Moving

  • Allan Christer
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 1, 2000
      Question for all the electronic experts out there - I need some
      help. I have both the HF 7 x 10 mini-lathe and the Grizzly mini-
      mill, and I will be taking them on on a long term assignment - 3
      years - (hydro-power project) in Nepal from early next year.
      Problem is that the country's line voltage is 220v - 50 Hz, and
      although I can get a x-former to reduce the line voltage to 110v, how
      will the electronics work on 50Hz? I presume at the least I will
      have a speed reduction, but will supplying line voltage through a
      transformer affect the 'wave-shape' (ie sine wave vs square wave) and
      the electronic controls?

      I am not an electrical or electronics engineer (Civil/construction by
      nature and grad training, management by post grad). Other issues
      involve using spike suppressors (due to voltage instability)and
      voltage stabilizers - anyone can advise me on what to use and what to
      take from the US?

      BTW as recreation out there (actually, this message is coming from
      Nepal right now - thank goodness for an internet connection!)I had
      planned to machine out the pieces for a chess set - one side brass,
      the other side colored brass ie gun blued or something. Can brass be
      colored dark colors with a chemical etching process? I suppose I
      could silver plate them , but wouldn't have much idea about that.

      Allan in Kathmandu (based in San Diego)
    • Bruce Simpson
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 1, 2000
        Since the motors on these machines are DC and the controllers
        likewise work by switching DC you may be able to get away with
        simply placing a suitable diode in the power-feed to cut out one half
        of the 220VAC waveform.

        Although I've designed and built a replacement controller, I've not
        actually reverse engineered the existing board to determine whether
        the 230VAC version (that I bought here) has half-wave or full-wave
        rectification -- but for 110VAC I suspect it's using a full-wave rectifier
        so a single diode in series with the feed would drop the voltage to
        110V quite effectively.

        And just a note for all those who wondered where my new controller
        for the 7x10 minilathe had got to. It's all up and running and works
        very well. I've revised the original PCB layout to make assembly a
        little easier but other priorities have hijacked the time I need to
        document all this for release to those members of the group who
        expressed an interest in building the boards for themselves and
        others.

        And yes -- it gives excellent torque right down to virtually zero RPMs
        and I found that the basic controller chip does such a good job that
        the tachometer feedback is not really necessary except for providing
        the memory function.

        On 1 Aug 00, at 8:06, Allan Christer wrote:

        > Question for all the electronic experts out there - I need some
        > help. I have both the HF 7 x 10 mini-lathe and the Grizzly mini-
        > mill, and I will be taking them on on a long term assignment - 3
        > years - (hydro-power project) in Nepal from early next year.
        > Problem is that the country's line voltage is 220v - 50 Hz, and
        > although I can get a x-former to reduce the line voltage to 110v, how will
        > the electronics work on 50Hz? I presume at the least I will have a speed
        > reduction, but will supplying line voltage through a transformer affect
        > the 'wave-shape' (ie sine wave vs square wave) and the electronic
        > controls?
        >
        > I am not an electrical or electronics engineer (Civil/construction by
        > nature and grad training, management by post grad). Other issues involve
        > using spike suppressors (due to voltage instability)and voltage
        > stabilizers - anyone can advise me on what to use and what to take from
        > the US?
        >
        > BTW as recreation out there (actually, this message is coming from
        > Nepal right now - thank goodness for an internet connection!)I had
        > planned to machine out the pieces for a chess set - one side brass,
        > the other side colored brass ie gun blued or something. Can brass be
        > colored dark colors with a chemical etching process? I suppose I could
        > silver plate them , but wouldn't have much idea about that.
        >
        > Allan in Kathmandu (based in San Diego)
      • Greg
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 1, 2000
          One thing you might want to check into (even though I wouldn't have much
          hope - never hurts to ask though), is to find out whether you can get the
          220/50 controller board separately. 'Course you'd also have to get the
          motor. Probably not be worth it.

          IAC, just a thought.

          Greg
          Vista, CA
        • Becnel Kirk
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 1, 2000
            There are many patina finishes available for brass. I am sure you could use
            one.

            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 1, 2000
              I'd make the whites out of Aluminum.

              For off-the shelf conversion to 125v-60hz, how about a battery charger that
              works on 22v-50hz, charging your 12v. battery, and an inverter to get back
              to 110-60? Or a solar charger for the battery & the inverter?

              Mert
            • Mert Baker
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 1, 2000
                Never thought of that Bruce. I bow to superior knowledge. Far more elegant
                than my idea. Mert
              • Dan Dowell
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 1, 2000
                  Yea Birtchwood Casey makes a product called "brass Black".
                  I got it through small parts inc.

                  http://www.smallparts.com

                  Ph: (800) 220-4242
                • Bruce Simpson
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 1, 2000
                    Not necessarily so Greg, My minilathe runs on 230V and has a
                    90VDC motor.

