic gears.

        --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, "David" <dfp@...> wrote:

        > I really appreciate the link to the www.mini-lathe.com site Bill!!!!!!
        > I'm having trouble with the gears on my HeadStock now ... mainly when I'm working on a larger piece of material ... not the usual small light cuts yet though ...
        > I was searching for a technical drawing or a view of the inside of the HeadStock without much luck ... when I noticed your posting to this group ... :-)
        > I had been on www.mini-lathe.com and www.littlemachineshop.com many times before ... but somehow didn't notice the links for changing the gears in the HeadStock ... :-(
        >
        > Your link was GREAT :-
        >
        > http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe/Tuning/headstock/Headstock.htm
        >
        > But also for another view point on the same site :-
        >
        > http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe/Tuning/tuning.htm#Headstock
        >
        > Showing a little more on how to remove the HeadStock / inspect / lubricate the gears ... ;-)
        >
        > I feel a lot more confident now ... seeing both pictures and text on how to do the work ...
        >
        > Would it be a good idea to post both of these in the 'links' area for anyone else looking for information?
        > These 2 links are the only ones I have found showing the inside workings of the HeadStock ... :-(
        >

        > --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, Bill Kenny <billcnc@> wrote:
        > >
        > > It's something that is simple and can be done yourself unless you absolutely
        > > do not want to for some reason or another..
        > >
        > > Read this link and you should be able to knock it out in no time at all. ...
        > > http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe/Tuning/headstock/Headstock.htm
        > >
        > > On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 7:41 PM, surfcityred <surfcityred@> wrote:
        > >

        > > > I have a Harbor Freight 7 X 10 mini-lathe with a stripped gear in the head
        > > > stock. Is there anybody in Southern California that can reapir my lathe if I
        > > > supply the parts?
        > > >

        > > --
        > > No one should die because they cannot afford healthcare. No one should go
        > > broke because they get sick, and no one should be tied to a job because of
        > > pre-existing condition. If you agree, please post this as your status for
        > > the rest of the day.
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > > Bill

      • mohamed abolhasan