Re: [7mmnga] Re: cameras + Unsharp Mask

  • John Clover
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 16, 2002
      Thanks for another useful site
      johnclover@...
      Dunedin   New Zealand
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Dave
      Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 2:44 AM
      Subject: [7mmnga] Re: cameras + Unsharp Mask

      this will explain things for you.

      http://www.pixilver.com/tutor_usm.html

    • Kevin Staddon
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 17, 2002
        John,
        I wholeheartedly agree with your statement ">This is the sort of short you
        ideally take with a Leica, Hasselblad, Rollei "etc etc. He then
        explained all were taken with the Clack. Which goes to show what a skilled
        operator can do with what he has got.<"
        Have said for many a year that it's
        the person who presses the button and not who makes the button, however the
        better the person with better equipment can only improve perhaps? I still
        believe I can get better results with my Canon AE1Ps for the equivalent
        price digitals, I am however exploring the digital route for a different
        reason which is why Steve sent me the picture in the first place.
        Kevin Staddon
        325
      • David Leslie Taylor
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 18, 2002
          I agree entirely with Kevin. The camera is but a
          tool, tis the photographer who takes the picture. And
          having seen many of Kevin's photographs, I can vouch for
          the stunning quality he has achieved. But having said
          that, you do need the appropriate tools for the job!
          When people have seen my photographs they often
          comment on the quality, saying "You must have a really
          good camera" Well, I have a basic, good quality 35mm SLR,
          an Olympus OM10 to be precise, with a selection of Olympus
          lenses. But this is only part of the story. I still have
          to compose the picture, manipulate the exposure, lighting,
          etc.
          Digital photography is perfect for electronic
          display, web publication, emailing for magazine publication
          etc, without the fag of paying and waiting for processing,
          and then scanning. But its when you come to print it, that
          it can start to fall down.
          If you want a smart set of photographs, to show to
          your friends, and particularly to enlarge and stick on the
          wall, then a decent optical print from a negative will
          usually win.
          Dave.T

          On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 11:44:57 +0100 Kevin Staddon
          <kstaddon@...> wrote:

          > John,
          > I wholeheartedly agree with your statement ">This is the sort of short you
          > ideally take with a Leica, Hasselblad, Rollei "etc etc. He then
          > explained all were taken with the Clack. Which goes to show what a skilled
          > operator can do with what he has got.<"
          > Have said for many a year that it's
          > the person who presses the button and not who makes the button, however the
          > better the person with better equipment can only improve perhaps? I still
          > believe I can get better results with my Canon AE1Ps for the equivalent
          > price digitals, I am however exploring the digital route for a different
          > reason which is why Steve sent me the picture in the first place.
          > Kevin Staddon
          > 325

          ----------------------
          David Leslie Taylor
          University of Exeter
        • John Clover
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 18, 2002
            I fear you are about six months behind the times with regard to digital
            printing.
            Digital can hold it's own with film with current cameras and printers.
            Even a 1.2Mp with a good pedigree can hold up at 8x6. Without treatment
            either.
            Start with 3.3Mp and create a decent sized file, say 45Mb, and print at A3.
            or 16x12in film terms.
            No doubt the new bigger Mp cameras can do even better with treatment.
            [Although there is a diminishing return for the extra money spent. The best
            improvement comes from going from a 1Mp to a 2Mp camera, and learning to
            shoot like those clever people who shoot slides , or film/video cameramen.]
            Just as a $200/60 sterling s/h filmSLR can and save you a lot of money. :-)
            Digital photography is superficially the same as film but has its own
            techniques
            and is definitedly not limited in the manner you suggest.
            Film falls down in the wrong hand.
            johnclover@...
            Dunedin New Zealand