Re: [7mm NGA] a layout

  • Alan Rogers
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 7, 2008
      Boyd

      Have a look for Cyril Freezer's 99 Plans for Small Layouts, a little blue
      paperwork published by PECO. Also, have a look at
      http://www.carendt.com/microplans/index.html

      Asking for help on planning a layout is, in my opinion, not the best thing
      you can do - there are so many ideas, opinions, etc that you'll go faster
      doing your own research and deciding what works for you.

      Once you've got the basis of a design, throw it open to the group - that's
      when you'll get some great feedback, along the lines of "Taking that point
      out will make this siding longer", "Changing this bit here will improve
      operating potential".

      You get the idea. Good luck and looking forward to seeing what you think
      will work for you in the massive space

      Alan Rogers
      Member 1950

    • Allan Boyd
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 7, 2008
        I was NOT asking anyone to design a layout only pointers to information online,etc

      • Bruce Wilson
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 7, 2008
          At 09:41 4/7/2008, you wrote:
          >Thanks to all who took the time and trouble to answer my query. I have
          >decided that 7mm Narrow Gauge is for me and so my next question is a
          >request for assistance in sourcing a plan for a layout.The space
          >available is the top of a bedroom chest of drawers and a bookshelf
          >which, fortunately are the same heght.The areas are 1)Left Hand
          >baseboard (Drawers)1045mm x 385mm, and 2) Right Hand baseboard
          >(bookcase) 750mm x 285mm.

          You might try taking a look at what is on Carl Arendt's site

          http://www.carendt.us/

          Bruce Wilson
          Barrie, Ontario, Canada
          Life Member NMRA
          Member Scale 7 Group Gauge 0 Guild 7mm NGA
        • Peter Hingley
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 7, 2008
            I don't think the question is at all unreasonable and I would have
            thought a few pointer type suggestions could be made especially
            for a layout in a restricted space. Here are a few thoughts;

            Include a 'visual block' so that trains appear to be 'going
            somewhere'.

            Don't try and jam too much in a small area - most NG railways are in
            remote lonely areas

            Perhaps an interchange with a standard gauge line, even if only a
            static length of track.

            Variety of scenery adds interest, eg woodland, fields, river with
            bridge. Villages and towns are much harder work to model !

            Unless modelling a real or a carefully located imaginary line,
            keep scenery 'generic' - a Kentish Oast House would look a bit
            silly alongside the Garstang and Knott End !

            I am sure many will disagree but I think a (possibly concealed)
            continuous run is a good idea, it is nice to be able to watch one's
            little trains trundle relaxingly round sometimes without
            constantly switching points etc.

            Your space sounds very small but a small harbour scene is also nice
            but beware - ships are very large things and many of the
            commercial toy / model things are dreadfully inaccurate.

            Hope that's a few thoughts for starters !

            Peter D Hingley

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 7, 2008
              There has been some very good advice given,
              particularly from Peter.

              My advice would be particularly relevant if you have
              never built a layout before but the same might apply
              if you are changing scale. Get some track down and
              just play with it before committing yourself to
              anything in particular. That way you may find out more
              closely what it is you want and how long loops,
              sidings etc might need to be. Then get along to
              exhibitions (Burton in particular of course), study
              the layouts you see and ask as many questions of as
              many people as possible.

              Good luck
              Roy Wood

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 7, 2008
                Allan,

                You haven't much area to go at, so why not go up a bit? Possibly a Festiniog
                style 'main line' running along the front, with a quarry at the back up a
                cliff face, You don't have to have an incline in view, but you could cross
                the quarry line over the 'main' to add some depth. Please, what ever you do,
                don't lay the lower track straight on the board, raise it a bit, so that
                there is scenery below track level as well as next to and above. Even on a
                supposedly level line, have sidings slightly below or above the main line
                height, it only needs to be an eighth of an inch. There was a 00 layout at
                Bradford's exhibition yesterday, virtually every bit on a different level or
                slope, looked far more like the real world than some, just enough to make it
                obvious but without shouting.

                Frank

                _____

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 7, 2008
                  Allan,

                  The web-site below may be of use, although I would echo the comments on
                  fiddling around with track or small scale mock-ups.

                  http://layoutdesigns.com/

                  No, this isn't just because I put something on it! A fair number of people
                  also recommend simulating operation with pieces of paper or card to see if
                  operational interest can be maintained or if boredom nay set in. Much
                  depends on how much of your interest is in construction or operation.

                  All the best,

                  Iain Climie

                  > Thanks to all who took the time and trouble to answer my query. I have
                  > decided that 7mm Narrow Gauge is for me and so my next question is a
                  > request for assistance in sourcing a plan for a layout.The space
                  > available is the top of a bedroom chest of drawers and a bookshelf
                  > which, fortunately are the same heght.The areas are 1)Left Hand
                  > baseboard (Drawers)1045mm x 385mm, and 2) Right Hand baseboard
                  > (bookcase) 750mm x 285mm.

                • David & Crenagh
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 7, 2008
                    Does anyone know of a 7mm kit for the WHR Kerr Stuart diesel Locomotive?

