Digital Camara

  • Roy Parkes
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 10, 2002
      I seem to remember someone a few months back talking about the quality of the pictures they had taken with a cheap digital camara, and then offering to pass on the info regarding same if anyone was interested.

      I am at present thinking of purchasing a camara and would be pleased to hear regarding the above, asuming my memory serves me correctly.

      ---
    • John Clover
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 11, 2002
        I've been driving digital since Sept'00 with first a Coolicam and now as a result a Canon s20.
        The first hooked me and the second satisfies me to an extent but limits me compared with my SLR and it's lenses.
        Largely it depends on what you want to do, or happy to limit yourself to doing, and what is acceptable to you..
        If you have hopes of selling them forget about a cheap digital.  Far better would be to pick up an older SLR which secondhand will cost you no more and have the capability of the 3500 pound digital or better.

        The Coolicam with it's 380x260 pixels{or something like that] satisfied me for the immediate purpose of getting pictures for our xeroxed club magazine and was reasonable if I took bold close-ups.
        Are you an SLR owner?
        There are some interesting medium priced cameras coming on the market this year with better definition than when I started.    Forget digital zoom, you should be able to do that in your computer, since it simply enlarges part of the image with resulting  drop in quality much more noticeable in digital than film.
        3x optical zoom is the minimum to go for and seems to be becoming an industry basic.

        A cheap digital camera simply gives you the immediacy of digital and you need to go up to 1Mp plus to match the 'throw-away' film camera for quality.   Unlike the box brownie which it might be compared to, when properly handled, gave good results.
        johnclover@...
        Dunedin   New Zealand
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 11, 2002
          Roy

          At the bottom of the 7mmnga home page there is a table listing the
          number of messages by month. Just above this is a search box. Enter
          'digital camera', click on 'search' and you will find all the
          entries.

          The camera I use is a Kodak DX3500 2.2 megapixel camera that lists for
          $C399.00 and I got mine on sale at $C230.00! It is an absolute joy to
          use and produces great model photos. Have a look at 'Arches' in the
          Photo section.

          Yes, a standard camera and good lenses will take superior images but
          the f-r-u-s-t-r-a-t-i-o-n in getting them can be enormous! The images
          in the file mentioned were instantaneous and extremely gratifying. They
          are way above anything I have ever managed before, and believe me I
          have a lot of experience, and published results, to back up that
          statement. An image from the DX is in the latest Narrow Gauge and
          Shortlines Gazette so it can produce an acceptable small size image for
          some publishers and NGSLG is one of the very good ones!

          Kodak have a DX4900 that is a 4.0 megapixel camera. This will certainly
          produce images that the mags will take.

          2.2 megapixel is probably as low as you want to go to get reasonable
          results. I get good 5 x 7 prints and excellent 4 x 6 ones from it. How
          often do you need anything bigger?

          'nuff said!

          Brian Fayle

          back in Puslinch Twp ON after a blast at the National Narrow Gauge
          Convention in Warwick RI

          --- In 7mmnga@y..., "Roy Parkes" <r.parkes@v...> wrote:
          > I seem to remember someone a few months back talking about the quality of the pictures they had taken with a cheap digital camara, and then offering to pass on the info regarding same if anyone was interested.
          >
          > I am at present thinking of purchasing a camara and would be pleased to hear regarding the above, asuming my memory serves me correctly.
          >

          > ---
        • John Clover
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 11, 2002
            Thanks for the info as to how to search for messages .. learn something new every day

            Digital Cameras ....
            The point here is how much money a person has to divert from important things like railway projects,wife and child[ren] pets food etc. :-)
            You will not get good photographs, except for web use only, from the cheap cameras of less than 1.2Mp.

            Brians cameras are in the medium and upper medium range, as is my Canon S20.

            Without wishing to sound 'toffy nosed' it also depends on ones training in photographic quality, if any.
            I'm talking as a professional here.

            As a pro I am completely happy with results from running my S20 at medium setting, I think about 1.2Mp, 1024x768 anyway, while away on holiday.  ie general views rather than juicy close-ups.  The results printed at 8 inches x 6 inches for assessment.  But to get 20x16's you need to move up to more Mps.
            I think the quality of the lens counts too.  Rather like the idea of Panasonic's, a good electronic marque, coupled with the Leica  lens, but not from personal use.

            There is another sad fact ....things look wonderful on the computer monitor ... but printed on paper is another matter ...which I guess is how web-cameras et al. get away with it.

            Apart from the immediacy of digital it is ridiculous the amount of money spent on digital cameras to get the same quality of a fifty pound s/h SLR.    But like Brian I am hooked on the speed of turn around and being able to rough check what I have actually got immediately after taking the shot ... better than Polaroid which some pros used to check set-ups etc in the past.

