[7x10minilathe] Re: aluminum

  • MMEAGHER
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 1999
      The density of aluminum is 0.0975 lb/in³. Multiply that by the volume of the
      piece in question and you have your answer. In this case, a 3 inch diameter
      bar 6 inches long would weigh:

      0.0975 x (pi x r² x h ) = 0.0975 x (pi x 1.5² x 6) = 4.14 lbs.

      Mike
      Carrollton, TX (at work)

      > I was wondering how much does a 6" long by 3" dia bar of aluminum
      > weigh?
      >
      > I think i would be interested in buying some aluminum from you...but im
      > not sure how much, or what to get
      >
      > Tyler
    • Robert Hood
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 15, 2000
        Hi All,

        I was wondering, does anyone know if old car wheels would be good
        aluminum, either to cut from, or to cut up and melt down. I was just
        buying new tire the other day, and noticed all kinds of old rims
        piled up out back of the shop. I thought if I could cut them up, I
        could melt them down for small castings.

        Anyone tried this, or know what they are made from.

        Robert Hood
        Flagstaff, AZ
      • Corey Renner
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 16, 2000
          Rob,
          I saw something about this in the hobbicast group a little while
          back. I think that a couple of people said that you can use
          sandpaper to make a clean spot, then pour vinegar on it. Magnesium
          turned black, but aluminum stayed silver. I don't remember the
          details, and I might have it backwards, check their archive and I'm
          sure you'll find the answer.

          --- In 7x10minilathe@egroups.com, "Robert Hood" <delphi7x10@a...>