Re: book: The Making of Tools

  • zzz_zinger
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2004
      --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, "Clint D" <driggars@e...>
      wrote:
      > Edward
      >
      > I did a search on this book and could not find anything on it, do
      you have a
      > link where to take a look at it?
      >
      > Clint

      Clint, ya gotta use Google to search for stuff like this.

      http://www.architect-books.com/The_Making_of_Tools_0671609246.html

      Put the title in quotes and this URL came up.
      Jim-M
    • Silver Mouse
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2004
        I did a search on Amazon and turned up 4 or 5 used ones. The cheapest was
        about $10.
        Edward

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2004

          > > > I just received my copy of "The Making of Tools" by
          > > > Alexander G. Wengers.
          > > > What a fantastic book! To the person who recommended it, Roy maybe?,
          > > > thankyou. To those who don't know much about metalwork and
          > > > who want a seat-of-the-pants introduction to making their own
          > > > specialized hand tools from scrapyard steel this book is a gem.
          > >
          > > I did a search on this book and could not find anything on
          > > it, do you have a link where to take a look at it?
          >
          > I did a search on Amazon and turned up 4 or 5 used ones. The
          > cheapest was about $10.

          Try searching for "The Complete Modern Blacksmith" by Alexander G. Weygers. This version contains three of his most popular works:

          The Making of Tools
          The Modern Blacksmith
          The Recycling, Use,& Repair of Tools

          All of these books were published in the 70's, and IIRC, have long since been out of print. "The Complete Modern Blacksmith" was published in 1997 by Ten Speed Press of Berkeley, California.

          Mike
          Carrollton, TX

          * EMAIL DISCLAIMER AND TERMS OF USE *
          The information transmitted is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you have received an email in error please notify abuse@... and then delete all copies of it from your systems.
          Any use of, or any action relying upon, information in an email by persons other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
          Although Hilite International scans incoming and outgoing emails and email attachments for viruses we cannot guarantee a communication to be free of all viruses nor accept any responsibility for viruses.

          Although Hilite International monitors incoming and outgoing emails for inappropriate content, Hilite International cannot be held responsible for the views or expressions of the author.
          The views expressed may not necessarily be those of Hilite International and Hilite International cannot be held responsible for any loss or injury resulting from the contents of a message.
        • Clint D
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2004
            Mike and all

            Thanks, I must have typed in the name wrong or sumpin? I did Google, etc.
            but never came up with these

            Clint

            > > > I did a search on this book and could not find anything on
            > > > it, do you have a link where to take a look at it?
            > >
            > > I did a search on Amazon and turned up 4 or 5 used ones. The
            > > cheapest was about $10.
            > >

            > Try searching for "The Complete Modern Blacksmith" by Alexander G.
            Weygers. This version contains three of his most popular works:

            > The Making of Tools
            > The Modern Blacksmith
            > The Recycling, Use,& Repair of Tools
            >
            > All of these books were published in the 70's, and IIRC, have long since
            been out of print. "The Complete Modern Blacksmith" was published in 1997 by
            Ten Speed Press of Berkeley, California.

            > Mike
            > Carrollton, TX
            >

            > * EMAIL DISCLAIMER AND TERMS OF USE *
            > The information transmitted is intended only for the person to whom it is
            addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you
            have received an email in error please notify abuse@... and then
            delete all copies of it from your systems.
            > Any use of, or any action relying upon, information in an email by persons
            other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
            > Although Hilite International scans incoming and outgoing emails and email
            attachments for viruses we cannot guarantee a communication to be free of
            all viruses nor accept any responsibility for viruses.

            > Although Hilite International monitors incoming and outgoing emails for
            inappropriate content, Hilite International cannot be held responsible for
            the views or expressions of the author.
            > The views expressed may not necessarily be those of Hilite International
            and Hilite International cannot be held responsible for any loss or injury
            resulting from the contents of a message.

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Jerry Julian
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 1, 2004
              --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, "Clint D" <driggars@e...> wrote:
              > Mike and all
              >
              > Thanks, I must have typed in the name wrong or sumpin? I did
              Google, etc.
              > but never came up with these
              >
              > Clint
              >

              > > >You might try Alexander Weygers, that worked for me. Jerry
              Julian

            • ralph_pattersonus
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 1, 2004
                It would help to get the spelling straight, there was a typo in the
                original message. The author's name is Alexander G. Weygers,
                vs. 'Wengers'. I have the three original books, more recently re-
                issued in one volume. All paperback versions.
                HTH, Ralph in San Diego
                --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, "Clint D" <driggars@e...> wrote:
                > Edward
                >
                > I did a search on this book and could not find anything on it, do
                you have a
                > link where to take a look at it?
                >
                > Clint

              • Michael Taglieri
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 1, 2004
                  I think "The Complete Modern Blacksmith" this has recently been reprinted
                  by Lindsay Publications.

                  Mike Taglieri miket--nyc@...

                  Regime Change Begins at Home

                • lencowart@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 4, 2004
                    --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, "Silver Mouse"
                    <silvermouse@h...> wrote:

                    > I just received my copy of "The Making of Tools" by Alexander G.
                    Wengers.
                    > What a fantastic book! To the person who recommended it, Roy
                    maybe?,
                    > thankyou. To those who don't know much about metalwork and who
                    want a
                    > seat-of-the-pants introduction to making their own specialized
                    hand tools
                    > from scrapyard steel this book is a gem.
                    >
                    > Edward
                    > ---

                    If you liked the book "The making of tools" by Alexander G. Weygers
                    then you should get a copy of Lindsay's publications catalog and
                    look on page 61. There you will find a book titled "The complete
                    modern blacksmith" . This is a reprint of all three of Weygers books
                    in one volume.
                    I have two of his books that were published in the 70's but this is
                    a volume with all three in one cover.