Re: North Shields, was Loco Names

    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 3, 2008
      --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Taylor, David" <DLTaylor@...> wrote:

      > Hi Adrian,
      >
      > I envy you greatly, North Shields is a great favourite of mine,
      > regularly drooled over when it appears in MRJ. I've only seen it
      the
      > once, at the amazing MRJ Exhibition at the Central Hall many years
      ago,
      > and I couldn't get very close due to the crowds.
      >
      > But "I can go round to..." ? Doesn't he live in Newcastle?

      Chris is a Geordie but he lives in leafy Buckinghamshire!

      I should have explained that doing the scale ton on North Shields
      isn't what I meant.
      Another of our little group of Scalefour modellers has built himself
      a rather impressive, oval, tailchaser that allows a continuous run of
      almost a scale mile and a half. With super-elevation and proper
      transition curves it is possible to wind Chris' big engines, complete
      with a full rake of a dozen Kitmaster or Bachmann Mk1 carriages, up
      to the ton, and more!
      Mind you, 'Hal o'the Wynd', complete with Dyna-drive needs a bit of
      care as it takes a couple of circuits to slow down!!!

      Adrian - reformed S4 modeller!
    • Taylor, David
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 3, 2008
        Ah yes, Hal o' the Wynd, doesn't the flywheel fill the entire tender?

        Dave. - Spent a lot of time with S4 modellers

        > I envy you greatly, North Shields is a great favourite of mine,
        > regularly drooled over when it appears in MRJ. I've only seen it
        the
        > once, at the amazing MRJ Exhibition at the Central Hall many years
        ago,
        > and I couldn't get very close due to the crowds.
        >
        > But "I can go round to..." ? Doesn't he live in Newcastle?

        Chris is a Geordie but he lives in leafy Buckinghamshire!

        I should have explained that doing the scale ton on North Shields isn't
        what I meant.
        Another of our little group of Scalefour modellers has built himself a
        rather impressive, oval, tailchaser that allows a continuous run of
        almost a scale mile and a half. With super-elevation and proper
        transition curves it is possible to wind Chris' big engines, complete
        with a full rake of a dozen Kitmaster or Bachmann Mk1 carriages, up to
        the ton, and more!
        Mind you, 'Hal o'the Wynd', complete with Dyna-drive needs a bit of care
        as it takes a couple of circuits to slow down!!!

        Adrian - reformed S4 modeller!

        scale or thereabouts
        2 - not restricted to members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association
        although membership of said organisation is thoroughly recommended
        3 - moderated by current serving members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge
        Association committee Yahoo! Groups Links
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 3, 2008
          It did, when written up for MRJ but, like many of Chris' locos it has
          been 'developed' since!
          The motor is now in the tender with two monster flywheels part
          shrouding it, the authentic Dyna-drive cutch gave up the ghost so
          Chris made his own.

          Adrian

          --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Taylor, David" <DLTaylor@...> wrote:

          > Ah yes, Hal o' the Wynd, doesn't the flywheel fill the entire
          tender?

          > Dave. - Spent a lot of time with S4 modellers

          Behalf