            One Editor I deal with expressed his dismay at the digital material people were sending him.  His magazine I would describe as a 'coffee-table' glossy with half and full page illustrations..     So I have been very cautious before sending him any digital material to make sure standards are maintained through the complicated process of printing a magazine.     A shame really because I'm getting lazy with age and like my lightweight digital pocket camera, instead of lugging around some 6kg of film gear.   :-)

            johnclover@...
            Dunedin   New Zealand

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 11, 2002
              >Apart from the immediacy of digital it is ridiculous the amount of money spent on digital cameras to get the same quality of a fifty pound s/h SLR. But like Brian I am hooked on the speed of turn around and being able to rough check what I have actually got immediately after taking the shot ... better than Polaroid which some pros used to check set-ups etc in the past.

              One other factor when comparing digital with SLR cameras for model
              railway photography, is the ability for a digital to get "inside" the
              scene. Photos can be taken in places which are physically impossible
              with an SLR, where most photos are taken on a tripod standing
              (naturally) outside the layout.

              I have had 1/2 page digital photos printed in model railway magazines
              (including the NG and Shortline Gazette) taken with my little 1.2 Mp
              camera - but I take a great deal of care, save the picture on the
              memory card as a TIFF, and spend some time in the "digital darkroom"
              performing, amongst other things, an "unsharp" mask over the image. I
              also think that the lens on my Olympus is excellent, as other more
              expensive cameras (higher resolution too) don't seem to be able to
              achieve the same sharpness as I can.

              My preference would be to go with a camera from a camera manufacturer
              rather than an electronics company, but that just a "gut feel".

              John

              John Dennis jdennis@...
              Melbourne,Australia Home of the HOn30 Dutton Bay Tramway
              and the Australian Narrow Gauge Web-Exhibition Gallery
              Dutton Bay URL: http://members.optushome.com.au/duttonbay
              WebX http://members.optushome.com.au/jdennis/ng_webex.html
            • Michael Staats
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 11, 2002
                Hello list,

                Some 2 years ago I skipped partly over to digital camera. I bought a
                Sony F-505 (3,3 Mpics). This an ideal camera to take pictures from
                models. You can turn the body and lens to almost 90 degrees. So you
                can lay the lens on the traitable and look on the display from above.
                This way real "live" pictures are possible. It is a very nice camera..

                regards,

                Michael Staats
                the Netherlands

                --- In 7mmnga@y..., "Roy Parkes" <r.parkes@v...> wrote:
                > I seem to remember someone a few months back talking about the
                quality of the pictures they had taken with a cheap digital camara,
                and then offering to pass on the info regarding same if anyone was
                interested.

                > I am at present thinking of purchasing a camara and would be
                pleased to hear regarding the above, asuming my memory serves me
                correctly.

                > ---
              • John Clover
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 12, 2002
                  I wonder if the moderators think we have gone far enough with this only partially related subject.:-)
                  Having only just downloaded an evaluation copy of Paint Shop Pro I would appreciate explanation about what you mean by 'unsharp' mask ..perhaps directly off group if you have the time?
                  My reason for eyeing Panasonic was the price and the lens.    I still wonder if my desire for as many Mp's as possible led me astray, not knowing what good results can be got from the 1.2Mp camera with a good lens.
                  It was quite a time before I realised that jpg wasn't the answer for everything :-) and started using tif

                  johnclover@...
                  Dunedin   New Zealand
                    Whilst I heartily concur with John's advice to save as a TIFF, I have to say
                    that I would rather receive images for publication in their "as is" state,
                    and do the quasi-darkroom work myself; I know what our printers like to
                    receive, and I can also try to ensure similarity of "feel" across all the
                    pictures that appear in Narrow Lines

                    Just my opinion - other Editors may disagree!

                    Cheers
                    Graham

                    > >Apart from the immediacy of digital it is ridiculous the amount of money
                    spent on digital cameras to get the same quality of a fifty pound s/h SLR.
                    But like Brian I am hooked on the speed of turn around and being able to
                    rough check what I have actually got immediately after taking the shot ...
                    better than Polaroid which some pros used to check set-ups etc in the past.

                    > One other factor when comparing digital with SLR cameras for model
                    > railway photography, is the ability for a digital to get "inside" the
                    > scene. Photos can be taken in places which are physically impossible
                    > with an SLR, where most photos are taken on a tripod standing
                    > (naturally) outside the layout.
                    >
                    > I have had 1/2 page digital photos printed in model railway magazines
                    > (including the NG and Shortline Gazette) taken with my little 1.2 Mp
                    > camera - but I take a great deal of care, save the picture on the
                    > memory card as a TIFF, and spend some time in the "digital darkroom"
                    > performing, amongst other things, an "unsharp" mask over the image. I
                    > also think that the lens on my Olympus is excellent, as other more
                    > expensive cameras (higher resolution too) don't seem to be able to
                    > achieve the same sharpness as I can.
                    >
                    > My preference would be to go with a camera from a camera manufacturer
                    > rather than an electronics company, but that just a "gut feel".
                    >
                    > John

                  • John Dennis
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 1, 2002
                      Michael at al,

                      No problems. Mentioning the AMRM site does remind me that they now
                      have an index too. Searching for "Sentinel" confirmed the issue
                      number.

                      There is no mention of back issues, but perhaps when the planned
                      secure pages are set up for subscriptions, etc, you may be able to
                      order back issues directly. Certainly an email should enable a back
                      issue to be provided for something as recently as December last year.

                      John