Re: [7x10minilathe] Re: Chinese horsepower

  • Doug Pfaff
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 1, 2007
      I have a t-shirt with that very question on it
      somewhere in my closet, Mert.

    • Gregg Eshelman
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 1, 2007
        --- Dave Mucha <dave_mucha@...> wrote:
        <clip>
        > Some lessons to be gleamed from this are that,
        >
        > Anyone wanting to go faster than light is in the
        > dark.
        >
        > Anyone who tries to illuminate the path is blinded
        > by the light.

        "Cut loose like a deuce another runner in the night
        Blinded by the light
        She got down but she never got tight, but she'll make
        it alright"

        http://www.brucespringsteen.net/songs/BlindedByTheLight.html

      • Mark Wendt (Contractor)
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 1, 2007
          Unca Mert,

                   That would be Speed Of Light (SOL) + 1.  Because we all know, when you're SOL, you're goin' like hell to get away from it.

          Mark

          At 02:06 AM 4/1/2007, you wrote:
          This also raises the question:  We know the speed of light, but what is the speed of dark, eh?  Tell me that.
          Mert

          mertbaker@...
          > Hard to beat a trained scientific mind. Here I have always thought
          is was the small size of Chinese horses, but you have clearly hit on
          the correct solution to the problem.
          > Now, with the obvious time dilation, do you suppose this means that
          the Chinese have secretly found how to travel at the speed of light,
          and are about to launch an interstellar spaceship?
          > Mert

          travel at the speed of light ? impossible. Everyone who has tried
          found they were going faster than light, ergo, it was dark and the
          didn't know where they were going. Subsequnet attempts were tried,
          but with the addition of head lights.

          First law of light-speed travel is to NOT turn on your headlights.

          You immediately run into them.

          Some lessons to be gleamed from this are that,

          Anyone wanting to go faster than light is in the dark.

          Anyone who tries to illuminate the path is blinded by the light.

          Dave
        • jcastanton
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 1, 2007
            Chinese horsepower is like Chinese food. Have some and in no time you
            are hungry again, looking for more.

            --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, "Mert Baker" <mertbaker@...> wrote:

            > Hard to beat a trained scientific mind. Here I have always thought
            is was the small size of Chinese horses, but you have clearly hit on
            the correct solution to the problem.
            > Now, with the obvious time dilation, do you suppose this means that
            the Chinese have secretly found how to travel at the speed of light,
            and are about to launch an interstellar spaceship?
            > Mert
            >
            > mertbaker@...

          • jcastanton
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 1, 2007
              Those rapid Chinese horses are obviously suffering from the
              relativistic effect which makes them shorter and heavier. No wonder
              they deliver less.

            • jcastanton
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 1, 2007
                Why is it dark at all with so much light pouring into the universe?
                It is because the universe is expanding and soaking up the light.
                Therefore the speed of dark is the speed of the expansion of the universe.

              • roylowenthal
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 1, 2007
                  I don't think it's as esoteric as time dilation, just a different
                  unit with the same name. Sort of like imperial gallons vs. U.S.
                  gallons. Future investigations should attempt to establish exact
                  conversion factors and include an effort to devise a distinctive name
                  for the Chinese units.

                  Roy

                  wrote:

                  > Hard to beat a trained scientific mind. Here I have always thought
                  is was the small size of Chinese horses, but you have clearly hit on
                  the correct solution to the problem.
                  > Now, with the obvious time dilation, do you suppose this means
                  that the Chinese have secretly found how to travel at the speed of
                  light, and are about to launch an interstellar spaceship?
                  > Mert
                  >
                  > mertbaker@...

                • Steve Monroe
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 1, 2007
                    How about we start at home and see if we can get Sears to publish real world HP numbers? From my experience with Craftsman products, I'll opt for the Chinese method over theirs.
                    Thanks
                    Steve in OK

                    wrote:

                    > Hard to beat a trained scientific mind. Here I have always thought
                    is was the small size of Chinese horses, but you have clearly hit on
                    the correct solution to the problem.
                    > Now, with the obvious time dilation, do you suppose this means
                    that the Chinese have secretly found how to travel at the speed of
                    light, and are about to launch an interstellar spaceship?
                    > Mert
                    >
                    > mertbaker@.. .

                  • Dave Mucha
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 1, 2007
                      --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, "roylowenthal"
                      <roylowenthal@...> wrote:

                      > I don't think it's as esoteric as time dilation, just a different
                      > unit with the same name. Sort of like imperial gallons vs. U.S.
                      > gallons. Future investigations should attempt to establish exact
                      > conversion factors and include an effort to devise a distinctive name
                      > for the Chinese units.
                      >
                      > Roy

                      I think you are correct. Once you get into either time dilation or
                      time compression, things get hard to understand.

                      If a 1 hp American motor pulls 1 dead horse 1 foot in one minute, and
                      a 1 Hp Chineese motor pulls 1 dead horse 1 foot in one minute we know
                      SOMETHING is different.

                      We could assume that the size of the horse is different. A lighter
                      horse would be easier to drag.

                      Assuming Chineese feet are the same as American feet (I wear an 11-1/2
                      EE myself) we can eleminate the possibility the dead Chineese horse
                      was pulled a different distance.

                      OF course, there is the formula itself.

                      if Wong Kim was doing conversions, do we really know what Mr. Wongs
                      watt was ?

                      If Wongs watt was one while wongs wait was 1, it could be a wrong wait
                      for the watt.

                      IDave
                    • AnaLog Services, Inc.
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 1, 2007
                        I love the horsepower ratings on Sears air compressors.  I have a little vertical unit that if it were really the horsepower indicated on the nameplate, could not possibly run off a normal 20 amp 120 volt circuit.