Re: Pulse Generator

  • jcastanton
    Message 1 of 82 , Jan 1, 2008
      Have you considered using a microcontroller? I have a MPS430 running
      beside me at the moment as a pulse generator. I imagine that you
      could use a voltage divider and one of the ADC's to provide the
      control. I believe that there is a temperature controlled voltage
      source on the chip to give a stable control voltage.

      --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, "AnaLog Services, Inc."
      <analog@...> wrote:

      > I am stumped by an electronics problem. Since you guys have such a
      diverse base of arcane knowlege, I thought it might be worth it to ask
      in here.

      > I need a one chip solution for a pulse generator running at about 1
      kHz, and with resistor selectable pulse width from a couple of
      microseconds to maybe 30 microseconds. The 4538 seems ideal for this,
      but I cannot figure out how to make it free run (astable). The 4047
      has an astable option, but it would take two chips to handle the pulse
      shaping.

      > I initially ipmplemeted this gizmo with a 4011, and did the diode
      duty cycle trick. But it will not go down below 20 microseconds or
      so, and the frequency is greatly influenced by changing the pulse width.

      > It might be possible to do it with a couple of Scmidtt triggers, but
      I have little experience with those and do not know how temperature
      stable it would be.

      > TIA
      >
      > Syd

    • Dave Mucha
      Message 82 of 82 , Mar 13, 2008
        Best I can tell, it costs about $10,000 for the cheap one.

        Seems if you want something similar, but can focus it by hand, try the
        QX5 or one of the USB type microscopes.

        Dave