Re: [7mm NGA] Branchlines split axles

  • Howard Clarke
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 27, 2007
      Hi Frank
      If you are building one of Backwoods slope back tenders am I correct in thinking you will be using Chivers bogies, if so note the wheels Chivers supplies are insulated on one side only so it is easy enough to arrange pickup from the brass axle bearings on one bogie and the reverse on the other.
      With Bachmann bogies I have added conventional wiper pickups from the backs of the wheels on both bogies with no problems, had an article published in Narrow Lines some time ago on improving performance of Bachmann 2-6-0's, not sure which issue and I cannot find the photos, presume the old editor still has them.
      Hope this helps
      Regards
      Howard
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 27, 2007
        Thanks Howard,

        I'm not using the Chiver's trucks, and I have some
        suitable Romford wheels. I'll use some sort of inside frame, so the bearings
        collect current from both sides. I remember your article, but I'm always
        wary of wipers on undriven wheels.

      • Howard Clarke
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 28, 2007
          Remember that Romford wheels are expensive and come on steel axles which love Kadee uncoupling
          magnets.
          I now use the Hornby metal wagon wheels, they are much cheaper and every bit as good.
          Try using phosphor bronze 'Boiler Band strip' for pickup wipers instead of wire, easier to mount onto copperclad and very reliable.