RE: [7mm NGA] WHR Baldwin

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 11 9:53 AM
      Robin,

      Thanks for the links, there’s a couple of shots that if I can get them into
      Photoshop and lighten the cab I might just be able to see enough. I’m wary
      of the GVT version, Bagnall I think it was did a lot of work on it, cost
      the GV £3000 which was more than a new loco would have cost.

      Frank

      _____

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 12 2:28 AM
        Hi Frank,

        I have dug out my Baldwin photos, but alas, they don't show the coal
        bunker! Theres lots of well lit close-ups of wheels, pipes, valve
        gear etc, would you still like them? I probably wont have time to
        send them until after Shepton.

        All the best,
        Dave.T

        --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Sharp" <robertfairlie@...> wrote:

        > David,
        >

        > Thanks for the offers, I'll take up any chance of photos of the back
        inside
        > of the cab, but there's no way I'll be coming to Shepton. Last time
        I was in
        > that area it was at Huntsman Polyurethanes, who had just taken over from
        > ICI. Their sales manager, who I knew reasonably well had just a
        fortnight to
        > retirement and 2 weeks holiday due. He was trying to sell me their
        entrance
        > carpet which had ICI logos all over it. His new boss, who he obviously
        > didn't like was getting somewhat p*ssed off by the time I left.
        >
        > You might be right that it's the ex Duxford loco. I photographed the
        bits
        > arriving in Portmadoc one year, and the year after all the bits in
        the shed
        > at Gelert's Farm, but second time I cannot recall seeing the bunker, and
        > certainly I've no pictures.
        >

        > I reckon I've cracked the 'hide the motor' problem with as you say, High
        > Level and an extension box. I've had to pin locate the boiler to the
        cab so
        > I can slide the boiler off the motor, so now I can add a back to the
        boiler.

        > There seem to be a lot of bits here and there which aren't in the kit. I
        > have the NGRS booklet, and as usual, once you start to look
        carefully, there
        > are variations. I think anyone who writes a book a on any railway
        subject
        > should get a modeller to build whatever it is, we have to look much
        closer
        > than the 'straight' railway enthusiast. I have the HMRS book on Brunel's
        > timber viaducts, I set out to draw one out in 7mm with a vague 'one day'
        > hope of a model, no way were they built exactly to the great man's
        drawings.

        > Having spent some time trying to work out how to replace the pillars
        at the
        > back of the cab with angle iron, I've just tonight woken up to the
        fact that
        > the WHR added a back to the cab, and the supports won't be visible
        anyway.
        > I've drilled and filed out all the half etched holes in the frames.
        I think
        > this kit has a bit of a reputation in that it doesn't have a running
        plate,
        > and so until you get quite a lot of it together you aren't able to
        check how
        > sub assemblies fit. The instructions say somewhere that it isn't a
        > beginner's kit, but actually, so far, and bearing in mind that I've
        altered
        > quite a bit of it, there haven't been any traumas.
        >

        > If it runs as smoothly as yours when it's done it will do, however
        you'll
        > have to knock in your track by 2½ millimetres to try it.
        >

        > Hope all goes well at Shepton, isn't this the full Monty this time, both
        > layouts running together, you'll need two whistles.
        >

        > Frank

      • Taylor, David
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 12 3:20 AM
          Hi Frank,

          Forgot to mention, I too fitted a normal hatch to each side of the coal
          bunker, on the angled section. I'm sure I've seen a photo of it
          somewhere, but no idea where it was.

          Dave.