                    On 1 Aug 00, at 1:26, Greg wrote:

                    > One thing you might want to check into (even though I wouldn't have much
                    > hope - never hurts to ask though), is to find out whether you can get the
                    > 220/50 controller board separately. 'Course you'd also have to get the
                    > motor. Probably not be worth it.
                    >
                    > IAC, just a thought.
                  • Gary Hallenbeck
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 1, 2000
                      The electronics probably won't notice the difference. The motor is DC
                      anyway. Provide the right voltage and I bet it will run fine.

                      Gary Hallenbeck
                      > Question for all the electronic experts out there - I need some
                      > help. I have both the HF 7 x 10 mini-lathe and the Grizzly mini-
                      > mill, and I will be taking them on on a long term assignment - 3
                      > years - (hydro-power project) in Nepal from early next year.
                      > Problem is that the country's line voltage is 220v - 50 Hz, and
                      > although I can get a x-former to reduce the line voltage to 110v, how
                      > will the electronics work on 50Hz? I presume at the least I will
                      > have a speed reduction, but will supplying line voltage through a
                      > transformer affect the 'wave-shape' (ie sine wave vs square wave) and
                      > the electronic controls?
                      >
                      > I am not an electrical or electronics engineer (Civil/construction by
                      > nature and grad training, management by post grad). Other issues
                      > involve using spike suppressors (due to voltage instability)and
                      > voltage stabilizers - anyone can advise me on what to use and what to
                      > take from the US?
                      >
                      > BTW as recreation out there (actually, this message is coming from
                      > Nepal right now - thank goodness for an internet connection!)I had
                      > planned to machine out the pieces for a chess set - one side brass,
                      > the other side colored brass ie gun blued or something. Can brass be
                      > colored dark colors with a chemical etching process? I suppose I
                      > could silver plate them , but wouldn't have much idea about that.
                      >
                      > Allan in Kathmandu (based in San Diego)

                    • Paul R. Hvidston
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 1, 2000
                        As stated by another, DON'T DO IT. The controller takes the 120VAC in and
                        bridge rectifies it to 120V pulsating DC. Simply placing another diode in
                        front of the input will just get rid of half the pulses, BUT they will be
                        twice the peak voltage when plugged into 220! Much more than the circuitry
                        is rated for.

                        I'd look for:
                        1) a 220 to 110 step-down xfmr (one that will handle 50Hz), Your lathe
                        should be okay with 50Hz.
                        or
                        2) the cute but EXPENSIVE idea of power supply and inverter.
                        or
                        3) put in a good word at the dam for 60Hz, 110VAC ;-)

                        Paul R. Hvidston, N6MGN
                        ACKSYS Engineering
                        Upland, CA
                        p.hvidston@...
                        > The electronics probably won't notice the difference. The motor is DC
                        > anyway. Provide the right voltage and I bet it will run fine.
                        >
                        > Gary Hallenbeck

                      • Robert Hood
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 1, 2000
                          Paul,

                          I like this idea, it could be promoted as a tourism thing, and it
                          would make more product available to the locals. What a one extra
                          generator worth when you building a dam.

                          Robert Hood
                          Flagstaff, AZ

                          --- In 7x10minilathe@egroups.com, "Paul R. Hvidston"
                          > 3) put in a good word at the dam for 60Hz, 110VAC ;-)
                        • P.J. & Aimee Ritz
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 1, 2000
                            I think I can help on this one, I worked as an electronic technician in the
                            Tech-Service/Repair dept for a company that manufactured inspection
                            equipment that was sold worldwide and used all 90VDC motors.

                            First off, like Paul said, forget the diode idea, the only two feasible
                            choices are either:
                            1. a 240V controller
                            or the easier, cheaper choice:
                            2. a transformer, could be a regular step-down transformer or an
                            autotransformer (Cheaper)

                            Look at:
                            www.allelectronics.com
                            Here is their link to the transformers: (you need Adobe Acrobat to view
                            this)
                            http://allcorp.com/pdfcat/transformers400.pdf
                            Scroll down until you find the section on Step Up/Step Down Transformers

                            As far as choosing the right one, I don't know the current rating of your
                            machines, but look at the current rating on the motor, or on the machine.

                            multiply the number of AMPS the motor is rated at by 120, this will give you
                            the wattage being drawn by the controller, and choose a transformer rated at
                            least twice the motor wattage.

                            Example: if your motor is rated at 5A, then 5x120=600, double this=1200,
                            choose the next bigger transformer (1300WATTS)

                            As far as the issue of operating on 50Hz, that is no problem.

                            P.J. Ritz
                            Ritz@...
                            Grove City, PA

                            > As stated by another, DON'T DO IT. The controller takes the 120VAC in and
                            > bridge rectifies it to 120V pulsating DC. Simply placing another diode in
                            > front of the input will just get rid of half the pulses, BUT they will be
                            > twice the peak voltage when plugged into 220! Much more than the circuitry
                            > is rated for.
                            >
                            > I'd look for:
                            > 1) a 220 to 110 step-down xfmr (one that will handle 50Hz), Your lathe
                            > should be okay with 50Hz.
                            > or
                            > 2) the cute but EXPENSIVE idea of power supply and inverter.
                            > or
                            > 3) put in a good word at the dam for 60Hz, 110VAC ;-)
                            >
                            > Paul R. Hvidston, N6MGN
                            > ACKSYS Engineering
                            > Upland, CA
                            > p.hvidston@...

                          • Dale LeDoux
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 1, 2000
                              --- In 7x10minilathe@egroups.com, "Robert Hood" <delphi7x10@a...>
                              wrote:
                              > Paul,
                              >
                              > I like this idea, it could be promoted as a tourism thing, and it
                              > would make more product available to the locals. What a one extra
                              > generator worth when you building a dam.
                              >

                              > Robert Hood
                              > Flagstaff, AZ
                              >

                              > --- In 7x10minilathe@egroups.com, "Paul R. Hvidston"
                              > > 3) put in a good word at the dam for 60Hz, 110VAC ;-)

                              Who's the general contractor? I have been on a couple overseas jobs,
                              an in one case they provided 120/240 (although still at 50hz) for the
                              American contractors, including the living quarters.

                              Chances are pretty good that the solid-state controllers will work
                              okay at 50 hz if you can get the voltage down. A 2:1 step-down
                              transformer shouln't be too hard to find, even in the wattage range
                              you require. A 60-hz transformer will work at 50 hz, but will run
                              hotter for a given load, so you will need to de-rate it about 25%.

                              But first, I'd call tech support for your tools and see if they have
                              info for converting them to 220/50. It might be just a matter of
                              changing a couple of jumpers, a fuse and a plug.

                              Dale
                            • Jeff Rossel
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 1, 2000
                                Hey you better stock up on spare parts.

                                Jeff

                                --- In 7x10minilathe@egroups.com, "Paul R. Hvidston"
                                > As stated by another, DON'T DO IT. The controller takes the 120VAC
                                in and
                                > bridge rectifies it to 120V pulsating DC. Simply placing another
                                diode in
                                > front of the input will just get rid of half the pulses, BUT they
                                will be
                                > twice the peak voltage when plugged into 220! Much more than the
                                circuitry
                                > is rated for.
                                >
                                > I'd look for:
                                > 1) a 220 to 110 step-down xfmr (one that will handle 50Hz), Your
                                lathe
                                > should be okay with 50Hz.
                                > or
                                > 2) the cute but EXPENSIVE idea of power supply and inverter.
                                > or
                                > 3) put in a good word at the dam for 60Hz, 110VAC ;-)
                                >
                                > Paul R. Hvidston, N6MGN
                                > ACKSYS Engineering
                                > Upland, CA
                                > p.hvidston@i...

                              • Ecosense
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 3, 2000
                                  replacing both motor and power supply in a 230volt/50hz version will give
                                  you a reliabel sollution, and less shipping vollume. The 230 volt motor will
                                  give you some extra safety towards voltage variation which is common in
                                  these countrys even if you live in a special self supporting compound.
                                  have had my share)
                                  You can get both in Germany from DHcenter, and the powersupply will be a
                                  "made in germany "copy, more reliable and with additonal options.
                                  I don't know if they can supply the same for the mill yet, but certanly they
                                  can later this year. I don't have execes to the web adress at the moment,
                                  but can send it later.

                                  Charles
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 4, 2000
                                    I would appreciate the e-mail address in Germany(DH Centre?)when you
                                    have it, but I believe that only the controllers are needed. Surely
                                    the motors, being 90vdc are the same for both the 110v and the 230v
                                    versions of the 7 x 10 and the mini-mill? Or are they????

                                    Allan in Kathmandu

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 4, 2000
                                      --- In 7x10minilathe@egroups.com, "Allan Christer" <christer@i...>
                                      wrote:
                                      > I would appreciate the e-mail address in Germany(DH Centre?)when
                                      you
                                      > have it, but I believe that only the controllers are needed.
                                      Surely
                                      > the motors, being 90vdc are the same for both the 110v and the 230v
                                      > versions of the 7 x 10 and the mini-mill? Or are they????
                                      >
                                      > Allan in Kathmandu

                                      Allan--

                                      Dunno. Maybe that's some of that metric DC....<<kidding!>>>

                                      Seriously, if you swap out the 110v. controller with a 220V. unit,
                                      the motor should not care. It never (in this application) sees the
                                      input voltage. It just takes the DC output from the speed control
                                      board at around 90 volts or so. The insensitive little thing could
                                      care less how you build the 90 volts you feed it.

                                      Dale
                                      not an electrical engineer, nor do I play one on TV...
                                      but I do make a living at it...
                                    • Garry and Maxine
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Aug 4, 2000
                                        All he needs is a transformer.....