Re: [7mmnga] Greenly v. LBSC

  • John Clover
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 30, 2002
      As a long standing fan of LBSC and having read* just about every letter and then articles he wrote for ME and Model Maker I would agree with your comments regarding his eminence.   But at the same time I recognise that Greenly was also an excellent engineer and did a lot for the hobby in other ways.    Many model engineers slag Greenly without really knowing anything about him, apart from the famous passenger hauling competition which he lost badly, having simply read LBSC, who in turn slipped a bit in his old age.

      A problem we all face, coming sooner or later :-)
      johnclover@...
      Dunedin   New Zealand
      *I'm not that old   :-)    just our Club library has a good collection of MEs from way back.

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2002
          John,
          Yes we all slip a bit in old age.  It is nice to see somebody is interested in the beginnings of minature live steam.
          Vincent Bradley

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 31, 2002
            A very famous author of Live Steam articles in Model Engineer for many
            years.
            Vincent Bradley

            <johnclover@...> wrote:

            > As a long standing fan of LBSC and having read* just about every letter
            and then articles he wrote for ME and Model Maker I would agree with your
            comments regarding his eminence. But at the same time I recognise that
            Greenly was also an excellent engineer and did a lot for the hobby in other
            ways. Many model engineers slag Greenly without really knowing anything
            about him, apart from the famous passenger hauling competition which he lost
            badly, having simply read LBSC, who in turn slipped a bit in his old age.

            > A problem we all face, coming sooner or later :-)
            > johnclover@...
            > Dunedin New Zealand
            > *I'm not that old :-) just our Club library has a good collection of
            MEs from way back.

          • John Clover
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 31, 2002
              LBSC was in his younger days a fireman then driver for the LBSC Rly. He also scrounged at least one ride on the railway as a boy.  Using the letters as his pen-name.
              Henry Greenly was the/a design engineer for Bassett Lowke   I don't know how many they had or if he was the sole advisor ... though obviously Bassett Lowke himself was a clued up fellow too.
              johnclover@...
              Dunedin   New Zealand