shopping!

  • david
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 25, 2008
      Gentlemen�
      I�m over in the north east for a wedding in early June (don�t I have all
      the luck!!!) and as it�s an opportunity to browse UK stores for all
      sorts of 7mm materials, I wondered if there was any shop better than
      another/might be recommended in the Durham/Sunderland area that I might
      make sure I go to. Well the wedding�s only one afternoon and I�m over
      for a week!
      I�ve browsed the usual sites like �yell� but they don�t say whether a
      particular store does �O� gauge � even more important narrow gauge� And
      few stores seem to have a website; so thoughts please
      my thanks
      David Watson
      SW France

      Checked by AVG.
      25/04/2008 14:31

    • Peter Hingley
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 27, 2008
        There's quite a good model shop, covering all sorts but quite good
        for modelling materials, on the east side of the A167 (i.e. on the
        right going North) between Durham and Chester le Street, can't find
        name or exact location but I think it might be Chester Moor, they
        are in an old chapel set back from the road, very helpful staff but
        doubt if much 0 gauge. If you ride on the North York Moors Ry ( as
        you ought to !!) there is a reasonably good model shop with more
        railways and when I was last there it had dome 0 gauge wagon kits.
        Of course there's stacks of other wonderful things to see in the NE
        but not railway orientated !
        Peter D Hingley

        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 27, 2008
          Thanks Peter�
          I�ve spotted Model Active in Chester Moor � but, as I said in the mail,
          the problem is not knowing what people stock. In France you�d not know
          �O� existed! Stores with mail order service and advertising in French
          railway magazines stock OO/HO but seldom O and certainly On30 is like
          hen�s teeth. So I hope to seek out somewhere to browse � and maybe buy
          (!!) some stuff for this model village that is slowly evolving. But
          being new to the scale I�m not sure what will look right and need to see
          things in the flesh. Slaters plasticard comes in all sorts of finishes
          but I�m not convinced that the descriptions they�re given will be what I
          expect and need. The illustrations don�t give a true sense of scale.
          Difficult.
          Best wishes
          David

          I'm over in the north east for a wedding in early June (don't I have all
          the luck!!!) and as it's an opportunity to browse UK stores for all
          sorts of 7mm materials, I wondered if there was any shop better than
          another/might be recommended in the Durham/Sunderland area that I might
          make sure I go to. Well the wedding's only one afternoon and I'm over
          for a week!
          I've browsed the usual sites like 'yell' but they don't say whether a
          particular store does 'O' gauge - even more important narrow gauge...
          And
          few stores seem to have a website; so thoughts please
          my thanks
          David Watson
          SW France

          Checked by AVG.
          25/04/2008 14:31

          Checked by AVG.
          27/04/2008 09:39

          Checked by AVG.
          27/04/2008 09:39

        • Mark Bliss
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 28, 2008
            David

            I live about 20 mins drive from Model Active at Chester Moor and as
            such they tend to be my local model shop.
            They do carry a range of 0 gauge models mainly the Slaters and
            Parkside Dundas wagon kits as for anything narrow gauge I am afraid
            not.

            I have enquired a few times about the possiblity of anything narrow
            gauge being stocked but the answer is "there is not the call for it
            in the area".

            There is another model shop in Stanley "Durham Trains of Stanley"
            again a few bits of 0 gauge but not much.

            hope this is of some help

            Regards

            Mark

            --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "david" <gertsbarn@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Peter…
            > I've spotted Model Active in Chester Moor – but, as I said in the
            mail,
            > the problem is not knowing what people stock. In France you'd not
            know
            > `O' existed! Stores with mail order service and advertising in
            French
            > railway magazines stock OO/HO but seldom O and certainly On30 is
            like
            > hen's teeth. So I hope to seek out somewhere to browse – and maybe
            buy
            > (!!) some stuff for this model village that is slowly evolving. But
            > being new to the scale I'm not sure what will look right and need
            to see
            > things in the flesh. Slaters plasticard comes in all sorts of
            finishes
            > but I'm not convinced that the descriptions they're given will be
            what I
            > expect and need. The illustrations don't give a true sense of
            scale.
            > Difficult.
            > Best wishes
            > David

            Behalf
            > Of Peter Hingley
            > Sent: 27 April 2008 11:19
            > To: 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: RE: [7mm NGA] shopping! [Scanned]
            >
            > There's quite a good model shop, covering all sorts but quite good
            > for modelling materials, on the east side of the A167 (i.e. on the
            > right going North) between Durham and Chester le Street, can't find
            > name or exact location but I think it might be Chester Moor, they
            > are in an old chapel set back from the road, very helpful staff but
            > doubt if much 0 gauge. If you ride on the North York Moors Ry ( as
            > you ought to !!) there is a reasonably good model shop with more
            > railways and when I was last there it had dome 0 gauge wagon kits.
            > Of course there's stacks of other wonderful things to see in the NE
            > but not railway orientated !
            > Peter D Hingley

