Re: [7x10minilathe] OT: Funny one for the telescope makers on the list.

  • Brian Tuttle
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 1, 2005
      um........Mert........when you were a kid, people were throwing rocks at
      sabertooth tigers. lol jk but I couldn't resist.

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 8, 2005
        Can I get carbide drill bits at Sears? I only need a few. Got
        the cheap "Depth Gauge" caliper that is on Ebay and it looks
        like it might be slightly easier to convert to a height gauge
        than a regular caliper would be. Still need to cut off an "ear"
        and drill two holes in the other "ear."

        Thanks,
        Dave
        --- Gregg Eshelman <g_alan_e@Y...> wrote:

        > The fine adjustment could be built into the movable
        > jaw attachment and adding the rod behind the caliper
        > body to make things stiffer would be simple no matter
        > how it's done.
        >
        > One deal with using an un-modified caliper is the
        > extention to the movable jaw would have to be longer
        > with not cutting off the fixed jaw, and the base
        > would need to be larger or just leave the fixed
        > jaw hanging out in the way. However it's done,
        > turning an un-modified caliper into a height gauge
        > involves some compromise. The best accuracy would
        > be obtained from cutting off at least the outside
        > measure fixed jaw so the scale can be right at or
        > very close to the edge of the base.
        >
        > > Dave <galt_57@h...> wrote:
        http://homepage3.nifty.com/amigos/digital_height_gauge/digital_height_gauge-e.htm
      • paul_probus
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 8, 2005
          Only masonry bits. If you need solid carbide bits, you'll have to
          order them through a place like MSC or Grainger or McMaster (i.e. an
          industrial supply house). The Sears bits are good ol' HSS bits and
          are great for most drilling applications, however, they're not
          carbide.

          Paul

          --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, "Dave J" <galt_57@h...> wrote:

          > Can I get carbide drill bits at Sears? I only need a few. Got
          > the cheap "Depth Gauge" caliper that is on Ebay and it looks
          > like it might be slightly easier to convert to a height gauge
          > than a regular caliper would be. Still need to cut off an "ear"
          > and drill two holes in the other "ear."
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Dave
          > --- Gregg Eshelman <g_alan_e@Y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > The fine adjustment could be built into the movable
          > > jaw attachment and adding the rod behind the caliper
          > > body to make things stiffer would be simple no matter
          > > how it's done.
          > >
          > > One deal with using an un-modified caliper is the
          > > extention to the movable jaw would have to be longer
          > > with not cutting off the fixed jaw, and the base
          > > would need to be larger or just leave the fixed
          > > jaw hanging out in the way. However it's done,
          > > turning an un-modified caliper into a height gauge
          > > involves some compromise. The best accuracy would
          > > be obtained from cutting off at least the outside
          > > measure fixed jaw so the scale can be right at or
          > > very close to the edge of the base.
          > >
          > > > Dave <galt_57@h...> wrote:

          http://homepage3.nifty.com/amigos/digital_height_gauge/digital_height_
          gauge-e.htm
        • Gregg Eshelman
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 8, 2005
            --- paul_probus <paul_probus@...> wrote:

            > Only masonry bits. If you need solid carbide bits,
            > you'll have to
            > order them through a place like MSC or Grainger or
            > McMaster (i.e. an
            > industrial supply house). The Sears bits are good
            > ol' HSS bits and
            > are great for most drilling applications, however,
            > they're not carbide.

            Some Ace and True Value hardware stores have cobalt
            drill bits. Ain't cheap though! I had to get an 11/32"
            cobalt bit for a special application that was chewing
            up the best HSS bits I could find. Cost almost $15
            for one cobalt bit. Probably could've ordered it
            online for less but I needed it right away.

            =====
            It will be total Fandemonium, Summer 2005!
            Check website for further info.
            http://www.fandemonium.org

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Jim Shaffer
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 9, 2005
              Dave,

              What size carbide drills do you need? Let me know, and if I have
              some you can use, I'd be glad to send one or more to you via snail
              mail.

              Jim
            • AnaLog Services, Inc.
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 9, 2005
                Sears has the cobalts as well. They have em individually and in sets, a bit
                more expensive than the HSS ones. I use cobalts for drilling stainless the
                steel chassis in logging tools that wind up hard from temperature cycling
                (at least I think that is what makes some of them harder than others).