Wigan not Warley

  • Howard Clarke
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 30, 2007
      Never mind Warley, it might be a BIG show but most of trade is for toy trains.
      Come to a real modellers show in Wigan 8/9 December and meet Howard Clarke and Frank Sharp
      See you there
      Howard 215
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 1, 2007
        --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Clarke" <clarke@...> wrote:
        >Wether its Wigan or Warley any photos for those who live out and
        beyond are always welcome.
        Thanks to those who have in the past contributed.
        Ian (membership 3105 )

        > Never mind Warley, it might be a BIG show but most of trade is for
        toy trains.
        > Come to a real modellers show in Wigan 8/9 December and meet Howard
        Clarke and Frank Sharp
        > See you there
        > Howard 215

        Behalf Of
        > David Hughes
        > Sent: November 29, 2007 06:45
        > To: 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: RE: [7mm NGA] Warley
        >
        > As far as Toronto, perhaps.
        >
        > We're talking about some of the most seriously congested roads in
        the UK. I
        > don't know BC, but Niagara to downtown Toronto is a comparable
        journey
        > (minus the fruit trees). Now you've got me longing for Canada
        again ...

        > Cheers,
        >
        > David
        >
        > To: 7mmnga@yahoogroups. <mailto:7mmnga%40yahoogroups.comFrom>
        comFrom:
        > theelliotts@ <mailto:theelliotts%40shaw.caDate> shaw.caDate: Thu,
        29 Nov
        > 2007 06:23:42 -0800Subject: RE: [7mm NGA] Warley
        >
        > David, I doubt it, it takes 7 hours Vancouver BC to Halifax NB
        and 9
        > Vancouver toHeathrow Canada is a very big country at 5.5 time
        > zones.David_____ From: 7mmnga@yahoogroups. <mailto:7mmnga%
        40yahoogroups.com>
        > com [mailto:7mmnga@yahoogroups. <mailto:7mmnga%40yahoogroups.com>
        com] On
        > Behalf OfDavid HughesSent: November 29, 2007 05:59To:
        7mmnga@yahoogroups.
        > <mailto:7mmnga%40yahoogroups.comSubject> comSubject: RE: [7mm NGA]
        > WarleyDavid,I'll bet we take longer to drive to the Ex than it
        would for you
        > to flyacross Canada (but perhaps not as long as the Atlantic too
        <g>).I plan
        > on taking my camera, and I'm sure I won't be alone.David
        HWiltshire, UKTo:
        > 7mmnga@yahoogroups. <mailto:7mmnga%40yahoogroups.comFrom>
        > comFrom:theelliotts@ <mailto:theelliotts%40shaw.caDate>
        shaw.caDate: Wed, 28
        > Nov2007 16:30:15 -0800Subject: RE: [7mm NGA] WarleyDon, and
        othersFor a few
        > of us it's a loooong way, so please eve

        29/11/2007 11:10

      • Trev
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 1, 2007
          Photos at Warley will be from the back of a 3 deep crowd an while being
          nudged in the back from the 3 deep crowd at the layout (I think thats what
          it is but Who knows) behind the photographer

          _____

          HYPERLINK
          "http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=1848942/grpspId=1706533813/msgId
          =8586/stime=1196500199/nc1=3848607/nc2=4025304/nc3=4990222"

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          21:26

        • John Mudd
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 1, 2007
            I've just got back from Warley. Busy; yes but plenty of space and not too crowded. Certainly a good show; but the floor layout I found a little confusing; but perhaps that's my age! Good value.
            John Mudd

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 1, 2007
              David,

              I'm not sure whether Howard is offering to pay your air fare, but though I'd
              be pleased to see you, I'M NOT!

              However if you come by boat, the show is only 5 minutes walk from Wigan
              Pier!