          • Peter Hingley
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 28, 2008
              A point here is that of course there *was* very little NG in the NE as
              far as I know, there were plenty of interesting private lines but
              mainly SG. However in most parts of the country there will be few
              'shops' as such with much NG; the nearest supplier would be EDM
              Models in York but I believe they are also a part time business. My
              ex wife (now at Durham UL) gave me a very nice book on the private
              railways of Co. Durham.

              Still there are plenty of wonderful churches, follies, cathedrals,
              waterfalls, bridges, and similar things in the NE. Berwick on Tweed
              is a wonderful little town. Glorious windmill in Sunderland... I
              could go on and on but if you are good I won't.......

              PDH

              --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com <mailto:7mmnga%40yahoogroups.com> ,
              "david" <gertsbarn@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Peter...
              > I've spotted Model Active in Chester Moor - but, as I said in the
              mail,
              > the problem is not knowing what people stock. In France you'd not
              know
              > `O' existed! Stores with mail order service and advertising in
              French
              > railway magazines stock OO/HO but seldom O and certainly On30 is
              like
              > hen's teeth. So I hope to seek out somewhere to browse - and maybe
              buy
              > (!!) some stuff for this model village that is slowly evolving. But
              > being new to the scale I'm not sure what will look right and need
              to see
              > things in the flesh. Slaters plasticard comes in all sorts of
              finishes
              > but I'm not convinced that the descriptions they're given will be
              what I
              > expect and need. The illustrations don't give a true sense of
              scale.
              > Difficult.
              > Best wishes
              > David

            • david
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 29, 2008
                Mark
                Thanks for that. As someone living in the wilds of SW France, the
                chance to look at actual sheets of Slaters stuff will be so useful. The
                layout I�m building is based on a fictitious stone built town from this
                part of the world. Actually seeing which sheets closest match the sorts
                of stones used is crucial to the realism and sending off for a sheet or
                two of different styles by mail order isn�t economically sensible. As
                far as rolling stock is concerned, I�m leaving that a while as I think
                the layout construction will take me through to the autumn� And by then
                I could be planning another trip to the UK at which I�ll raid somewhere
                that does stock NG wagons and locos � although I might have to look at
                continental examples instead.
                But thanks for your helpful comments
                David Watson

                I live about 20 mins drive from Model Active at Chester Moor and as
                such they tend to be my local model shop.
                They do carry a range of 0 gauge models mainly the Slaters and
                Parkside Dundas wagon kits as for anything narrow gauge I am afraid
                not.

                I have enquired a few times about the possiblity of anything narrow
                gauge being stocked but the answer is "there is not the call for it
                in the area".

                There is another model shop in Stanley "Durham Trains of Stanley"
                again a few bits of 0 gauge but not much.

                hope this is of some help

                Regards

                Mark

                --- In HYPERLINK
                "mailto:7mmnga%40yahoogroups.com"7mmnga@yahoogroups.-com, "david"
                <gertsbarn@.-..> wrote:

                > Thanks Peter�
                > I've spotted Model Active in Chester Moor � but, as I said in the
                mail,
                > the problem is not knowing what people stock. In France you'd not
                know
                > `O' existed! Stores with mail order service and advertising in
                French
                > railway magazines stock OO/HO but seldom O and certainly On30 is
                like
                > hen's teeth. So I hope to seek out somewhere to browse � and maybe
                buy
                > (!!) some stuff for this model village that is slowly evolving. But
                > being new to the scale I'm not sure what will look right and need
                to see
                > things in the flesh. Slaters plasticard comes in all sorts of
                finishes
                > but I'm not convinced that the descriptions they're given will be
                what I
                > expect and need. The illustrations don't give a true sense of
                scale.
                > Difficult.
                > Best wishes
                > David

                Checked by AVG.
                28/04/2008 07:18

                Checked by AVG.
                28/04/2008 07:18

              • Peter Hingley
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 29, 2008
                  Dear David,
                  Interested to read your message. I find these new fangled
                  gauge / scale designations (especially continental ones) very
                  confusing. Is there any range that would give a reasonable
                  approximation to metre gauge in 7 mm, ideally with ready made track ?
                  I assume the correct gauge would be 24 mm. If not I suppose 21 mm
                  (as in British 3ft) would be reasonably close ?
                  Incidentally I assume you have heard the terrible news
                  that the Vivarais is closing for at least two years, and is definitely
                  going to lose its mixed gauge section? Quel tragedie !
                  Peter D Hingley

