230353Re: [7x10minilathe] OT: Do you trust your Government - was: It happens again and it caused by mental illness

  • Ian Newman
    Jun 17, 2014
      Hi Ryan,

      As part of another discussion you said:

      <SNIP>
       I asked if you trust your government more?  You never answered
      </SNIP>

      A reasonable question, but rather broad in scope - my simple answer is "Mostly, yes"

      The problem with the question is that it covers so many individual issues.  It is like asking "Are Americans well educated?" or "Do cars travel quickly?"  The answer is probably "Yes" followed by "but......... [insert two pages of conditions, exceptions, etc]"

      In the UK we have found that our Government usually works and is generally beneficial.  We have a degree of corruption, the occasional Member of Parliament gets sent to prison, but I think this is not your real question.  Do you mean trust in what we refer to as the Civil Service - the full-time, non-elected, career administrators charged with implementing the wishes of Parliament?

      Again, the Civil Service attracts its share of people who are liable to abuse their powers.

      I accept that there will be occasions when the Government may eaves drop on my communications as part of an effort to prevent crime or terrorism, but I also consider there to be limits to what should be permitted.

      <SNIP>
      I'm very interested in whether or not you, personally, would be comfortable with your government having a list of items that you own and why or why not?
      </SNIP>

      Again, a question that is so broad that it almost defies discussion.

      I do not object to the Government knowing how much I earn (a requirement for taxation), what cars I own (to prevent me driving without satisfying the legal requirements to do so), whether I have the legally required insurance for any vehicles I own (again, to ensure I drive legally), what firearms I own (to ensure I keep them responsibly and do not allow them to fall in to unauthorised hands), etc.

      Taking the example of car registration, having the ability to quickly track and locate particular vehicles, and link them to particular people, is a major factor in reducing and solving car related crime and accidents.

      Do I think the Government needs to know how many pencils I have or how many cats I own? - No.  I would disapprove of having to report such things as I would consider it a waste of time and money.

      To turn the question round, you have indicated that you do not trust your Government.  Why not?  In what way do you consider them untrustworthy?

      All the best,
      Ian