Re: [7x10minilathe] Re: 7X8 MINI LATHE,

  • Michael Taglieri
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 1, 2008
      Mert is right, although I'm not too upset about the "inscrutable Oriental"
      manufacturers using a method of measuring that understates the lathe's real
      capacity rather than exaggerating it. A pity they don't have the same
      attitude when measuring horsepower.

      But it would make the most sense of all to measure lathes from the face of
      the spindle to the tailstock barrel, because "center to center" varies
      depending on what center you're using. I bought MT3 and MT2 centers from
      Enco and they're gigantic things that could support a hole made by a 1"
      center drill. There are certainly lathes that need centers that big, but
      the dead center stuck out of the tailstock barrel about 1 1/2". Since then
      I've made a dead center that doesn't protrude from the tailstock barrel more
      than 1/2", giving me quite a bit more useful center-to-center distance.

      Mike Taglieri miket_nyc@...

      Everyone has his reasons.
      - Jean Renoir "The Rules of the Game"

      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 1, 2008
        We know this, but how many others do not?
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 1, 2008
          I agree.  Note that the Griz 9x19 became the 9x20 when they shortened the centers up a little.  Face of the spindle to face of the TS ram makes sense.  In the olden days, when I was leaning about machine work, all the centers stuck out of the tapers about 1 diameter.  Further, when turning between centers, the center is inserted in the workpiece, and that dimension varies.  Face to face is the way to go.  Now, I wonder whether it is already.  Anyone actually measured?  Mert

          Mike Taglieri miket_nyc@verizon. net

          Everyone has his reasons.
          - Jean Renoir "The Rules of the Game"

          I believe he has a 7x10 labeled correctly as a 7x8. CMT brand if I recall.

          James
          > When I saw your post, I took the "7x8" designation to mean you had one
          > of the smaller than 7x10 lathes. Since I've no idea what they have for
          > drive, I left it alone. I suspect I'm not the only one who reacted
          > that way.
          >
          > What lathe do you actually have?
          >
          > Roy
          >
          > --- In 7x10minilathe@ yahoogroups. com, "shawn galloway"
          > <gallowayshawn@ ...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I posted yesterday and did not really get much of an answer, i
          > already
          > > emailed littlemachineshop. com, i thought maybe some of you would have
          > > an answer. as said earlier, when i first used the lathe it ran fine,
          > > but then it would run slow no matter what the speed setting. then it
          > > would speed up and slow down. then it ran fine. now though it runs
          > > slow. i checked the brushes and the potentiometer, but not sure what
          > > is going on.

        • roylowenthal
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 1, 2008
            With most commercial centers, that'll give you a length much shorter
            than the lathe's nameplate size! For "between centers" measurement,
            the centers should have minimal protrusion; the 60° conical section's
            maximum diameter should coincide with the end of lathe's taper socket.

            Roy

            --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Mucha" <dave_mucha@...>
            wrote:

            > The proper term for the size of a lathe is "between centers"
            >
            > Put a dead center in the tailstock and a solid center in the
            headstock
            > and measure.
            >
            > The measurement shows the longest piece you can turn in the lathe.
            >
            > Dave
            >

            > --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, "roylowenthal"
            > <roylowenthal@> wrote:
            > >
            > > That length designation is incorrect! Lathe length is measured
            from
            > > spindle to tailstock, not chuck face to tailstock. When measured
            in
            > > the industry standard fashion, the 7x10 is a 10" long machine;
            the
            > > 7x12 is actually a 7x14!
            > >
            > > For speed control troubleshooting issues, there's a good guide on
            the
            > > LMS site:
            > >
            > > http://www.littlemachineshop.com/Reference/reference.php
            > >
            > > Roy
            > >
            > > --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, "James04" <james04@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Roy,
            > > >
            > > > I believe he has a 7x10 labeled correctly as a 7x8. CMT brand
            if I
            > > recall.
            > > >

            > > > James

          • roylowenthal
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 1, 2008
              Apparently, quite a few;-( It's tempting to make it a periodic auto
              post!

              Roy

              --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, "Mert Baker" <mertbaker@...>