229930Re: Advice for a newbie?

  • kf6cz@sbcglobal.net
    Jan 1, 2014
      Bill, it wasn't too long ago that I was a newbie too.  After much research, I started off with a Micro Mark 7x16.  The next step was a "tooling package" from www.LittleMachineShop.com.  They have a standard package for $175.95 and a "Premium" package for $279.95.  I bought the cheap one, and it works fine.  It includes much of the stuff you need to get started, including an A2Z QCTP.  My point is that these packages put a lot of stuff together as what amounts to discounted prices.  They also have tooling packages for mills, so you may want to look into that as well.  Another accessory I purchased was a wood turning tool rest for pen making.  It didn't take me long to learn that all those wood chips weren't the best thing to have flying around in and on a metal lathe.  I solved that problem with a HF 10x18 wood lathe, which is a lot for the money.  I also bought a milling adapter, which didn't really suit my needs.  It just has three screws, and no vice.  You're better off with your HF mini mill.

      Have fun with your new toy,
      Bob

      --- In 7x10minilathe@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

      > I'm hoping some of you gentlemen can offer me advice on purchasing tooling. I'm painfully new to the hobby. I have a harbor freight 7x10 mini lathe as well as a older harbor freight 5980 mill drill. I've come into a windfall which I can use to purchase some things to get me started. ($300 in Amazon gift cards)
      >
      > I'd like to get the mill part of the 3 in 1 up and running so I'm looking into collets vs endmill holders (MT2 spindle w/draw bar) The mill came sans tooling, though it did include a dead center for the tail stock and the drill chuck but no draw bar. The mill head bearings need repacked if not replaced. I'm leaning toward collets if for nothing else to save as much working room as I may. Any suggestions on decent starter end mills? IE aren't made out off the equivalent of metallic play dough. From what I've read it sounds as if I'm better off staying away from carbide until I've learned how not to break mills. I'm more interested in milling steel than aluminum.
      >
      > I've considered a larger chuck for the 7x10 but a quick change tool post and the potential to use lathe bits other than 5/16 seems like it may be a better investment. If I were more confident perhaps I'd try and buy the tooling for the mill to do the dove tails needed to make my own.
      >
      > I plan to learn to grind my own lathe bits but would like to purchase some examples in HSS to really grasp what they should look like. Pouring over the various drawings with all the angled faces isn't quite jelling for me.
      >
      > Hopefully some of you are Amazon shoppers and will be able to point me at some decent hobbyist level tooling there.
      >

      > Thanks in advance,
      > Bill

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic