Re: [7x10minilathe] Re: changing lathe speeds

  • Mark Wendt (Contractor)
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
      At 12:59 AM 1/1/2009, you wrote:
      > > I own a grizzly 10x22 G0602 and the slowest speed it has is 150
      > > RPM. is there any way to change a pulley to slow it down? and how
      > > would i do this. i have threaded at 150 RPM but it is kinda fast to
      > > make threads. anyone in the group with any experience with this.
      > > thanks in advance joe gifford aka argie1891
      >
      >It's better to forget about threading with the motor and make a hand crank
      >for the spindle. There are several designs available in the photo section.
      >Doing it with a crank, you can thread right up to a shoulder with no danger
      >of hitting. I haven't cut a thread with the motor since I bought my lathe
      >in 2001.
      >
      >Mike Taglieri miket_nyc@...

      It's really not all that hard to thread with the motor though. I
      hadn't done any single point threading on a lathe since high school
      back more than 30 years ago. Had to cut a 3/4" x 16 thread on two
      spindles for a CNC machine I'm making that are made out of 0-2
      steel. Once you get the rhythm down, it really wasn't that
      difficult. Might be a little more difficult cutting a 4-40 thread or
      a 2-56, but just trust the thread dial and keep yer hands on the
      crossfeed wheel and the half nut handle.

      Mark
    • roylowenthal
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
        Your 10x22 has a different motor arrangement than the 7xX machines.
        You've got the classic stepped pulley arrangement that gives increased
        torque at lower speeds; the 7xX machines use a variable speed motor
        that loses torque at lower speeds. One of the tradeoffs is the ability
        of the variable speed motor to give spindle speeds under 50 rpm.
        Still, on small parts, a handcrank takes the excitement out of stopping
        before the tool crashes into the chuck;-)

        It's even nicer when cutting metric approximations, since you can't
        disengage the half-nuts while cutting them. What I do on relatively
        long threads is cut with the handcrank & use power to return the tool
        to starting position for the next pass. Since it's stupidly hazardous,
        I make sure I'm well clear of moving pieces & have no witnesses!

        Roy

        --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, "argie1891" <argie1891@...> wrote:

        > I own a grizzly 10x22 G0602 and the slowest speed it has is 150 RPM.
        > is there any way to change a pulley to slow it down? and how would i
        > do this. i have threaded at 150 RPM but it is kinda fast to make
        > threads. anyone in the group with any experience with this. thanks in
        > advance joe gifford aka argie1891

      • AnaLog Services, Inc.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
          I do the same thing,  No witnesses is an important element of much of what I do.
          I make losts of mistakes.