                  <gertsbarn@.-..> wrote:

                  > Thanks Peter...
                  > I've spotted Model Active in Chester Moor - but, as I said in the
                  mail,
                  > the problem is not knowing what people stock. In France you'd not
                  know
                  > `O' existed! Stores with mail order service and advertising in
                  French
                  > railway magazines stock OO/HO but seldom O and certainly On30 is
                  like
                  > hen's teeth. So I hope to seek out somewhere to browse - and maybe
                  buy
                  > (!!) some stuff for this model village that is slowly evolving. But
                  > being new to the scale I'm not sure what will look right and need
                  to see
                  > things in the flesh. Slaters plasticard comes in all sorts of
                  finishes
                  > but I'm not convinced that the descriptions they're given will be
                  what I
                  > expect and need. The illustrations don't give a true sense of
                  scale.
                  > Difficult.
                  > Best wishes
                  > David

                  Checked by AVG.
                  28/04/2008 07:18

                  Checked by AVG.
                  28/04/2008 07:18

                • Andrew Young
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 30, 2008
                    If you're over in September, the Gauge O Guild's Guildex show in Telford on
                    6/7 September has the majority of 7mm scale manufacturers present.

                    Cheers,
                    Andrew

                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 30, 2008
                      Peter
                      The whole issue of scale and gauge becomes (in my tiny mind) even more
                      confusing when you switch to NG.
                      O scale is 1:43 but O-16.5 works on 1:35 scale track and the continental
                      On30 is 1:30 � so all the time it�s compromise. Thus far in my model, I
                      haven�t started to look at track or stock in any detail. The
                      photocopies of track you sent have given me a rough appearance of how
                      the track will lie in relation to the buildings. But it�s finding ways
                      of reproducing the local stone-built Bastide villages that is taxing me
                      first of all. Hence the trawl of stores when I come over in June.
                      I guess the situation over here is similar to the UK in that enthusiasts
                      who have the skills would build their own track to the width they
                      require and built (or adapt) stock to suit. In this April�s Continental
                      Modeller there�s an item by Gordon Gravett about his French layout at
                      1:50 scale and all the problems that come with it � he�s used 18mm gauge
                      track which is as close as damn it to his metre gauge (fictitious?)
                      prototype. It�s a good article but based in Brittany so the
                      architecture�s all wrong to help me!
                      If I manage to get my brain round available track, I�ll let you know

                      <gertsbarn@.--..> wrote:

                      > Thanks Peter...
                      > I've spotted Model Active in Chester Moor - but, as I said in the
                      mail,
                      > the problem is not knowing what people stock. In France you'd not
                      know
                      > `O' existed! Stores with mail order service and advertising in
                      French
                      > railway magazines stock OO/HO but seldom O and certainly On30 is
                      like
                      > hen's teeth. So I hope to seek out somewhere to browse - and maybe
                      buy
                      > (!!) some stuff for this model village that is slowly evolving. But
                      > being new to the scale I'm not sure what will look right and need
                      to see
                      > things in the flesh. Slaters plasticard comes in all sorts of
                      finishes
                      > but I'm not convinced that the descriptions they're given will be
                      what I
                      > expect and need. The illustrations don't give a true sense of
                      scale.
                      > Difficult.
                      > Best wishes
                      > David

                      Checked by AVG.
                      28/04/2008 07:18

                      Checked by AVG.
                      28/04/2008 07:18

                      Checked by AVG.
                      28/04/2008 07:18

                      Checked by AVG.
                      28/04/2008 07:18

                    • david
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 30, 2008
                        Thanks Andrew. The date�s in the diary already � just a case of
                        manoeuvering myself to get there.
                        David

                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 30, 2008
                          On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 11:42:28 +0200, "david" <gertsbarn@...>
                          wrote:

                          >Peter
                          >The whole issue of scale and gauge becomes (in my tiny mind) even more
                          >confusing when you switch to NG.
                          >O scale is 1:43 but O-16.5 works on 1:35 scale track and the continental
                          >On30 is 1:30 – so all the time it’s compromise.

                          I don't understand this. On30 is to a scale of 1:48, using a 16.5mm
                          track gauge. O-16.5 is 7mm scale (1:43) also on 16.5mm gauge track.
                          The Continental (European) designation for this is Oe, which also uses
                          16.5mm track but at 1:45 scale.

                          No idea what you mean by 1:30 and 1:35.

