Re: [7x10minilathe] Cutting Oversized Stock on the 4x6 Bandsaw

  • YK Chan
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 1, 2001
      Thanks, I will give it a try. YK
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Rick Kruger <krugerr@...>

      : There is an adjustment for vertical blade angle on the
      blade guide
      : brackets. I don't know if this will fix your problem but
      its worth a
      : try. In my (HF) Central Machinery manual it is described
      on page 18. You
      : may want to get a manual from Harbor Freight (CM's number
      is: Item Code
      : S-37151) if you don't have one.
    • Jay Ward
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 1, 2001
        Hey Rick, looking at the pics in the sub-directory makes me thing you've
        modified your base, substantially. Either that or you have a different saw. How
        about some info on what looks like a mitre base for the 4x6 bandsaw?

        Jay

        --
        Jay Ward, KE4ZOG, TRA # 5725, L2, NAR 78126, L2
        Father, Husband, Brewer, Rocket Scientist <G>
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 1, 2001
          Sorry Jay, my bandsaw is completely stock, (Harbor Freight). The only
          pictures/files in the bandsaw directory that are mine are:

          BladeAdjust.JPG scanned page
          BladeGuideB.JPG photo of blade guide "B" shown in above scan

          Was it from some of the other photos or maybe from the bandsaw mods
          directory you see the modified base or miter base? I don't know who's
          photos those are.

          My manual says the vise jaws can be set at any angle up to 45 deg., so the
          version of saw I have can already do a miter. The base could certainly use
          some stiffening, but I've not found it to be enough of an issue to do
          anthing about it, yet.

          Rick

        • ayerstg@home.net
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 1, 2001
            --- In 7x10minilathe@y..., Rick Kruger <krugerr@e...> wrote:
            > Sorry Jay, my bandsaw is completely stock, (Harbor Freight). The
            only

            Rick - yeah, but from the pics, it's the "spendy" version - I haven't
            seen the HF version, but there is a Grizzly version of your saw
            that's more than twice as expensive as the 4x6 most of us have...
            Nice saw! I believe the Grizzly versions have the cast blade guides
            internal to the frame versus the stamped steel externally mounted
            ones on our HF models, but I've read that in practice both work
            equally well.

            Anyway, that looks like a really nice variation on the basic saw I
            have... I figure the difference between that and the cheaper version
            I got will buy me that 6" Grizzly RT... heh heh heh... crossing my
            fingers...

            Tom
            Rock Island
          • Billy Moore
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 1, 2001
              Howdy to all,
              ENCO has a saw that looks about the same as the HF and Griz and close to the
              same price. $169.95 cat no.. AC505-6840 in flyer Vol 2 issue AC.

              ayerstg@... wrote:

              > --- In 7x10minilathe@y..., Rick Kruger <krugerr@e...> wrote:
              > > Sorry Jay, my bandsaw is completely stock, (Harbor Freight). The
              > only
              >
              > Rick - yeah, but from the pics, it's the "spendy" version - I haven't
              > seen the HF version, but there is a Grizzly version of your saw
              > that's more than twice as expensive as the 4x6 most of us have...
              > Nice saw! I believe the Grizzly versions have the cast blade guides
              > internal to the frame versus the stamped steel externally mounted
              > ones on our HF models, but I've read that in practice both work
              > equally well.
              >
              > Anyway, that looks like a really nice variation on the basic saw I
              > have... I figure the difference between that and the cheaper version
              > I got will buy me that 6" Grizzly RT... heh heh heh... crossing my
              > fingers...
              >
              > Tom
              > Rock Island

            • Rick Kruger
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 1, 2001
                Don't know what is up with it, but I must have gotten quite a deal because
                the saw I have was $149 from Harbor Freight. Got it just about exactly a
                year ago, picked it up from the store about 10 blocks away from me.

                Rick

                At 12:27 AM 2/2/01 +0000, you wrote:
                >--- In 7x10minilathe@y..., Rick Kruger <krugerr@e...> wrote:
                > > Sorry Jay, my bandsaw is completely stock, (Harbor Freight). The
                >only
                >
                >Rick - yeah, but from the pics, it's the "spendy" version - I haven't
                >seen the HF version, but there is a Grizzly version of your saw
                >that's more than twice as expensive as the 4x6 most of us have...
                >Nice saw! I believe the Grizzly versions have the cast blade guides
                >internal to the frame versus the stamped steel externally mounted
                >ones on our HF models, but I've read that in practice both work
                >equally well.
                >
                >Anyway, that looks like a really nice variation on the basic saw I
                >have... I figure the difference between that and the cheaper version
                >I got will buy me that 6" Grizzly RT... heh heh heh... crossing my
                >fingers...
                >
                >Tom
                >Rock Island
              • mick floyd
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 2, 2001
                  One thing to watch out for is that a bandsaw blade will cut to one side if
                  it has damaged or worn teeth on the other side

                  Mick

                  mjf@...