              Joking aside, I've been most years recently, either as a visitor or helping
              out somewhere, it is as Howard says, usually a modeller's show rather than a
              pile the boxes high and sell 'em cheap do. Give you some idea, there are I
              think more S4, P4 and EM layouts than 00, unfortunately only one On30, and
              thought I've seen it before, it is nicely done. However I gather
              Macclesfield's O gauge has a narrow gauge feeder, Howard's influence no
              doubt.

              If you look at the traders list, you'll see it's the last chance to stock up
              on bits and pieces ready for Christmas.

              If I'm allowed leave from the stand, I'll try to take some pictures. Come
              and say hello.

            • Don Mason
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 1, 2007
                --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Clarke" <clarke@...> wrote:

                > Never mind Warley, it might be a BIG show but most of trade is for
                toy trains.

                I take it you're not going to Warley this year then, Nobby?

                Oh heck.......today I spent nearly 300 quid on toy trains then ...and
                not a single loco or item of stock included in that either !!
              • Don Mason
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 1, 2007
                  --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "John Mudd" <jlsmudd@...> wrote:

                  > I've just got back from Warley. Busy; yes but plenty of space and
                  not too crowded. Certainly a good show; but the floor layout I found a
                  little confusing; but perhaps that's my age! Good value.
                  > John Mudd

                  John - You're dead right. The floor layout was definitely confusing
                  this year - and I told them so too.

                  Much more muddled than in previous years. I think having the biggest
                  NEC hall at their disposal this year didn't actually do them any
                  favours.
                • John Mudd
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 2, 2007
                    Don,

                    Agreed: Definitely not toys in the general meaning sense of the word. Qualified as Big Boys Toys maybe? Toys from 12" to the foot down to 1mm to the foot (Z Gauge?) Layouts and models, certainly worth thousands are certainly NOT toys or to be toyed with. I too spent out and did not waste my money on simple play things. Models are NOT TOYS.

                    Our rail network incidentally, had fun of some sort playing trains just outside of Coventry. Delayed my homeward bound journey by about 20 to 30 minutes.

                    John
                    > Never mind Warley, it might be a BIG show but most of trade is for
                    toy trains.

                    I take it you're not going to Warley this year then, Nobby?

                    Oh heck.......today I spent nearly 300 quid on toy trains then ...and
                    not a single loco or item of stock included in that either !!

                  • David Hughes
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 3, 2007
                      I understand they didn't actually want Hall 5: things did look a little sparse from the main entrance.

                      Back to David's original point, I'm afraid my photos are pants so I hope someone else has forced their way through 3 deep crowds.

                      David Hughes

                      PS For good measure I spent (or rather, distaff side did) £500 on non-toys: digital control.

                      To: 7mmnga@yahoogroups.comFrom: maineng@...: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 01:41:53 +0000Subject: [7mm NGA] Re: Wigan not Warley

                      --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "John Mudd" <jlsmudd@...> wrote:>> I've just got back from Warley. Busy; yes but plenty of space and not too crowded. Certainly a good show; but the floor layout I found a little confusing; but perhaps that's my age! Good value.> John Mudd> John - You're dead right. The floor layout was definitely confusing this year - and I told them so too.Much more muddled than in previous years. I think having the biggest NEC hall at their disposal this year didn't actually do them any favours.

                    • Roy Wood
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 4, 2007
                        > I understand they didn't actually want Hall 5:
                        > things did look a little sparse from the main
                        > entrance.

                        From the exhibitors point of view this translates to,
                        for once, having lots of welcome space behind the
                        layout! The gangways looked adequate, too.
                        regards
                        Roy Wood

                        > Back to David's original point, I'm afraid my photos
                        > are pants so I hope someone else has forced their
                        > way through 3 deep crowds.
                        >
                        > David Hughes
                        >
                        > PS For good measure I spent (or rather, distaff side
                        > did) £500 on non-toys: digital control.
                        >

                        > To: 7mmnga@yahoogroups.comFrom:
                        > maineng@...: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 01:41:53
                        > +0000Subject: [7mm NGA] Re: Wigan not Warley
                        >

                        > --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "John Mudd"
                        > <jlsmudd@...> wrote:>> I've just got back from
                        > Warley. Busy; yes but plenty of space and not too
                        > crowded. Certainly a good show; but the floor layout
                        > I found a little confusing; but perhaps that's my
                        > age! Good value.> John Mudd> John - You're dead
                        > right. The floor layout was definitely confusing
                        > this year - and I told them so too.Much more muddled
                        > than in previous years. I think having the biggest
                        > NEC hall at their disposal this year didn't actually
                        > do them any favours.

