Narrow Gauge roundhouse

  • Brian Lunn
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
      Hi Everybody

      I would like to scratch build a small wooden roundhouse for my 0n30 layout
      but I am having difficulty finding details, decent photographs, plans, etc.

      I believe there are some plans in the Structures of the Maine 2 footers by
      Peter S Barney but have been unable to track down a copy.

      Can anyone on the list please help me with plans, details or even point me
      in the right direction to find them?

      Many thanks

      Brian Lunn

    • Russell J Postlewaight
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
        Hi Brian

        I have some plans of the five stall wooden roundhouse that was at the
        Pacific Coast Railway in San Luis Obispo California. I drew them up before
        my friend Ken Westcott's book was published. Please contact me off list to
        discuss.

        Regards
        Russell
        Wellington NZ

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007
          Brian,
          The Maine two footers didn't use many roundhouses as such. Due to the
          weather and the size of equipment some turntables were inside the engine
          house. Usually things were very simple and cheap on the 2 footers. Several
          engine houses that I can think of with external turntables had the tracks
          parallel in the engine house not radially spaced. Your best bet for small
          American roundhouses would be 3 foot gauge railroads. There were plenty
          that used 2 and 3 stall roundhouses with turntables and one or two without.
          Since I am at work I can't give you examples.

          Vincent Bradley - 1707

          I would like to scratch build a small wooden roundhouse for my 0n30 layout
          but I am having difficulty finding details, decent photographs, plans, etc.

          I believe there are some plans in the Structures of the Maine 2 footers by
          Peter S Barney but have been unable to track down a copy.

          Can anyone on the list please help me with plans, details or even point me
          in the right direction to find them?

          Many thanks

          Brian Lunn

          scale or thereabouts
          2 - not restricted to members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association although
          3 - moderated by current serving members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association
          committee
          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Dave Eggleston
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007
            The Sandy River had radial engine houses of 2 or more stalls (Phillips, Kingfield, Rangeley, Bigelow (?)) and the Kennebec Central also had a radial roundhouse. The Kennebec's roundhouse was a very tiny 2 stall affair. There may be plans out there but most I've seen are in out-of-print books or magazines. I have one book with plans for the Kingfield roundhouse but can't recall the title as I, too, am at work (don't tell the boss).

            I agree the 3' gauge lines can provide ideas. Lines like the Pacific Coast Ry had larger radial roundhouses that could easily be cut down to 2 or 3 stalls effectively. Plans for this are in Westcott's book on the line. But these would still be big structures. If you only need one stall, lines like the Nevada Central at Austin, Nevada, or the enginehouses found on the Southern Pacific narrow gauge (Carson & Colorado) are perfect examples of a single, long, rectangular structure on a turntable that could house one engine overnight (roughly 16' wide x 40-60' long). Plans for the former don't exist, but there are plans for the SPng structures out there. The Virginia City roundhouse on the Virginia & Truckee would be another that could be adapted to ng use by changing dimensions for the smaller engines--plans for this were published in the NG&SL Gazette back in the early 1980s. Contacting the editor, Bob Brown, may yield plans. He's also a modeller of 2'
            subjects and may be able to provide more info; his model of the Kennebec Central enginehouse won 1st place at the US NMRA national convention in the early 1970s.

            I'm not aware of any interior turntables on the Maine lines--those on the Sandy River, the Kennebec Central, the Monson, the WW&F, the Billerica & Bedford were all exterior. I'm probably forgetting something, it's been a long time since I studied those lines.

            Finally, look at the most recent issue of the Gazette. In the back is a tribute to Gordon North, early On30 modeller. One photo shows his small roundhouse, probably exactly what you're looking for.

            Dave Eggleston
            2929

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 3, 2007
              Many thanks to those who replied, I have several new leads to follow from
              your suggestions.

              Regards

              Brian Lunn