                  > There is an adjustment for vertical blade angle on the blade guide
                  > brackets. I don't know if this will fix your problem but its worth a
                  > try. In my (HF) Central Machinery manual it is described on page 18. You
                  > may want to get a manual from Harbor Freight (CM's number is: Item Code
                  > S-37151) if you don't have one.
                • Jay Ward
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 2, 2001
                    Rick Kruger wrote:

                    > Sorry Jay, my bandsaw is completely stock, (Harbor Freight). The only
                    > pictures/files in the bandsaw directory that are mine are:
                    >
                    > BladeAdjust.JPG scanned page
                    > BladeGuideB.JPG photo of blade guide "B" shown in above scan
                    >
                    > Was it from some of the other photos or maybe from the bandsaw mods
                    > directory you see the modified base or miter base? I don't know who'sphotos
                    > those are.

                    Photo's were in the same directory, different date. here's the link

                    http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/vault/Bandsaw/Dcp00518.jpg

                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 2, 2001
                      One way to cut the same size stock on one pass, that
                      normally takes two is to -----
                      Find a way to mount the stock outside of the mounting bay,
                      such that the piece to be part is inside of the bay. This
                      way the stock body will be out of the way to the bow body.
                      This produce a new problem, some sort of pedestole to
                      suspand the stock.
                      YK
                    • Rick Kruger
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 4, 2001
                        The photo you gave the link for below looks to be the same bandsaw as what
                        JWE posted a photo of subsequently. These are different from mine, but I
                        believe both are capable of cutting a miter angle. Theirs does it by
                        pivoting the whole blade assembly, the kind I have does it by pivoting the
                        table jaws.

                        Rick

                        At 08:58 PM 2/2/01 +0500, you wrote:

                        >Rick Kruger wrote:
                        >
                        > > Sorry Jay, my bandsaw is completely stock, (Harbor Freight). The only
                        > > pictures/files in the bandsaw directory that are mine are:
                        > >
                        > > BladeAdjust.JPG scanned page
                        > > BladeGuideB.JPG photo of blade guide "B" shown in above scan
                        > >
                        > > Was it from some of the other photos or maybe from the bandsaw mods
                        > > directory you see the modified base or miter base? I don't know
                        > who'sphotos
                        > > those are.
                        >
                        >Photo's were in the same directory, different date. here's the link
                        >
                        >http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/vault/Bandsaw/Dcp00518.jpg
                        >
                        >--
                        >
                        >Jay Ward, KE4ZOG, TRA # 5725, L2, NAR 78126, L2
                        >Father, Husband, Brewer, Rocket Scientist <G>
                        >check out the Brewery http://www.gate.net/~jaywward
                        >rockets http://www.gate.net/~jaywward/coresample.htm
                      • Jack Fuselier
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 5, 2001
                          Rick Kruger wrote:

                          > The photo you gave the link for below looks to be the same bandsaw as
                          > what
                          > JWE posted a photo of subsequently. These are different from mine,
                          > but I
                          > believe both are capable of cutting a miter angle. Theirs does it by
                          > pivoting the whole blade assembly, the kind I have does it by pivoting
                          > the
                          > table jaws.
                          >
                          > Rick

                          I looked at that link also. and the 20 year old import I have also
                          pivots the jaws instead. I scribed my most common cuts on the table.
                          I'd like to know if this unit can be set up to cut as an upright
                          bandsaw by bolting on the accessory table? Jack F
                          =================
                          If wearing a handgun is not a good means
                          of self defense, why do police wear them?
                          <http://www.gunsmith.fuselier.com> East Texas
                        • Mert Baker
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 5, 2001
                            There was a small table included with my saw when it came.  Never used it, but I'm keeping it just in case.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 5, 2001
                              Jack,

                              The newer model certainly can, as Mert notes, it comes with a table an
                              upright setup. I believe, one of the directories in Ty's vault
                              (BandsawMods?), next door to the one I put photos in is all about making a
                              better table for upright use.
                              http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/vault/Bandsaw_Mods/

                              If you note the dates of those photos and hunt through the 7x10 message
                              archives aroung that time, you could probably locate the posted message
                              that talks the table mod. Or maybe whoever did it will chime in.

                              Rick