Re: [7x10minilathe] Mert Re: Gyrocopter

  • Gregg Eshelman
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 1, 2004
      --- roylowenthal <roylowenthal@...> wrote:
      > That's a little too terse for me! Acrobat is a bit
      > of a resource
      > hog; on a slow machine it can appear to be frozen
      > while it's doing its thing.

      Another thing Acrobat likes to do is pop up a window
      _under_ everything, without putting a button on the
      taskbar. This window is asking if you want to check
      for Acrobat updates and it stops it and the browser
      window you're wanting to download the PDF into from
      doing anything until you click Yes or No. The only way
      I've found to get to that window is to minimize all
      the open windows in front of it. Fortunately in
      Windows 2000 and older you can just rightclick on
      the taskbar then click Minimize all windows. In XP
      I think you must switch to the Classic start menu and
      taskbar to have that option.

      When you get to that silly Acrobat update window,
      check the box to never show it again!

      =====
      It's total Fandemonium!
      http://www.fandemonium.org

      http://messenger.yahoo.com/
    • mertbaker
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 1, 2004
        Thanks, I'll do that. I'm running Win 98 anyway.
        Mert

        MertBaker@...
        > > That's a little too terse for me! Acrobat is a bit
        > > of a resource
        > > hog; on a slow machine it can appear to be frozen
        > > while it's doing its thing.
        >
        > Another thing Acrobat likes to do is pop up a window
        > _under_ everything, without putting a button on the
        > taskbar. This window is asking if you want to check
        > for Acrobat updates and it stops it and the browser
        > window you're wanting to download the PDF into from
        > doing anything until you click Yes or No. The only way
        > I've found to get to that window is to minimize all
        > the open windows in front of it. Fortunately in
        > Windows 2000 and older you can just rightclick on
        > the taskbar then click Minimize all windows. In XP
        > I think you must switch to the Classic start menu and
        > taskbar to have that option.
        >
        > When you get to that silly Acrobat update window,
        > check the box to never show it again!
        >
        > =====
        > It's total Fandemonium!
        > http://www.fandemonium.org

        > http://messenger.yahoo.com/
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • x xx
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 1, 2004
          FWIW, I got identical results
          Sam

          mertbaker <MertBaker@...> wrote:
          Yep. It "opens" but it's a blank screen & the computer freezes & has to be
          restarted.
          Mert

          MertBaker@...
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 1, 2004
            Sam, it seems that little item is 138 pages long. The computer is evidently
            frozen while Adobe is slowly digesting & entering it in your file. Maybe.
            Anyway, I now have it, Clint sent it as a pdf email direct. It took about
            10 minutes or more, & is an interesti;ng design, despite 4 pages of
            disclaimers.
            Mert

            MertBaker@...

          • ChrlyThB@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 1, 2004
              I have a Broadband connection and it opens slowly for me. With all the interest, it will open even slower if the SERVER is busy with all of us on it.

              It is a big a**ed PDF file. It opens quicker if you save it to you HD by:
              Right click on the file
              Left click on, SAVE TARGET AS
              Save it to your Hard Disk.
              Then open it.