                          John
                          John Dennis jdennis@...
                          Melbourne,Australia Home of the HOn30 Dutton Bay Tramway
                          and the Australian Narrow Gauge Web-Exhibition Gallery
                          Dutton Bay URL: http://members.optusnet.com.au/duttonbay
                          WebX http://members.optusnet.com.au/jdennis/ng_webex.html
                        • Peter Hingley
                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 30, 2008
                            Dear David,
                            Thanks for your message. Firstly I am not sure why Mr Gravett
                            has used 50:1, French 0 scale is 1:43.5 ie 7mm / ft like ours.
                            And Fulgurex use that ratio and Fulgurex can do no wrong !! I quite
                            often buy copies of 'Voie Libre' and other frogganese mags when I
                            visit my girlfriend in Paris.
                            Secondly the method I would suggest for stonework is that
                            you cast it in plaster, or better Polyfilla. This method is used a lot
                            by US narrow gaugers and feautured in 'Narrow Gauge and Short Line
                            Gazette' etc. In the past I have dabbled in white metal / pewter
                            casting using materials from Alec Tiranti Ltd (Reading and Warren
                            St) and they do a RTV rubber which is a doddle to use. After many
                            upheavals in my life I am trying to find all the bits to get back to
                            this. So you make one or more fairly small sections of stonework
                            from scratch, having measured up the prototype stones and found
                            typical degrees of protrusion, tapered edges, etc, you mould it single
                            sided in the RTV laid on a flat surface (e.g. melamine faced chipboard
                            offcuts) kept from spreading by Lego or Duplo bricks. When the
                            polyfilla is properly dry you can stick them on to the basic 'box' of
                            the building you have made, cutting the edges so that they fit closely
                            and adding to the 'randomness' (or coursed appearance if the
                            prototype is). Personally I would make the substrate from MDF and
                            stick the sections on with slow setting ARALDITE but don't forget the
                            box has to be quite strong as the Polyfilla sections will be heavy.
                            Unfortunately I have no practical examples of this to show because
                            the buildings I am working on at present, following very helpful
                            correspondence on this List, are brick ones using Howard Scenic
                            cards stuck onto conservation grade mounting board itself stuck to
                            two layers of thin MDF.
                            If you need and masters for chimney pots made drop me a
                            line with a dimensioned sketch and I will turn them up in my Unimat for
                            you, and by that time I may even be able to cast them as well !
                            Best wishes

                            Peter D Hingley

                            <gertsbarn@.--..> wrote:

                            > Thanks Peter...
                            > I've spotted Model Active in Chester Moor - but, as I said in the
                            mail,
                            > the problem is not knowing what people stock. In France you'd not
                            know
                            > `O' existed! Stores with mail order service and advertising in
                            French
                            > railway magazines stock OO/HO but seldom O and certainly On30 is
                            like
                            > hen's teeth. So I hope to seek out somewhere to browse - and maybe
                            buy
                            > (!!) some stuff for this model village that is slowly evolving. But
                            > being new to the scale I'm not sure what will look right and need
                            to see
                            > things in the flesh. Slaters plasticard comes in all sorts of
                            finishes
                            > but I'm not convinced that the descriptions they're given will be
                            what I
                            > expect and need. The illustrations don't give a true sense of
                            scale.
                            > Difficult.
                            > Best wishes
                            > David

                            Checked by AVG.
                            28/04/2008 07:18

                            Checked by AVG.
                            28/04/2008 07:18

                            Checked by AVG.
                            28/04/2008 07:18

                            Checked by AVG.
                            28/04/2008 07:18

                          • Andrew Young
                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 30, 2008
                              Peter,

                              Re your comments regarding Mr Gravett's choice of 1:50 scale. Presume mainly because he wanted to, however his reasoning is fully explained in the excellent article on his Pempoul layout in the April issue of Continental Modeller.

                              Andrew

                              <gertsbarn@.--..> wrote:

                              > Thanks Peter...
                              > I've spotted Model Active in Chester Moor - but, as I said in the
                              mail,
                              > the problem is not knowing what people stock. In France you'd not
                              know
                              > `O' existed! Stores with mail order service and advertising in
                              French
                              > railway magazines stock OO/HO but seldom O and certainly On30 is
                              like
                              > hen's teeth. So I hope to seek out somewhere to browse - and maybe
                              buy
                              > (!!) some stuff for this model village that is slowly evolving. But
                              > being new to the scale I'm not sure what will look right and need
                              to see
                              > things in the flesh. Slaters plasticard comes in all sorts of
                              finishes
                              > but I'm not convinced that the descriptions they're given will be
                              what I
                              > expect and need. The illustrations don't give a true sense of
                              scale.
                              > Difficult.
                              > Best wishes
                              > David

                              Checked by AVG.
                              28/04/2008 07:18

                              Checked by AVG.
                              28/04/2008 07:18

                              Checked by AVG.
                              28/04/2008 07:18

                              Checked by AVG.
                              28/04/2008 07:18

                            • Michael J
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 2, 2008
                                Someone was enquiring about O scale metre gauge track. I came across
                                the following site:

                                http://wenz-modellbau.eshop.t-online.de/epages/Store.sf/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Shop00671/Categories/0m

                                It seems to be 22 or 22.5mm gauge, but I can't read German. Hope it is
                                useful for someone.