                        > removed]
                        >

                        > This group is:
                        > 1 - for people interested in modelling narrow gauge
                        > railways in 7mm:1ft scale or thereabouts
                        > 2 - not restricted to members of the 7mm Narrow
                        > Gauge Association although membership of said
                        > organisation is thoroughly recommended
                        > 3 - moderated by current serving members of the 7mm
                        > Narrow Gauge Association committee
                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • John C. Smith
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 4, 2007
                          As a member of the Warley Club perhaps I can shed a little light on the subject of Hall 5. Roy is quite correct in saying that it was not the hall of our original choice, however it should be born in mind that whilst the Show is big in model railway terms as a customer of the NEC we are small fry!

                          Last weekend the BBC Food Show was running for, I think, five days occupying several halls, together with the Motor Cycle Show, also occupying several halls. It is not just hall occupation to take into account of course, there's dozens of other logistical matters to be thought through.

                          When offered Hall 5 we accepted it, although the floor area was greatly in excess of our needs, as we saw it had several advantages. We were able to become virtually self contained, all ticket booths would be in the hall, getting us off the concourse, (this was useful as people wanting to buy tickets for other shows wouldn't be trying to get them from our ticket booths and delaying our customers); all queues would be in the hall, again without clogging the concourse; it was more convenient for people travelling by train to get to us, a high proportion of our visitors do come by train especially on the Saturday, all catering, including exhibitors catering was in the hall, (a major plus point I might add), and it was convenient not to have to spill over into parts of other halls as has happened on some previous exhibitions.

                          It also enabled us to provide aisles of more than adequate width and the layouts had plenty of space, more than can be said for some well known exhibitions as I have found to my discomfort and inconvenience on numerous occasions. Security was also much easier to supervise, like a lot of other shows I guess, the "light fingered brigade" like to test us from time to time.

                          Next year we are having to change the dates to 22nd and 23rd November, again not from our choice but because the Motor Cycle Show is, I think, expanding threefold and taking over a huge slice of the NEC including the circulation areas so we, as small fry, got the big heave-ho, I can say however that we are guaranteed the new dates for at least the next two years.

                          I trust this helps to clarify the situation

                          John Smith.

                          > I understand they didn't actually want Hall 5:
                          > things did look a little sparse from the main
                          > entrance.

                          From the exhibitors point of view this translates to,
                          for once, having lots of welcome space behind the
                          layout! The gangways looked adequate, too.
                          regards
                          Roy Wood

                          > Back to David's original point, I'm afraid my photos
                          > are pants so I hope someone else has forced their
                          > way through 3 deep crowds.
                          >
                          > David Hughes
                          >
                          > PS For good measure I spent (or rather, distaff side
                          > did) £500 on non-toys: digital control.
                          >

                          > To: 7mmnga@yahoogroups.comFrom:
                          > maineng@...: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 01:41:53
                          > +0000Subject: [7mm NGA] Re: Wigan not Warley
                          >

                          > --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "John Mudd"
                          > <jlsmudd@...> wrote:>> I've just got back from
                          > Warley. Busy; yes but plenty of space and not too
                          > crowded. Certainly a good show; but the floor layout
                          > I found a little confusing; but perhaps that's my
                          > age! Good value.> John Mudd> John - You're dead
                          > right. The floor layout was definitely confusing
                          > this year - and I told them so too.Much more muddled
                          > than in previous years. I think having the biggest
                          > NEC hall at their disposal this year didn't actually
                          > do them any favours.