                    David

                  • Taylor, David
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 8, 2008
                      Some excellent advice there. As Roy says, build a "test track" first,
                      and just fiddle around with it. The Association Second-Hand Sales
                      department usually has some good bargains, but you need to get in
                      quickly. There are so many directions to take in NG modelling; rural
                      light-railways, Welsh slate, purely industrial, or whatever. It may
                      take time to decide.

                      If youi go to Burton, get there early for secondhand sales. The
                      Association also sells a large range of modelling handbooks, and if you
                      are not a member, you can join at the door.

                      Finally, when you are looking at layouts, make sure you've got a
                      notebook and tape-measure!

                      Good luck,
                      David Taylor.

                      --- Peter Hingley <pdh@...> wrote:

                      > I don't think the question is at all unreasonable and I would have
                      > thought a few pointer type suggestions could be made especially
                      > for a layout in a restricted space. Here are a few thoughts;
                      >

                      > Include a 'visual block' so that trains appear to
                      > be 'going
                      > somewhere'.
                      >

                      > Don't try and jam too much in a small area - most
                      > NG railways are in
                      > remote lonely areas
                      >

                      > Perhaps an interchange with a standard gauge line, even if only a
                      > static length of track.
                      >

                      > Variety of scenery adds interest, eg woodland,
                      > fields, river with
                      > bridge. Villages and towns are much harder work
                      > to model !
                      >

                      > Unless modelling a real or a carefully located
                      > imaginary line,
                      > keep scenery 'generic' - a Kentish Oast House
                      > would look a bit
                      > silly alongside the Garstang and Knott End !
                      >

                      > I am sure many will disagree but I think a
                      > (possibly concealed)
                      > continuous run is a good idea, it is nice to be
                      > able to watch one's
                      > little trains trundle relaxingly round sometimes
                      > without
                      > constantly switching points etc.
                      >

                      > Your space sounds very small but a small harbour
                      > scene is also nice
                      > but beware - ships are very large things and
                      > many of the
                      > commercial toy / model things are dreadfully
                      > inaccurate.
                      >

                      > Hope that's a few thoughts for starters !
                      >

                      > Peter D Hingley

                    • Peter Hingley
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 8, 2008
                        I totally agree with both of David's messages and however much we
                        may hate the term 'playing trains' there is a great deal to be said
                        for getting some wheels turning !

                        In answering requests from non members, and sending them copies of
                        drawings etc, I have tried to steer them towards the Assoc's
                        services.

                        Peter D Hingley

                        --- Peter Hingley <pdh@... <mailto:pdh%40ras.org.uk> > wrote:

                        > I don't think the question is at all unreasonable and I would have
                        > thought a few pointer type suggestions could be made especially
                        > for a layout in a restricted space. Here are a few thoughts;
                        >

                        > Include a 'visual block' so that trains appear to
                        > be 'going
                        > somewhere'.
                        >

                        > Don't try and jam too much in a small area - most
                        > NG railways are in
                        > remote lonely areas
                        >

                        > Perhaps an interchange with a standard gauge line, even if only a
                        > static length of track.
                        >

                        > Variety of scenery adds interest, eg woodland,
                        > fields, river with
                        > bridge. Villages and towns are much harder work
                        > to model !
                        >

                        > Unless modelling a real or a carefully located
                        > imaginary line,
                        > keep scenery 'generic' - a Kentish Oast House
                        > would look a bit
                        > silly alongside the Garstang and Knott End !
                        >

                        > I am sure many will disagree but I think a
                        > (possibly concealed)
                        > continuous run is a good idea, it is nice to be
                        > able to watch one's
                        > little trains trundle relaxingly round sometimes
                        > without
                        > constantly switching points etc.
                        >

                        > Your space sounds very small but a small harbour
                        > scene is also nice
                        > but beware - ships are very large things and
                        > many of the
                        > commercial toy / model things are dreadfully
                        > inaccurate.
                        >

                        > Hope that's a few thoughts for starters !
                        >

                        > Peter D Hingley
                        >

                        > From: 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com <mailto:7mmnga%40yahoogroups.com>

                      • Toot222
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 8, 2008
                          Hi
                          Is there some where I can join without sending money over to the UK.
                          I am in Australia and would like to join, but where.!!
                          Steve Chapman
                          Sydney Australia

                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 8, 2008
                            --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, David & Crenagh <theelliotts@...> wrote:

                            > Does anyone know of a 7mm kit for the WHR Kerr Stuart diesel
                            Locomotive?

                            As I write this reply there is no kit available.
                            However, a very fine set of masters has been made (not by me I hasten
                            to add!).
                            When it is their turn in the production schedule the kit will appear
                            under the Wrightlines label.

                            In fact, following a meeting on the FR earlier this week, I am charged
                            with trying to encourage Kay Butler to produce the kit sooner, rather
                            than later, in order that it can be used as part of the promotion of
                            the recently resurgent restoration project - but the decisions must be
                            Kay's.

                            Adrian
                          • gchalmers1@talktalk.net
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 8, 2008
                              Toot222
                              You can pay using a credit card,just down load the application form and email to Nigel Auckland.
                              Graham.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 8, 2008
                                When I spoke to Kay at Shepton she said they were with the caster, so we may
                                also need to encourage Adrian Swain (Mr ABS) as well as Kay.

                                Regards,

                                Robin