Electrical switch wiring questions

  • Mark Wendt (Contractor)
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2008
      I've got two SPST lighted rocker switches, with a different wiring
      configuration between the two. One switch has four terminal spades,
      two for the switch itself, and two for the light. The second switch
      has three terminal spades, two for the switch and one for the light
      (I'm assuming a common ground between the two?). I'd like to wire
      these switches so that the light comes on when the switch is set to
      the "on" position. I don't have a wiring diagram for either of the
      switches, and the information on the web site where I bought the
      switches says that in order for the light to turn on when the switch
      is set to on, I need to "wire it through the switch." I'm a bit
      confused here, not having ever wired up either of these two styles of switch.

      My thoughts so far on the wiring are: The switch with four terminal
      spades - wire a jumper between the hot side of the switch and the hot
      side of the light, and the same for the neutral side of the switch
      and the neutral side of the light. On the three terminal spade
      switch, jumper between the hot side of the switch and the terminal
      spade with the little "light bulb" stamped in it.

      Does that sound about right for either of the two switches?

      Mark
    • Ken Strauss
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2008
        For the 4-terminal switch:
        Connect the incoming power hot to one switch terminal
        Connect the load hot plus one terminal of the lamp to the other switch
        terminal
        Connect the incoming power neutral to the other terminal of the lamp and to
        the neutral side of the load.

        For the 3-terminal switch:
        Connect the incoming power to the independent switch terminal
        Connect the hot side of the load to the combined switch/light terminal
        Connect the incoming power neutral to the independent light terminal and to
        the neutral side of the load.

      • William N White
        Message 3 of 13 , May 1, 2008
          --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Wendt (Contractor)"
          <mark.wendt@...> wrote:

          > I've got two SPST lighted rocker switches, with a different wiring
          > configuration between the two. One switch has four terminal
          spades,
          > two for the switch itself, and two for the light. The second
          switch
          > has three terminal spades, two for the switch and one for the light
          > (I'm assuming a common ground between the two?). I'd like to wire
          > these switches so that the light comes on when the switch is set to
          > the "on" position. I don't have a wiring diagram for either of the
          > switches, and the information on the web site where I bought the
          > switches says that in order for the light to turn on when the
          switch
          > is set to on, I need to "wire it through the switch." I'm a bit
          > confused here, not having ever wired up either of these two styles
          of switch.

          > My thoughts so far on the wiring are: The switch with four
          terminal
          > spades - wire a jumper between the hot side of the switch and the
          hot
          > side of the light, and the same for the neutral side of the switch
          > and the neutral side of the light. On the three terminal spade
          > switch, jumper between the hot side of the switch and the terminal
          > spade with the little "light bulb" stamped in it.
          >
          > Does that sound about right for either of the two switches?
          >
          > Mark
          >Hey mark be careful, Get you a multi-meter and check out the
          continuity on those switches before trying to hook them up. From your
          discription sounds like you have a dpdt and a threeway. Check to make
          sure. You will save yourself a lot of grief. Luck Billw
        • Harvey White
          Message 4 of 13 , May 1, 2008
            On Thu, 01 May 2008 07:27:12 -0400, you wrote:

            >I've got two SPST lighted rocker switches, with a different wiring
            >configuration between the two. One switch has four terminal spades,
            >two for the switch itself, and two for the light. The second switch
            >has three terminal spades, two for the switch and one for the light
            >(I'm assuming a common ground between the two?). I'd like to wire
            >these switches so that the light comes on when the switch is set to
            >the "on" position. I don't have a wiring diagram for either of the
            >switches, and the information on the web site where I bought the
            >switches says that in order for the light to turn on when the switch
            >is set to on, I need to "wire it through the switch." I'm a bit
            >confused here, not having ever wired up either of these two styles of switch.
            >
            >My thoughts so far on the wiring are: The switch with four terminal
            >spades - wire a jumper between the hot side of the switch and the hot
            >side of the light, and the same for the neutral side of the switch
            >and the neutral side of the light.

            Not quite. If the switch has four terminals, two for the light and
            two for the switch, and the light is completely separate, then you
            have a single pole single throw switch.

            Switch is mounted in series with the hot wire going into the equipment
            to interrupt the hot lead. Light is wired from power to ground on the
            switched side of the power.

            >On the three terminal spade
            >switch, jumper between the hot side of the switch and the terminal
            >spade with the little "light bulb" stamped in it.

            Nope, that puts the light bulb in parallel with the switch, which
            means that with the switch closed, you have no light, and with it
            open, you have a trickle of current through the light to the
            equipment. *not* recommended since that keeps the equipment partially
            hot.