                          > removed]
                          >

                          > This group is:
                          > 1 - for people interested in modelling narrow gauge
                          > railways in 7mm:1ft scale or thereabouts
                          > 2 - not restricted to members of the 7mm Narrow
                          > Gauge Association although membership of said
                          > organisation is thoroughly recommended
                          > 3 - moderated by current serving members of the 7mm
                          > Narrow Gauge Association committee
                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Don Mason
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 5, 2007
                            Thanks to John C Smith for an excellent post.

                            I hope John, you didn't take my original comment the wrong way.....

                            All of the points you made were extremely valid and all of the
                            advantages you listed certainly worked out extremely well.

                            The hall was much less crowded than usual, with plenty of aisle
                            spce, etc ....which was very welcome, as were all of the other
                            facilities 'en-suite', as it were.

                            All in all, a first-class effort from everyone concerned at the
                            Warley Club.

                            However, I still think it was difficult to navigate this year for
                            some reason - at first glance, most of the layouts seemed to be in
                            one place and most of the trade in another - but then it went wrong,
                            with other odd traders dotted about all over the place, mixed in
                            with layouts, demos, etc. I had great difficulty in finding some of
                            my 'regular visits' this year.

                            Personally, I would much prefer to go the USA way and keep layouts
                            and trade well apart. That way, those who want to look at layouts
                            can do so in peace, whilst those who would rather spend all day
                            buying can also do so, without getting in each other's way.

                            But well done again for a 'spiffing' event overall, as they used to
                            say at public school !!
                          • John C. Smith
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 6, 2007
                              Greetings Don,

                              Don't worry, no offence was taken at all, I just felt that it might be helpful to give a bit of insight into the problems etc. that we sometimes face!

                              I agree that perhaps it was difficult to navigate but again one has to strike a balance, for instance all the traders who book shell stands are grouped around the perimeter as the back of these stands form the "wall" of the hall. In some cases we try to keep specialist traders near to the specialist layouts and enthusiasts they serve it but, like the best laid plans of mice and men, it doesn't always work! We try to please the majority of our visitors, and let's face it, if they don't like it they are going to vote by their feet next year, so we hope we get it somewhere near as right as we can get it!

                              Coming back to the problem of logistics that I mentioned in my earlier post, Warley is one of the few shows in the country where all exhibitors and traders can drive their vehicles into the exhibition hall, right up to their pitch to unload their layout/stock, (no carrying heavy layouts long distances!), Hall 5 had several vehicular access doors, the show closed at 5pm on Sunday and by 6-30, with one or two exceptions the hall was completely clear. In the crowded NEC complex, getting those vehicles in the right place at the right time takes a bit of organising!

                              HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL THERE NEXT YEAR!

                              John.

                              -----

                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 6, 2007
                                I'm glad there's been such a wide variety of opinions aired on Warley (and Wigan). For what it's worth, this was my first visit to Warley, and I think I'll go again. However what I've learned is that Warley really deserves if not to be visited both days, then at least for a full day. I arrived 12.30 on Sunday and left as it closed, and this wasn't enough. I didn't even manage to visit the 7mmNGA stand, for shame!

                                I was encouraged to go by my L&B partner-in-crime, Steve. His better half runs a lace-making business and they came across Warley because for many years they've shared NEC as a venue, same weekend as a Midlands lace event. This year the lace event switched to Cranmore Park in Solihull, because NEC wanted large parking fees, with only meagre 'incentives' for clearing the hall by 5.30. At the lace event they kept hearing from women that their other halves were struggling to get into NEC for Warley. There appears to be quite an affinity between needlecrafts and model engineering (and male lace-makers and female loco builders show it works both ways). So why not a combined event?

                                I'm with Don on separating trade from layouts/demonstrations, by the way. I probably spent more time at the trade stands than at layouts, and I don't think separation would change that.

