Re: WE NEED A SEPARATE SECTION

  • Michael Taglieri
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
      > I am getting really tired of seeing political agenda and discussions on a
      > board supposedly dedicated to the home machinest.

      Sorry to break the news to you, Boyd, but this is NOT a group for talking
      about machining. It's a group for machinists to talk about whever they
      want. When you signed up, you must have seen the website for this group,
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/7x10minilathe/ but I guess you didn't read
      it. Here's what it says:

      There is a fair amount of off topic banter on subjects of interest to the
      hobbyists that gather here. If you are unable to skip over what doesn't
      interest you or have trouble controlling yourself in the presence of folks
      that disagree with you someone set up a tightly moderated group HERE.

      If you want talking on machining and nothing but machining, go back to the
      website for this group and click on the "HERE" and you'll get taken to the
      other group. And in the future, figure out what a group is for before you
      join it.
    • Michael Taglieri
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
        > I am getting really tired of seeing political agenda and discussions on a
        > board supposedly dedicated to the home machinest.

        Sorry to break the news to you, Boyd, but this is NOT a group for talking
        about machining. It's a group for machinists to talk about whever they
        want. When you signed up, you must have seen the website for this group,
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/7x10minilathe/ but I guess you didn't bother
        to read it. Here's what it says:

        There is a fair amount of off topic banter on subjects of interest to
        the hobbyists that gather here. If you are unable to skip over what
        doesn't interest you or have trouble controlling yourself in the
        presence of folks that disagree with you someone set up a tightly
        moderated group HERE.

        If you want talking on machining and nothing but machining, go back to the
        website for this group and click on the "HERE" and you'll get taken to that
        "tightly moderated" group. And next time, figure out what a group is about
        before you join it.

        Mike Taglieri miket_nyc@...
      • Dave Mucha
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
          If anyone asks WHY we do not get to talk about machining, it is because we send people away instead of talking about machining.

          if anyone wants to note WHO sends them away, it is our list lurker who rarely posts anything but to tell people where else to go.

          keeping the list free of actual machining questions seems to be the goal sometimes.

          Dave

          --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Taglieri" <miket_nyc@...> wrote:

          > > I am getting really tired of seeing political agenda and discussions on a
          > > board supposedly dedicated to the home machinest.
          >
          > Sorry to break the news to you, Boyd, but this is NOT a group for talking
          > about machining. It's a group for machinists to talk about whever they
          > want. When you signed up, you must have seen the website for this group,
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/7x10minilathe/ but I guess you didn't bother
          > to read it. Here's what it says:
          >
          > There is a fair amount of off topic banter on subjects of interest to
          > the hobbyists that gather here. If you are unable to skip over what
          > doesn't interest you or have trouble controlling yourself in the
          > presence of folks that disagree with you someone set up a tightly
          > moderated group HERE.
          >
          > If you want talking on machining and nothing but machining, go back to the
          > website for this group and click on the "HERE" and you'll get taken to that
          > "tightly moderated" group. And next time, figure out what a group is about
          > before you join it.
          >
          > Mike Taglieri miket_nyc@...

        • Dave Mucha
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
            --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, "lesleynward" <lesleynward@...> wrote:

            > Well, arguing is what we do.

            it has been quite awhile since we had more machining posts than political. used to be 3/4 machining, 1/4 political.

            I think that if you search the list, you will find that the change was when Mike T decided to quite posting machining, left the list, then started posting the link to the other list.

            Then last September or so, we had a guy who was so disruptive and so argumentative he earned a nickname. that sent most of the old time machinists away.

            I just wanted to counter the posts of Mike T who has been very successful in keeping out new members. and wanted to point out that he is keep that up quite well.

            Dave
          • lesleynward
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 2, 2009
              That may very well be true. Then make your deeling known to me and let me deal with it.

              Sam

              --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Mucha" <dave_mucha@...> wrote:

              > --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, "lesleynward" <lesleynward@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Well, arguing is what we do.
              >

              > it has been quite awhile since we had more machining posts than political. used to be 3/4 machining, 1/4 political.
              >
              > I think that if you search the list, you will find that the change was when Mike T decided to quite posting machining, left the list, then started posting the link to the other list.
              >
              > Then last September or so, we had a guy who was so disruptive and so argumentative he earned a nickname. that sent most of the old time machinists away.
              >
              > I just wanted to counter the posts of Mike T who has been very successful in keeping out new members. and wanted to point out that he is keep that up quite well.
              >
              > Dave

            • Michael Taglieri
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 4, 2009
                You're right, I rarely post anything here nowadays, because the 7x12
                minilathe group is the best place to discuss machining. But you can't blame
                me for "keeping the list free of actual machining questions." You guys are
                doing a fine job of that yourselves.

                Mike Taglieri miket_nyc@...

                Everyone has his reasons.
                - Jean Renoir "The Rules of the Game"