            Same thing here as above. Wire the free switch terminal to hot coming
            in, wire the common terminal (light and switch) to the equipment, and
            ground the light terminal.

            Note that all of these lights I assume to have a built in resistor and
            to be rated for the line voltage.

            Note: sketch the diagram of the switch and the light out to see why
            this needs to be wired only certain ways.

            Harvey

            >Does that sound about right for either of the two switches?
            >
            >Mark

          • Dave Mucha
            Message 5 of 13 , May 1, 2008
              Hi Mark,

              I have to agree with Mr. White. get a meter and test for resistances.

              And Mr. White has a point too.

              Dave

              <mark.wendt@...> wrote:

              > I've got two SPST lighted rocker switches, with a different wiring
              > configuration between the two. One switch has four terminal spades,
              > two for the switch itself, and two for the light. The second switch
              > has three terminal spades, two for the switch and one for the light
              > (I'm assuming a common ground between the two?). I'd like to wire
              > these switches so that the light comes on when the switch is set to
              > the "on" position. I don't have a wiring diagram for either of the
              > switches, and the information on the web site where I bought the
              > switches says that in order for the light to turn on when the switch
              > is set to on, I need to "wire it through the switch." I'm a bit
              > confused here, not having ever wired up either of these two styles
              of switch.

              > My thoughts so far on the wiring are: The switch with four terminal
              > spades - wire a jumper between the hot side of the switch and the hot
              > side of the light, and the same for the neutral side of the switch
              > and the neutral side of the light. On the three terminal spade
              > switch, jumper between the hot side of the switch and the terminal
              > spade with the little "light bulb" stamped in it.
              >
              > Does that sound about right for either of the two switches?
              >
              > Mark

            • Mark Wendt (Contractor)
              Message 6 of 13 , May 2, 2008
                Ken,

                Thanks for the info. It all worked! And no magic smoke released!

                Mark

                At 01:11 PM 5/1/2008, you wrote:
                >For the 4-terminal switch:
                >Connect the incoming power hot to one switch terminal
                >Connect the load hot plus one terminal of the lamp to the other switch
                >terminal
                >Connect the incoming power neutral to the other terminal of the lamp and to
                >the neutral side of the load.
                >

                >For the 3-terminal switch:
                >Connect the incoming power to the independent switch terminal
                >Connect the hot side of the load to the combined switch/light terminal
                >Connect the incoming power neutral to the independent light terminal and to
                >the neutral side of the load.

              • Mark Wendt (Contractor)
                Message 7 of 13 , May 2, 2008
                  At 01:29 PM 5/1/2008, you wrote:
                  >--- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Wendt (Contractor)"
                  ><mark.wendt@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I've got two SPST lighted rocker switches, with a different wiring
                  > > configuration between the two. One switch has four terminal
                  >spades,
                  > > two for the switch itself, and two for the light. The second
                  >switch
                  > > has three terminal spades, two for the switch and one for the light
                  > > (I'm assuming a common ground between the two?). I'd like to wire
                  > > these switches so that the light comes on when the switch is set to
                  > > the "on" position. I don't have a wiring diagram for either of the
                  > > switches, and the information on the web site where I bought the
                  > > switches says that in order for the light to turn on when the
                  >switch
                  > > is set to on, I need to "wire it through the switch." I'm a bit
                  > > confused here, not having ever wired up either of these two styles
                  >of switch.
                  > >
                  > > My thoughts so far on the wiring are: The switch with four
                  >terminal
                  > > spades - wire a jumper between the hot side of the switch and the
                  >hot
                  > > side of the light, and the same for the neutral side of the switch
                  > > and the neutral side of the light. On the three terminal spade
                  > > switch, jumper between the hot side of the switch and the terminal
                  > > spade with the little "light bulb" stamped in it.
                  > >
                  > > Does that sound about right for either of the two switches?
                  > >
                  > > Mark
                  > >Hey mark be careful, Get you a multi-meter and check out the
                  >continuity on those switches before trying to hook them up. From your
                  >discription sounds like you have a dpdt and a threeway. Check to make
                  >sure. You will save yourself a lot of grief. Luck Billw

                  Hi Bill,

                  Nope, they were both SPST switches. I checked that out as soon as I
                  got 'em in the mail.