                                David H

                                To: 7mmnga@yahoogroups.comFrom: john.1.smith@...: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 10:03:36 +0000Subject: Re: [7mm NGA] To John C Smith - Re: Wigan not Warley

                                Greetings Don,Don't worry, no offence was taken at all, I just felt that it might be helpful to give a bit of insight into the problems etc. that we sometimes face!I agree that perhaps it was difficult to navigate but again one has to strike a balance, for instance all the traders who book shell stands are grouped around the perimeter as the back of these stands form the "wall" of the hall. In some cases we try to keep specialist traders near to the specialist layouts and enthusiasts they serve it but, like the best laid plans of mice and men, it doesn't always work! We try to please the majority of our visitors, and let's face it, if they don't like it they are going to vote by their feet next year, so we hope we get it somewhere near as right as we can get it!Coming back to the problem of logistics that I mentioned in my earlier post, Warley is one of the few shows in the country where all exhibitors and traders can drive their vehicles into the exhibition hall, right up to their pitch to unload their layout/stock, (no carrying heavy layouts long distances!), Hall 5 had several vehicular access doors, the show closed at 5pm on Sunday and by 6-30, with one or two exceptions the hall was completely clear. In the crowded NEC complex, getting those vehicles in the right place at the right time takes a bit of organising!HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL THERE NEXT YEAR!John.----- From: Don Mason To: 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 6:27 PMSubject: [7mm NGA] To John C Smith - Re: Wigan not WarleyThanks to John C Smith for an excellent post.I hope John, you didn't take my original comment the wrong way.....All of the points you made were extremely valid and all of the advantages you listed certainly worked out extremely well.The hall was much less crowded than usual, with plenty of aisle spce, etc ....which was very welcome, as were all of the other facilities 'en-suite', as it were.All in all, a first-class effort from everyone concerned at the Warley Club.However, I still think it was difficult to navigate this year for some reason - at first glance, most of the layouts seemed to be in one place and most of the trade in another - but then it went wrong, with other odd traders dotted about all over the place, mixed in with layouts, demos, etc. I had great difficulty in finding some of my 'regular visits' this year.Personally, I would much prefer to go the USA way and keep layouts and trade well apart. That way, those who want to look at layouts can do so in peace, whilst those who would rather spend all day buying can also do so, without getting in each other's way.But well done again for a 'spiffing' event overall, as they used to say at public school !![Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                              • Bob Prewett

                                  To: 7mmnga@yahoogroups. comFrom: john.1.smith@ blueyonder. co.ukDate: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 10:03:36 +0000Subject: Re: [7mm NGA] To John C Smith - Re: Wigan not Warley

[...]

                                  http://www.newhotma il.co.uk

                                  Make the switch to the world's best email. Get the new Yahoo!7 Mail now. www.yahoo7.com.au/worldsbestemail

                                • Nicholas Tozer
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 6, 2007
                                    > Personally, I would much prefer to go the USA way and keep layouts
                                    > and trade well apart. That way, those who want to look at layouts
                                    > can do so in peace, whilst those who would rather spend all day
                                    > buying can also do so, without getting in each other's way.

                                    As a trader I must say that arrangement would be a nightmare!
                                    Experience has shown that where we are seperated from the layouts then
                                    sales plummet ... and when you realise how much we have to sell just
                                    to break even in these days of ever increasing stall fees that is not
                                    good! Only a percentage of customers actually set out from home
                                    knowing that they want to buy an item from me but when they have to
                                    pass me en route to the next layout then they often stop and browse
                                    ... and then sometimes they buy something! Now that may sound
                                    mercenary but if I don't make enough to make my attendance viable then
                                    I have to make big decisions regarding my future attendance at an
                                    exhibition ... and if traders aren't there to pay stall fees then a)
                                    who will pay for the layout expenses and Hall hire and b)how will the
                                    percentage who go to exhibitions mainly to examine/choose their
                                    goodies from the stalls feel?

                                    Regards

                                    Nick