BS Model Co

  • michael lee
    Message 1 of 10 , May 31, 2007
      I appear to have inadvertantly opened a can of worms which was not my intention. My original request 'Has anybody had any problems' was in contacting BS Model Co and for NO other reason. As David Steel said he has now responded to my e-mail. As far as I am concerned my original request has now been answered and I am happy. Thanks to all with the constructive replies.

      Regards

      Mike Lee

    • BS Models
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007
        My apologizes to the forum for my rather terse
        response to Kelvin A, White. The forum is not a place
        for this sort of thing. So I wish to thank Adrian and
        all the members of this forum for there patience and
        understanding in this matter. It shall never occur
        again. Sincerely David Steele of BS Model Co.
        --- adriangrayfr <adrian@...>

        http://sims.yahoo.com/
      • brian
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 2, 2007
          I have thought about your comments for some time Adrian - hence the delay in
          replying. Speaking as a manufacturer, (and as an elist moderator), I applaud
          your stance and wish other moderators were as quick to act. I know of one UK
          elist where the list owner called Dapol 'cowboys' and this same person has
          defamed both Bachmann and ourselves to the extent that we both took legal
          advice. (in our case this is still ongoing, so I will say no more).

          However, manufacturers have a duty to accept that emails place a burden on
          them. We now live in a world of almost instant communications and there is a
          need to respond quickly to any enquiry, even if it is just a 'holding'
          reply. Too many manufacturers - especially the smaller ones, are totally
          production orientated and do not face the marketplace. So many new people
          are entering the world of railway modelling, (confounding the doom and gloom
          merchants), and they do have questions to be answered before they purchase
          anything and expect prompt answers. Too often this side is neglected and
          manufacturers get an, (unwarranted), bad name. On the other hand, modellers
          need to understand that most suppliers are 'kitchen table' manufacturers,
          working evenings and weekends after a full time employment. Under those
          circumstances, instant replies are not an option.

          As in all things, it is just a question of balance and I hope we can all
          learn something from this.

          Regards

          Brian Lewis
          Carrs - C+L Finescale
          www.finescale.org.uk
          Tel: +44 1 275 852 027
          Fax: +44 1 275 810 555

          Writing as one of the Moderators of this list, and as Trade Liaison Officer
          for the Association I must say that messages of this sort are not
          appropriate.
          If you have PERSONAL experience of problems you may air them - but not
          otherwise.
          You leave yourself, and the Association when you use this list, vulnerable
          when you repeat hearsay. Please do NOT do so again.

          The Association distances itself, absolutely, from anything Kelvin wrote.

          Adrian Gray

          --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Kelvin A. White" <kelvin@...> wrote:

          > The 7mm Narrow Gauge AssociationMike
          > Please be aware that in the American S scale hobby Jeff Briggs who
          is one half of BS has a 'poor reputation' - talk to John Whitmore
          distributing agent for Kaslo Shops or ask the S scale community about the
          speeder projects - buyer beware is a good adage.

          > Kelvin White
          > Oxford, England
          >
          > Email: kelvin@...
          >
          > Posted by: "michael lee" mick7ng@... mick7ng
          > Wed May 30, 2007 3:19 am (PST)
          > Have e-mailed BS Model Co a couple of times, on the link below,
          about the size, price and delivery of their loco's BS1 and BS2 but have had
          no response. Has anybody else had any problems?

          > Regards
          >
          > Mike Lee

          scale or thereabouts
          2 - not restricted to members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association although
          3 - moderated by current serving members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association
          committee Yahoo! Groups Links
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 3, 2007
            --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "brian" <brian@...> wrote:

            > I have thought about your comments for some time Adrian - hence the
            delay in
            > replying. Speaking as a manufacturer, (and as an elist moderator),
            I applaud
            > your stance and wish other moderators were as quick to act. I know
            of one UK
            > elist where the list owner called Dapol 'cowboys' and this same
            person has
            > defamed both Bachmann and ourselves to the extent that we both took
            legal
            > advice. (in our case this is still ongoing, so I will say no more).
            >
            > However, manufacturers have a duty to accept that emails place a
            burden on
            > them. We now live in a world of almost instant communications and
            there is a
            > need to respond quickly to any enquiry, even if it is just
            a 'holding'
            > reply. Too many manufacturers - especially the smaller ones, are
            totally
            > production orientated and do not face the marketplace. So many new
            people
            > are entering the world of railway modelling, (confounding the doom
            and gloom
            > merchants), and they do have questions to be answered before they
            purchase
            > anything and expect prompt answers. Too often this side is
            neglected and
            > manufacturers get an, (unwarranted), bad name. On the other hand,
            modellers
            > need to understand that most suppliers are 'kitchen table'
            manufacturers,
            > working evenings and weekends after a full time employment. Under
            those
            > circumstances, instant replies are not an option.
            >
            > As in all things, it is just a question of balance and I hope we
            can all
            > learn something from this.
            >
            > Regards
            >
            > Brian Lewis

            Brian makes some very important points - which we would all do well
            to take note of.
            email appears 'instant' - sometimes you send a message and the reply
            appears almost before you can regret the missing full stop or
            question mark!
            Sometimes you send a message and a reply takes ages.

            We all know about different time zones and, usually, allow for
            those. What tends to get forgotten are the other pressures on
            people's lives.
            Some of us don't read email 24/7, some of us don;t read email every
            day, having decided there are better things to do with life (like
            real modelling!!), some of us even take holidays, or have to deal
            with family/work situations from time to time. Ssometimes emails go
            astray - I have to check my sp*m folder regularly because 'something'
            causes occasional emails from otherwise regular correspondents to be
            classified as sp*m and they get 'lost'.
            Really, it isn't reasonable to criticise a manufacturer for not
            responding to email until you have given him/her at least two chances
            AND, I suggest, at least two or three weeks.

            This is our hobby, it is meant to be for relaxation, so why do we
            allow ourselves (me included!) to get so wound up??

            :-)

            Adrian
          • mick7ng
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
              Does anybody know what has happened to BS Model Co. I have e-mailed
              them quite a few times with no luck, an have requested information from
              this web site before, May/June this year. Has thier e-mail changed?
              Does anybody know what has happened? Constructive replies only please.

              Regards Mike Lee
            • David J. Elliott
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
                David Steele has opened his own Model shop, Railhead. Here in Victoria which
                has taken much of his time. Geoff Briggs seems to have temporarily dropped
                out of sight, David is trying to contact him as Geoff has the masters.

                A group of us meet every Friday to discuss, if you cannot get hold of him
                contact me directly and I will talk to him. He has a few kits in stock.

                David Elliott

                Railhead

                David Steele, Owner

                1524 Pandora Avenue