                  Mark
                • Mark Wendt (Contractor)
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 2, 2008
                    At 03:03 PM 5/1/2008, you wrote:

                    >Not quite. If the switch has four terminals, two for the light and
                    >two for the switch, and the light is completely separate, then you
                    >have a single pole single throw switch.
                    >
                    >Switch is mounted in series with the hot wire going into the equipment
                    >to interrupt the hot lead. Light is wired from power to ground on the
                    >switched side of the power.
                    >

                    >Nope, that puts the light bulb in parallel with the switch, which
                    >means that with the switch closed, you have no light, and with it
                    >open, you have a trickle of current through the light to the
                    >equipment. *not* recommended since that keeps the equipment partially
                    >hot.
                    >
                    >Same thing here as above. Wire the free switch terminal to hot coming
                    >in, wire the common terminal (light and switch) to the equipment, and
                    >ground the light terminal.
                    >
                    >Note that all of these lights I assume to have a built in resistor and
                    >to be rated for the line voltage.
                    >
                    >Note: sketch the diagram of the switch and the light out to see why
                    >this needs to be wired only certain ways.
                    >

                    >Harvey

                    Harv,

                    It took me a while, but I got it all fingered out. Lot of
                    confused looks from me when I started out, but eventually I got 'er
                    done. Lights work when they's supposed to, and equipment turns on
                    when they's supposed to. And no magic smoke released...
                    Mark
                  • Mark Wendt (Contractor)
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 2, 2008
                      Dave,

                      My joltmeter is always setting on the bench next to me when
                      I start a wiring or electronics project... ;-) I'd just never wired
                      in lighted switches before, and after much hair pulling, pondering,
                      procrastinating, etc, the switches are wired in, work correctly, and
                      no magic smoke was released nor small animals harmed during the
                      course of the wiring.

                      At 05:17 PM 5/1/2008, you wrote:
                      >Hi Mark,
                      >
                      >I have to agree with Mr. White. get a meter and test for resistances.
                      >
                      >And Mr. White has a point too.
                      >
                      >Dave
                      >
                      >--- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Wendt (Contractor)"
                      ><mark.wendt@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I've got two SPST lighted rocker switches, with a different wiring
                      > > configuration between the two. One switch has four terminal spades,
                      > > two for the switch itself, and two for the light. The second switch
                      > > has three terminal spades, two for the switch and one for the light
                      > > (I'm assuming a common ground between the two?). I'd like to wire
                      > > these switches so that the light comes on when the switch is set to
                      > > the "on" position. I don't have a wiring diagram for either of the
                      > > switches, and the information on the web site where I bought the
                      > > switches says that in order for the light to turn on when the switch
                      > > is set to on, I need to "wire it through the switch." I'm a bit
                      > > confused here, not having ever wired up either of these two styles
                      >of switch.
                      > >
                      > > My thoughts so far on the wiring are: The switch with four terminal
                      > > spades - wire a jumper between the hot side of the switch and the hot
                      > > side of the light, and the same for the neutral side of the switch
                      > > and the neutral side of the light. On the three terminal spade
                      > > switch, jumper between the hot side of the switch and the terminal
                      > > spade with the little "light bulb" stamped in it.
                      > >
                      > > Does that sound about right for either of the two switches?
                      > >
                      > > Mark
                    • Ken Strauss
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 2, 2008
                        Great! I had forgotten to ask about the voltage of the bulb. I have some
                        switches here with 24volt bulbs and 550volt rated contacts...

                      • Mark Wendt (Contractor)
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 2, 2008
                          Both switches were rated for 125 VAC, as were the "neon" bulbs in them.

                          Mark

                        • Harvey White
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 2, 2008
                            On Fri, 02 May 2008 06:59:30 -0400, you wrote:

                            >At 03:03 PM 5/1/2008, you wrote:

                            <snip>
                            >Harv,
                            >
                            > It took me a while, but I got it all fingered out. Lot of
                            >confused looks from me when I started out, but eventually I got 'er
                            >done. Lights work when they's supposed to, and equipment turns on
                            >when they's supposed to. And no magic smoke released...
                            >Mark

                            Excellent, now you know how the thing works.

                            Harvey
                          • Mark Wendt (Contractor)
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 3, 2008
                              At 06:51 PM 5/2/2008, you wrote:
                              >On Fri, 02 May 2008 06:59:30 -0400, you wrote:
                              >
                              > >At 03:03 PM 5/1/2008, you wrote:
                              > >
                              ><snip>
                              > >Harv,
                              > >
                              > > It took me a while, but I got it all fingered out. Lot of
                              > >confused looks from me when I started out, but eventually I got 'er
                              > >done. Lights work when they's supposed to, and equipment turns on
                              > >when they's supposed to. And no magic smoke released...
                              > >Mark
                              >

                              >Excellent, now you know how the thing works.
                              >
                              >Harvey

                              Yeah, and the good thing is, I wasn't on a deadline... ;-)

                              Mark