Table top lathe to buy

  • thesawch
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2005
      Hi,I am new to this.I was wanting to buy a table top mini lathe.I
      don't have unlimited funds and want a good starter to learn on.What
      is a good starter model that would be easy to buy .I am looking at
      building mini steam engines .I think a 7x 10 is all i would need???
      Thanks Dale
    • mertbaker
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2005
        The 7x10 is a little short between centers. The 7x12s are really 4"
        longer, not 2" as you might think, but are around 20# heavier at 80#, if you
        plan on shifting it around much. The prices are about the same, so if the
        weight isn't a problem, I would get the longer bed. The best buy is the
        Homier for 300 plus shipping, which you avoid if you can get to one of their
        truck sales. They also sell an accessory pack which is a good deal. The
        Cummins is the next, & comes with most everything you will need at 400.
        That includes the pack. Also availble a Cummins truck sales. The Griz is
        expensive at 500 plus shipping and includes some accessories. Their
        customer support is first rate. The Micromark is the most expensive & comes
        with a longer bed than the 14s. I have all but the micro, And if I were
        starting out with what I know now, & were short of cash, I'd get the Homier,
        and start saving for all the stuff I would need before I could do much with
        it. The Cummins has enuf stuff so you can start making chips as soon as you
        get it unpacked, the grease off, and find a piece of metal to machine. That
        is IMO the best choice.
        Mert

        MertBaker@...
        > Hi,I am new to this.I was wanting to buy a table top mini lathe.I
        > don't have unlimited funds and want a good starter to learn on.What
        > is a good starter model that would be easy to buy .I am looking at
        > building mini steam engines .I think a 7x 10 is all i would need???
        > Thanks Dale
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Harvey White
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2005
          On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 15:00:46 -0000, you wrote:

          >Hi,I am new to this.I was wanting to buy a table top mini lathe.I
          >don't have unlimited funds and want a good starter to learn on.What
          >is a good starter model that would be easy to buy .I am looking at
          >building mini steam engines .I think a 7x 10 is all i would need???

          If possible, get the 7x12 models (actually 4 inches longer, different
          measurement scheme). Cummings or Homier will sell them at road shows,
          and have somewhat of an Internet presence.

          Check out data at www.littlemachineshop.com and www.mini-lathe.com

          Figure that you will spend approximately 50% or more of the purchase
          price on tooling, not immediately, but soon enough.

          Tooling includes calipers, rulers, lathe bits, boring bars, holders,
          center drills, drill sets, drill gauges, indicators, sandpaper, etc.

          Then start pricing metal. See if you can find a place that sells
          drop-offs, which are surplus. You may have to buy a lot, but it may
          be worth it on a dollar basis.

          Can't help with the specific project, though. Not a steam type.

          Harvey

          >Thanks Dale
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Clint D
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2005
            Dale

            welcome aboard

            first off for your moneys worth, get a 7x12 from www.homier.com or one of their
            tent sales
            or www.cumminstools.com
            these two suppliers have the best deals, my opinion, you will for sure appreciate
            the 7x12 over the 7x10 there is 4" difference

            If money is not an issue
            www.grizzly.com and
            www.micro-mark.com

            HF sales a 9x20 if you want to go a little larger

            Homier and cummins will not have their 7x12 on line if they are out of stock, so
            if you do not see it you know why
            they do restock frequently

            I hope this helps

            Clint

            > Hi,I am new to this.I was wanting to buy a table top mini lathe.I
            > don't have unlimited funds and want a good starter to learn on.What
            > is a good starter model that would be easy to buy .I am looking at
            > building mini steam engines .I think a 7x 10 is all i would need???
            > Thanks Dale
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Amaradio William A Jr
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2005
              Dale , I don't know where you live,there are road tool
              shows by Cummins and Homier. I bought a Cummins lathe
              last year and I am extremely pleased with the machine
              .It's a very decent quality piece of machinery for the
              $399.There are basically two different makers of the
              7x12's,(7x10's, (7x14's.One is SEIG and the other is
              ????. Cummins use to sell the the????/ I understand
              they now sell the Seig version, this machine uses
              what is known as a Moffset(electronically) speaking
              speed control.Mine uses the SCR( silicone rectifier)
              speed control.I see posts all the time about moffsets
              breaking down and rarely see the scr's owners posts
              complaining about electrical-electronic problems with
              their speed controllers.There is a 7x10 web site that
              compares the two types. Other then that there are a
              few minor differences. The Cummins I purchased came
              with a Quick change Tool post as well as a Steady and
              Follow Rest, a face plate. cutting tools, live tail
              stock and dead tail stock, drill chuck and complete
              set of gear changes.The new Cummins version no longer
              includes every thing I listed.These are a$100 . option
              with Homier.Cummins no longer includes all of the
              listed acc.either,however it does come with some of
              them. Both Homier($299) and Cummins($399) are a good
              buy. Other places that sell these Lathes are
              Grizzly,Enco, Wholesale tool,Micromark (7x14),KBC,
              Harbor Freight Tools..All these places have web sites
              and some offer free frght.When I purchased my lathe
              from Cummins It was missing some parts and I called
              them. Their service dept was excellant at sending me
              the missing parts.The best price and great!!!! service
              what else can a person ask for. Good luck Bill
              Amaradio
              --- thesawch <thesawch@...> wrote:

              > Hi,I am new to this.I was wanting to buy a table top
              > mini lathe.I
              > don't have unlimited funds and want a good starter
              > to learn on.What
              > is a good starter model that would be easy to buy .I
              > am looking at
              > building mini steam engines .I think a 7x 10 is all
              > i would need???
              > Thanks Dale
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • bushwacker
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 20, 2005
                Hi there....
                i purchased the Micro mart 7x14 it's an awsome tool im going on two
                years of having it and no regreats please if u can scrape a little
                more cash go with at least this size u will see after using it a few
                time's u will find yourself with some pretty big stock in your
                machine....
                But the big expense is actually not the lathe is all the tooling...
                you will see after a while you will have a hole bunch of asorted
                tool it funny how much tool you will aquire after 2 years so please
                do not get discourage at firts i stared at mind for about 2 months
                before i could by my self diferent cutting tool.....

                So happy machining and good luck on your new purchase...

                Luch!