Branchlines Busy Bee Kit

  • Victor Rybacki
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 16, 2001
      My construction of the Branchline Busy Bee has stalled while I try to
      work out how to attach the outside frames in a way which allows them
      to be removable - I am not keen on trapping the driving wheels
      between the dummy outside frames and the inside frames by attaching
      the outside frames permanently.

      Anybody out there done anything like this ?

      Vic
    • David Leslie Taylor
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 19, 2001
        There is a perfectly simple way of making dummy
        outside frames removable without dismantling the chassis,
        and that is to slot the axle holes downwards, so that the
        frames can be lifted away from the axles. The dummy frames
        can then be fixed to the chassis by screws, or (my
        preferred method) fixed to the underside of the footplate,
        so they become part of the body, and are not fixed in any
        way to the chassis.
        Once in place, the fact that the frames are
        slotted, and don't meet below the axle, is not readily
        apparent, most of it is hidden behind the outside cranks.
        I have to say that I am unfamiliar with the Busy
        Bee kit, so cannot comment on how this would work with this
        particular loco.
        One problem may be the mounting of the cylinders,
        what do these attach to? Ideally they need to be mounted
        on the chassis and NOT on the outside frames. This is the
        method I used when scratchbuilding a Hunslet 262 some years
        ago. I used Romford wheels, and actually made the dummy
        outside frames from Plasticard.
        Is that any help? Victor, I could send you a
        sketch if you wish.
        David Taylor.

        On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 20:36:31 -0000 Victor Rybacki
        <vrybacki@...> wrote:

        > My construction of the Branchline Busy Bee has stalled while I try to
        > work out how to attach the outside frames in a way which allows them
        > to be removable - I am not keen on trapping the driving wheels
        > between the dummy outside frames and the inside frames by attaching
        > the outside frames permanently.
        >
        > Anybody out there done anything like this ?
        >
        > Vic

        ----------------------
        David Leslie Taylor
        University of Exeter
      • Victor Rybacki
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 22, 2001
          Thanks David - the cylinders and motion bracket in the kit attach to
          the outside frames, and I don't think there is an easy way to attach
          these components to the inner frames. I am trying to work out how to
          attach the outer frames to the inner ones by screws or some kind
          of 'saddle' which sits over the inner frames.

          I read you article in RM - interesting - I am going to have to get a
          blowtorch of some kit to assemble the Roxey IOM coach kit ! Any one
          got any suggestions of a supplier ?

          Vic
        • David Leslie Taylor
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 24, 2001
            Hmmm, doesn't sound like the Busy Bee kit is
            designed to be dismantled. Obviously, without having a
            look at one, I wouldn't like to comment further.
            Regarding the Roxey "Foxdale" coach, I would
            suggest that a Resistance Soldering kit (and solder paste)
            would a better tool than a blowtorch for fitting the
            panels. The coach sides are large slabs of brass, and they
            may buckle with the heat from a blowtorch. But then, I've
            never used one, any suggestions anyone? I've also never
            used a resistance soldering set up, but everyone I know who
            has, now swears by them. They work by passing a current
            through the joint, giving instant localised heat.
            I used solder paste and a hefty iron, which was
            slow and messy. Iron and low-melt solder (145 degrees)
            would probably work, but you may get a problem with flux
            residues inside the joint. Another problem could be the
            amount of heat needed to solder the body together
            afterwards, and the prospect of unsoldering the panels!
            Strategically placed heat-sinks should solve this though.
            Thanks to all those who have made kind comments on
            my Railway Modeller article, but looking at it now it seems
            a bit waffly. Had there been less words, they could have
            printed the photos bigger!
            If anyone is in the vicinity, Bridport Town will be
            at the North Petherton show this coming weekend, 27th and
            28th, at the Community Centre, North Petherton, Somerset.
            (On A38, just south of Bridgewater, M5 junction 24) Do
            come and say hello.
            Dave.

            On Mon, 22 Jan 2001 08:23:50 -0000 Victor Rybacki
            <vrybacki@...> wrote:

            > Thanks David - the cylinders and motion bracket in the kit attach to
            > the outside frames, and I don't think there is an easy way to attach
            > these components to the inner frames. I am trying to work out how to
            > attach the outer frames to the inner ones by screws or some kind
            > of 'saddle' which sits over the inner frames.
            >
            > I read you article in RM - interesting - I am going to have to get a
            > blowtorch of some kit to assemble the Roxey IOM coach kit ! Any one
            > got any suggestions of a supplier ?
            >
            > Vic

            ----------------------
            David Leslie Taylor
            University of Exeter
          • Victor Rybacki
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 24, 2001
              The Busy Bee chassis kit id definitely not designed to be dis-
              mantled ! I bought this as a quick kit but it has stalled while I
              solve this problem (and find more time in an increasingly hectic work
              life - is it me or are we all working harder, longer hours and more
              exhausted at the weekends ?)

              I am curious about your comments about soldering large pieces of
              brass together as in the Roxey Foxdale kit - I had never thought
              about the problem of flux residue after soldering two flat pieces
              together. Obviosuly I wash the work pieces at the end of a soldering
              session, but I think you are suggesting that flux stays in such a
              joint and cannot be removed. Is this not a problem no matter what
              soldering approach you use - I like to use solder paint myself.

              Vic