RE: [7x10minilathe] did i really break it bad?

  • Dave Goodfellow
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2004
      Or maybe the forward/reverse lever or the fast/slow lever slipped into
      "neutral." Check the positioning of those levers as well.

      Dave Goodfellow
      Lancaster, CA
      www.good-fellow.net
      "No problem too small to baffle this expert"

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2004
        If the belt is turning the shaft but the chuck side is not turning, it is possible you broke one of the plastic Hi - Lo gears in the head. The good news is they are not expensive but it is a bit of a chore to replace the gears (spoken from experience). I would also suggest that if you only had it one day, it might have been defective from the supplier and for you to try to get a replacement lathe from them.

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • davesgmc4u
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2004
          well, I spent the late evening looking at this POS, sure enough the
          high low gears in this thing broke. Looks like i over loaded it!!
          But i was only taking a light cut with it. What is the most cut you
          ahve taken with one of these machines safely?? cuttin mild steel
          that is. is there anything i can do to prevent this from happeneing
          again?

          --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, "John Edwards"

          of Service.
        • John Edwards
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 1, 2004
            What do you consider a light cut. I don't do much work in mild steel (use mostly 6061 aluminum) but I don't think I would go deeper than .020 per pass on mild steel on the small lathes. You might also if you can get in the right cutting speed (fpm) keep it in Lo gear. Also be sure that whichever gear you have it in, the selector is fully engaged so it doesn't slip out of gear while running.

            I would still attempt to see if they will replace the machine. If indeed you were taking a light cut, there is a good possibility that the machine was defective from the start. When I broke the gear in mine it was for a good reason. I ran the tool into the chuck OWW!

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 1, 2004
              light cut meaning .010, that is all i was taking off.
              i didnt even have a chance to cut any aluminum or brass with it
              before it broke. I bought the stupid thing to make small bushings
              and brackets for things on my harleys

              <botbuilder@c...> wrote:
              > What do you consider a light cut. I don't do much work in mild
              steel (use mostly 6061 aluminum) but I don't think I would go deeper
              than .020 per pass on mild steel on the small lathes. You might also
              if you can get in the right cutting speed (fpm) keep it in Lo gear.
              Also be sure that whichever gear you have it in, the selector is
              fully engaged so it doesn't slip out of gear while running.

              > I would still attempt to see if they will replace the machine. If
              indeed you were taking a light cut, there is a good possibility that
              the machine was defective from the start. When I broke the gear in
              mine it was for a good reason. I ran the tool into the chuck OWW!

              > John Edwards
              > botbuilder@c...
              > http://webpages.charter.net/grizzlyrobotics/

            • jjimage4353
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 1, 2004

                Dave,
                Maybe it was damaged before you got it home from store.

                You mention motor was loosened.

                Which mean anything is possible.

                You quote "I even had to tighten the motor
                in it, it was flopping around in the housing" unquote.

                I am not familiar with the drive system of Cummins lathe however you
                may crack gear or pulley while tighten motor mount.

                My 2 cent worth.
                Jerry

                --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, "davesgmc4u" <davesgmc4u@y...>

              • kettletrigger
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 1, 2004
                  I take cuts that are too big (depending on material) quite often. All that's ever
                  happened is the lathe stalling which just requires a quick finger on the "off" switch.
                  Almost a year of use and only had one gear mishap; stripped the keyway out of the
                  80t leadscrew gear by forgetting to disengage the leadscrew during a facing
                  operation. .010" on CRS is well within the capabilities of this machine...I'd talk to
                  whomever you bought it from and ask for a replacement.

                  Jim
                  Dana Point, CA

                  --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, "davesgmc4u" <davesgmc4u@y...> wrote:
                  > light cut meaning .010, that is all i was taking off.
                  > i didnt even have a chance to cut any aluminum or brass with it
                  > before it broke. I bought the stupid thing to make small bushings
                  > and brackets for things on my harleys
                  >

                  > --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, "John Edwards"
                  >

                  > <botbuilder@c...> wrote:
                  > > What do you consider a light cut. I don't do much work in mild
                  > steel (use mostly 6061 aluminum) but I don't think I would go deeper
                  > than .020 per pass on mild steel on the small lathes. You might also
                  > if you can get in the right cutting speed (fpm) keep it in Lo gear.
                  > Also be sure that whichever gear you have it in, the selector is
                  > fully engaged so it doesn't slip out of gear while running.
                  > >
                  > > I would still attempt to see if they will replace the machine. If
                  > indeed you were taking a light cut, there is a good possibility that
                  > the machine was defective from the start. When I broke the gear in
                  > mine it was for a good reason. I ran the tool into the chuck OWW!
                  > >
                  > > John Edwards
                  > > botbuilder@c...
                  > > http://webpages.charter.net/grizzlyrobotics/

                • John Edwards

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 1, 2004
                      ok guys, get this, i went to cummins tools, they are here local and
                      have several stores. I took back the defective broken POS and they
                      didnt have another one, surprise, surprise, they had 3 yesterday!!!!
                      oh well, got a "store credit beings they wont refund any one money
                      at all, and went to another store, got one there, only one left. got
                      it home, open box, well it is broke too!!!! it has been droped on
                      the gear head side and the whole side of the lathe is brokem the
                      cover, the control box, all the side gears and all.......guess that
                      what i get for going to such a cheap cheesey store, well i gotta go
                      try yet another store to see if they got one.

                      --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, "kettletrigger"

                    • Bill Johnston
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 2, 2004
                        Try the store on Shawnee Mission Parkway near Neiman. They have
                        usually had several. By the way, did you ask Cummins if they wanted
                        to put your return out for parts cheep?