Fw: NG driving wheels

  • Kelvin A. White
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2007
      Reposted as requested by Russel

      KW

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Kelvin A. White
      To: 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 9:18 PM
      Subject: NG driving wheels

      I've just received a order for some of the Slater's 7mm Irish/Manx 21mm gauge wheels. The 3ft 9in driving wheels are magnificent. I dug out my Micrometer to look at how they compare to other wheels

      Tyre width (including flange)
      100 thou: Alan Gibson 4mm driving wheel in Branchlines chassis kit
      110 thou: Slater's Irish/Manx 21mm gauge
      125 thou: Slater's Scale 7 wheel
      137 thou: Slater's O fine wheel

      Flange depth on the Slater's Irish/Manx wheel is 26 - 27 thou which I equate to RP25 standards. The Scale 7 flange is finer and O fine is slightly deeper

      Thus in my quest for 3ft & 3ft 6in Irish driving wheels (with the right number of spokes I can have steamroller wide wheels as supplied to O fine standards but with a 21mm gauge axle or hope persuade Slater's or another manufacturer to make these wheels.

      What is so amazing is that the 7mm NG hobby is quite content to restrict its modelling choice to small locomotives with tiny wheels!

      The L&B 2-6-2Ts is a move in the right direction but they only have 2ft 9in wheels ( the VoR tanks were based on the L&B tanks but had 2ft 6in wheels). The W&L BP 0-6-0Ts had 2ft 9in wheels as well ...... I believe there is a market for larger NG locomotives with wheels that aren't roller casters!

      Kelvin White
      Oxford, England

      Email: kelvin@...

    • John Clutterbuck
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2007
        --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Kelvin A. White" <kelvin@...> wrote:

        > Thus in my quest for 3ft & 3ft 6in Irish driving wheels (with the
        right number of spokes I can have steamroller wide wheels as supplied
        to O fine standards but with a 21mm gauge axle or hope persuade
        Slater's or another manufacturer to make these wheels.

        > What is so amazing is that the 7mm NG hobby is quite content to
        restrict its modelling choice to small locomotives with tiny wheels!

        I agree that some larger locos would be nice to see. I have long
        hankered after modelling some of the big Lough Swilly locos but
        building my 2'(in O-14) layout and locos have taken 20+ years so far
        and are likely to take many more years yet.

        Again if I modelled in O-16.5 I would veer towards the 750mm
        prototypes such as the old Yugoslavian systems. Anyone fancy building
        a Klose 0-10+2T?

        I assume you have looked at the Alan Gibson 7mm wheels:
        http://www.scalefour.org/ag/ag4det/wheeltbl71.htm
        I'm not sure what the fixings are and how easy it would be to make
        shorter axles. A skim with a Scale7 profile tool may help too.

        Regards
        John