Re:Gn15 in 7mm NGA

  • David Woodcock
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 3, 2007
      When I first joined the 7mmNGA around three decades ago, I was
      working on a model of the Rye & Camber Tramway (3ft gauge) in 1/4inch
      scale to run on P4 (ie 18.83mm gauge) track. For various reasons, not
      least that the prototype was really too miniscule despite its 3ft
      gauge, I eventually gave up on the R&CT but not before contributing
      both drawings to NL/NLE and other information to Laurie Cooksey's
      definitive history.

      SInce then I have dabbled mainly in 0n14, modelling industrial type
      prototypes - I even contributed a half-built layout to the 2005
      EXPONG Cubic Challenge (and it is still only half built nearly two
      years on!) - but have also revamped a Bachmann Davenport Gas
      Mechanical in On30 (1/4inch scale on 16.5mm gauge) using a Backwoods
      kit, which has since been sold on and now runs on other people's
      exhibition layouts.

      I have also half-built a LNWR Crewe 18in gauge works loco (it will be
      either Billy or Dickie) in 12mm scale to run on EM (ie 18.2mm gauge),
      dabbled with a couple of high quality OO9 kits (a Meridian Baldwin
      50hp Gas Mechanical and a Backwoods Barclay 0-4-0T), and, for a
      friend, built two power bogies in OOn12 to go under a pair of Isle of
      Man ex-Donegal Walker railcars.

      The 4mm models stood out as presenting different problems related to
      their scale (and the relative size of my fingers!), but, despite the
      wide variation in actual scales, everything else that I have worked
      on has presented similar problems in terms of wheels, gears, motors,
      etc. and in sourcing components.

      Therefore I think that there is a good case to be made for a "broad
      church" 7mmNGA, perhaps starting at 6mm (1:50) scale as used by
      Gordon Gravett for his soon to be with us Reseau Breton layout and
      going upto Gn15. The over-riding factor being the general bulk of the
      models (and think how they vary just in 7mm scale) and the associated
      modelling problems; in other words, just what sorts Gn15 modellers
      from the run of the mill 16mm mob, nice as they may be.

      In fact, the biggest "problem" that I have with the 7mmNGA is that it
      covers both modellers who work to very fine scale (whatever that
      scale may be) - which tends to be where I come from - and modellers
      who bash away at anything that runs (straight out of a OO/HO
      catalogue). However I don't really find that a problem, and I
      certainly have (still have, I hope) plenty of good friends in both
      camps.

      One of the most useful features of these Yahoo groups is that they
      can easily cater for minority interests (yes - I am a member of the
      On14 group) within the broad church, whilst the NL magazine can cater
      for the wider interests but still remains of interest to most, not
      least because of its trade reviews and news (and influence).

      So I definitely favour the broad church approach - no real need for
      any renaming but perhaps the strap line might be something like "for
      those modelling narrow gauge prototypes in 7mm and similar scales".

      David Woodcock (81)
      Brighton
    • Phil Traxson
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 3, 2007
        I think you will find your final line is what the Association operates to
        already.
        Phil T.