Re: Shop Clean Up

  • Steve Nordhauser
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 31, 2006
      Clint,
      As a compulsive slob, I definitely run in cycles. I have a few selected
      things I don't let get out of hand - my ways stay clean, anything that
      is dangerous I take care of immediately. If I get involved in
      something, I let the tools pile up and the clutter builds. Then I have
      days where I don't feel like turning things on - maybe a little tired,
      not quite feeling sharp. Those are the days that I turn on some music
      and clean...whatever gets in my way. I guess I use it as my way to feel
      productive without pushing myself when I shouldn't. I've even resorted
      all the tools in my 3 toolboxes that are in different locations because
      the tools are migratory. But a day of handling tools is better than a
      day you don't.

      Fine Woodworking has a great book on shop safety. Obviously it is
      woodworking oriented but most people who had bad accidents in the shop
      knew they should have stopped five minutes earlier. I take that to
      heart. If I don't feel good about it, I don't do it. Period. It is a
      hobby and projects can wait. Period. Exclamation mark.

      So....in a fantastic bout of justification, letting my shop get messy is
      good for safety reasons. How about that?
      Steve

      >Message: 8
      > Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 09:51:26 -0600
      > From: Clint D <driggars@...>
      >Subject: Shop Clean Up
      >
      >Why is it? it only takes a few hours to totally get a shop in a mess,
      >tools everywhere, trash, parts, scrap whatever, but it takes days to
      >clean up? :-(
      >
      >Clint

    • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
        Clint

        It's a bit like house dust, keep cleaning it up and it
        keeps re-appearing. The knack is to maintain a
        controllable amount of disarray. When it gets too much
        just clear enough to make the environment workable. If
        you clear up too much you will find things that you
        had forgotten about, things you were going to use for
        this or that idea. This distracts from the current
        task. I think that these spotless workshops we have
        seen in the photographs are not real workshops, they
        are just for show and are so tidy they will never find
        the things that you will find when you do do a purge
        eventually. I think it is called the volcano system,
        twice as efficient as the spotless desk or workshop
        workers. Some may of course disagree with me.

        --- Clint D <driggars@...> wrote:

        > Why is it? it only takes a few hours to totally get
        > a shop in a mess,
        > tools everywhere, trash, parts, scrap whatever, but
        > it takes days to
        > clean up? :-(
        >
        > Clint

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • AnaLog Services, Inc.
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
          Having previously been a messy worker, I can tell you from personal
          experience that is not true. Neat is a better way to work. What changed my
          ways is a drilling partner. I worked with him for years and watched how
          much time was wasted finding drilling tools and equipment strewn at
          different locations all over this end of the state. Admittedly losing
          things ten miles away is worse than a cluttered workbench, but the principle
          is the same. Anyway, they guy broke me of sloppy work practices.

          > It's a bit like house dust, keep cleaning it up and it
          > keeps re-appearing. The knack is to maintain a
          > controllable amount of disarray. When it gets too much
          > just clear enough to make the environment workable. If
          > you clear up too much you will find things that you
          > had forgotten about, things you were going to use for
          > this or that idea. This distracts from the current
          > task. I think that these spotless workshops we have
          > seen in the photographs are not real workshops, they
          > are just for show and are so tidy they will never find
          > the things that you will find when you do do a purge
          > eventually. I think it is called the volcano system,
          > twice as efficient as the spotless desk or workshop
          > workers. Some may of course disagree with me.
          >

          > --- Clint D <driggars@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Why is it? it only takes a few hours to totally get
          >> a shop in a mess,
          >> tools everywhere, trash, parts, scrap whatever, but
          >> it takes days to
          >> clean up? :-(
          >>
          >> Clint

        • fignoggle
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 4, 2006
            neat is a good way to work. but sometimes i get sloppy:

            <http://www.fignoggle.com/themachine/tooling/index.htm>

            to make things a bit easier i just throw categorized stuff into their
            akro-mills type bins

            drilling stuff goes in one (red), misc parts in another (blue). it
            works farily well, since they're color-coded and easy to spot, you
            get the hang of it. this also saves the time of putting back each
            tool after you've used it - knowing that you're going to need it
            again minutes later.

            david

            CNC Plans Now Available! <http://www.fignoggle.com/plans/cncplans.htm>
            DRO Plans Also Available!
            <http://www.fignoggle.com/plans/droplans.htm>
            figNoggle updates for the HF8x12, HFMini-Mill, and more
            <http://www.fignoggle.com>

            --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, "AnaLog Services, Inc."