mini-mill pot and reversing switch

  • Dave Mucha
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
      I am looking at the wiring of the Grizzly mini-mill as I need to
      replace the pot.

      The whole thing seems wrong to me.

      The power supply and fan are on as long as it is plugged in. There is
      no master OFF switch.

      The 'run' switch is a DP3T switch that could be wired as a reversing
      switch with little effort. I assume broken gears would be the first
      evidence of the use of said switch.

      I probably would not be concerned, if it were not that the POT is bad
      and I have to get in there anyway.

      Is there a common up-grade one does to these to round out the
      functinality of the mill ?

      Dave

      --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, "cstarsnc" <cstarks@...> wrote:

      > I have just replaced the defective pot in my Homier mini-lathe with a
      > 5-watt wirewound pot that I purchased from KB Electronics, the maker
      > of the speed control. The pot I purchased did not have an on-off
      > switch. To get around that, I mounted a SPST toggle switch on the
      > left side of the cover of the electronics housing. The new pot and
      > switch work very well. A better solution, however, would be a
      > wirewound pot with an integrated on-off switch. When I find one, I
      > will report back.
      >
      > While I had the cover off the speed controller, I looked at the name
      > plate and found that the actual model is KBLC, number 9109A. I could
      > not find a manual for that controller on KB's website, so I called
      > their technical service number and inquired about it. The bottom
      > line is that the KBLC is an OEM controller and the technician said
      > that they do not have a manual for it. He claimed to be unaware of
      > how the OEM wired the controller, or in what equipment the controller
      > was being used. The technician did state, upon my asking, that the
      > closest relative to the KBLC is the KBIC.
      >
      > Charlie
      >

      > --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, "cstarsnc" <cstarks@c...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Chris, I am pretty sure that it just depends on how the pot is
      > > connected to the circuit. You can take any pot and make the 8
      > > o'clock position to be minimum or maximum resistance depending upon
      > > which terminals you connect to which part of the circuit. If one
      > is
      > > careful to connect the terminals as the original was connected,
      > > he/she should be OK. However, when I replace mine, I will duly
      > > report back with the results, whether they be good or bad.
      > >
      > > Charlie
      > >

      > > --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, Chris Wood <chrisw@s...>
      > wrote:
      > > > Charlie:
      > > >
      > > > Be careful. The switch on the speed controller pots works
      > backwards
      > > from
      > > > most. The switch makes contact when the pot is at zero speed and
      > > breaks
      > > > contact as you increase the speed.
      > > >
      > > > Regards,
      > > > Chris Wood
      > > > LittleMachineShop.com
      > > > The premier source of parts and accessories for mini lathes and
      > > mini mills.
      > > > 396 W. Washington Blvd. #500, Pasadena, CA 91103
      > > > (800)981-9663 * Fax (626)797-7934

    • Jim RabidWolf
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
        Dave - unfortunately, SIEG chose to use a pot with a normally on switch instead of the standard, normally off. You can replace the pot with an Ohmite, Dale, Vishay, or other quality unit and add an extra switch to take the place of the integrated switch on the pot.

        If this unit has an emergency switch and the power and fan are on any time it's plugged in, it's miswired. I have seen some of the early units that display this problem, some were miswired, others didn't have the e-switch.

        If you'd like to give me a yell private, I'll send you my cell number and we can talk about your alternatives here. (it's also on the website).

        Other than the above, if you have one with a normally closed switch, you're pretty much stuck with buying an original unit from LMS - Chris and I both have looked into having a decent manufacturer make up some of these pots and the minimum orders range from 4 to 10 thousand units...

        Like I said, you can add and extra switch, you could add a relay, there are alternatives....

        Give me a yell, e-mail or phone when you have time and let's talk.

        Rabid
        Uncle Rabid ( http://www.unclerabid.com )
        We Repair Electronic Speed Controllers
          For Asian Mini Lathes and Mini Mills