                                Cheers

                                Michael
                              • Michel MASSOT
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 2, 2008
                                  You can found Om track also here (length 500mm with silver nickel rails on
                                  plastic sleepers)
                                  http://pagesperso-orange.fr/proto87.team/tarif_locodif.html
                                  Michel
                                  2008/5/2 Michael J <thirtyinchfan@...>:

                                  > Someone was enquiring about O scale metre gauge track. I came across
                                  > the following site:
                                  >

                                  > http://wenz-modellbau.eshop.t-online.de/epages/Store.sf/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Shop00671/Categories/0m
                                  >
                                  > It seems to be 22 or 22.5mm gauge, but I can't read German. Hope it is
                                  > useful for someone.
                                  >
                                  > Cheers
                                  >
                                  > Michael

                                • Peter Hingley
                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 2, 2008
                                    Thanks very much indeed for this and I am particularly interested to
                                    read of the kit for a Vivarais Mallet (not clear whether this is the
                                    Swiss or the French built engines) . However the track is
                                    appallingly expensive, approx 70 quid for 15 ft ! Sounds like
                                    back to the solder and copper clad to me !

                                    Amites de Londres

                                    Peter D Hingley

                                    <mailto:thirtyinchfan%40pearcedale.com> >:

                                    > Someone was enquiring about O scale metre gauge track. I came across
                                    > the following site:

                                    http://wenz-modellbau.eshop.t-online.de/epages/Store.sf/?ObjectPath=/Sho
                                    ps/Shop00671/Categories/0m

                                    > It seems to be 22 or 22.5mm gauge, but I can't read German. Hope it is
                                    > useful for someone.
                                    >
                                    > Cheers
                                    >
                                    > Michael

                                  • Brian Millar
                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 2, 2008
                                      Do any of you Fella's have a link to a website which sells and has pictures
                                      of On14 track and points [turnouts]
                                      Cheers
                                      Brain.Millar
                                      rallim56@...
                                      Moderator n24_Gauge
                                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/n24_Gauge/
                                      > Thanks very much indeed for this and I am particularly interested to
                                      > read of the kit for a Vivarais Mallet (not clear whether this is the
                                      > Swiss or the French built engines) . However the track is
                                      > appallingly expensive, approx 70 quid for 15 ft ! Sounds like
                                      > back to the solder and copper clad to me !
                                      >

                                      > Amites de Londres
                                      >

                                      > Peter D Hingley

                                    • David & Crenagh
                                      Message 18 of 19 , May 2, 2008
                                        Not assembled but worth a look 'Fast Tracks'
                                        http://www.handlaidtrack.com/index.php I have used their products for On30
                                        and can build a point/turnout in 60 minutes. Not cheap but if there are a
                                        number of modellers you can combine. My only connection is that the company
                                        is Canadian based.

                                        David Elliott

                                        Victoria BC Canada

                                        _____

                                        Do any of you Fella's have a link to a website which sells and has pictures
                                        of On14 track and points [turnouts]
                                        Cheers
                                        Brain.Millar
                                        rallim56@bigpond. <mailto:rallim56%40bigpond.com> com
                                        Moderator n24_Gauge
                                        http://groups. <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/n24_Gauge/>
                                        yahoo.com/group/n24_Gauge/
                                        > Thanks very much indeed for this and I am particularly interested to
                                        > read of the kit for a Vivarais Mallet (not clear whether this is the
                                        > Swiss or the French built engines) . However the track is
                                        > appallingly expensive, approx 70 quid for 15 ft ! Sounds like
                                        > back to the solder and copper clad to me !
                                        >

                                        > Amites de Londres
                                        >

                                        > Peter D Hingley

                                      • Alan Rogers
                                        Message 19 of 19 , May 2, 2008
                                          Brian

                                          Have a look at http://www.kbscale.com/TrackParts.htm - I'm sure that David
                                          will post overseas. He's the new (a year ago now) owner of arguably the most
                                          famous range worldwide of 0n14 parts.

                                          Cheers

                                          Alan Rogers
                                          Member 1950