KADEES

  • Nigel Ford
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 6, 2007
      Hello all,
      I have kadees on some of my models purchased 2nd hand. Just ordered
      more to fit on my other engines etc. and I was looking at the KADEE
      site where it advertises their magnets for uncoupling. My question is
      do I need to buy theirs or can I make my own uncouplers, and what is
      the best method?
      Nigel
    • David J. Elliott
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 6, 2007
        I suggest get 1 pair and see how they work. I have heard that they can be
        broken/cut in half and you get two for the price of one. Contact me of list
        @ theelliotts@... and will see if I can send a pair in exchange for
        future considerations though shipping might be a problem as they are
        magnetic and therefore dangerous! There should be a supplier in the UK.

        David

        Victoria Canada

        _____

        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 6, 2007
          Nigel,

          U.K. Supplier, 7mm NGA sales, as near as you local post box!

        • Nigel Ford
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 6, 2007
            Cheers! Frank - should have thought of looking there first.
            Nigel

            http://www.rabble-7mmfigures.co.uk/
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 7, 2007
              Hi Nigel
              If you haven't used them before, Kaydee magnets are
              pretty nifty. The poles are along the long sides in
              order to attract the droppers sideways. I remember at
              one show describing them as being 'clever' to someone
              I later discovered worked at the CERN particle
              accelerator! She put me right, but nicely! They know a
              thing or two about magnets.

              In the catalogue you will have discovered the
              difference in width between the standard magnets and
              the 'pre-uncouping' ones. What it probably won't tell
              you is that there are ceramic and are therefore pretty
              hard. You won't be able to just saw them in half.
              However, although I've never tried it, I don't see
              why you shouldn't be able to shorten them by cutting
              them in half and thereby getting two. I assume their
              length has been worked out in order to make them
              practical for 'spotting' wagons (cars?) while shunting
              stock on the average HO layout.
              regards
              Roy Wood
            • Brian Cameron
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 7, 2007
                One could try other magnets but the Kadee ones are designed for the
                couplers and thus the right strength. They're also not expensive and
                all types are easily available from Association sales.

                On Bodger's End space was tight and I shortened one magnet to fit. As
                it turned out I could only really shortened it to about two-thirds of
                the supplied length. Best way I found to cut them was to use a slitting
                disc on a minidrill to cut a groove and then lined the groove up with a
                piece of piano wire on the face oposite and used a sharp nock to crack
                the magnet the rest of the way. You can then tidy it up a bit with a
                file but the ballast hides most of it.

                Cheers,

                Brian Cameron
              • Nigel Ford
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 8, 2007
                  Thanks Brian & Roy.
                  I will get some at Burton
                  Nigel

                  http://www.rabble-7mmfigures.co.uk/

                • Roy Wood
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 8, 2007
                    Hi Nigel

                    > I will get some at Burton

                    You may care to see them in action on Crichel first!
                    regards
                    Roy
                  • Nigel Ford
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 9, 2007
                      Nice one. Are you at Heathcote this coming weekend?

                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 9, 2007
                        If Roy built enough layouts he could come up every time :o)

                        We need to introduce a roster system for Crichel and Cranbourne . . .
                        Failing that he'll have to come up with any other friends' layouts he cares
                        to mention!

                        Kevin

                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 12, 2007
                          Hello Nigel,

                          I believe Roy is refering to "Crichel" attending the 7mmNGA AGM event
                          at Burton on Trent Town hall on May 19th.

                          My layout "McMichael's Distillery" will be the 7mm NG representative
                          at Heathcote this weekend. It also uses the Kaydee brand of coupling,
                          but my magnets are sourced from the Squires catalogue. I use the No'5
                          on my rolling stock, but the locos are fitted with No'19 as this
                          allows me to swop coupling types with Bachmann slimline. Both types
                          locating into NEM coupler pockets. This arrangement has been chosen
                          so as to allow my locos to run on the Trent Valley local area group
                          layout "Henmore Dale", and couple to the existing stock.

                          If you, or anyone reading this, are going to Heathcote please say
                          Hello!

                          David Tillett

                          --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Nigel Ford" <nigel.ford2@...> wrote:

                          > Nice one. Are you at Heathcote this coming weekend?
                          > Nigel
                          >

                          > http://www.rabble-7mmfigures.co.uk/

                        • Nigel Ford
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 12, 2007
                            Thanks David,
                            I have just come home with a bug - but hopefully I will be there at the
                            weekend.
                            Nigel

                            http://www.rabble-7mmfigures.co.uk/
                            I believe Roy is refering to "Crichel" attending the 7mmNGA AGM event
                            at Burton on Trent Town hall on May 19th.

                            My layout "McMichael's Distillery" will be the 7mm NG representative
                            at Heathcote this weekend. It also uses the Kaydee brand of coupling,
                            but my magnets are sourced from the Squires catalogue. I use the No'5
                            on my rolling stock, but the locos are fitted with No'19 as this
                            allows me to swop coupling types with Bachmann slimline. Both types
                            locating into NEM coupler pockets. This arrangement has been chosen
                            so as to allow my locos to run on the Trent Valley local area group
                            layout "Henmore Dale", and couple to the existing stock.

                            If you, or anyone reading this, are going to Heathcote please say
                            Hello!

                            David Tillett

                            --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Nigel Ford" <nigel.ford2@...> wrote:

                            > Nice one. Are you at Heathcote this coming weekend?
                            > Nigel
                            >

                            > http://www.rabble-7mmfigures.co.uk/

                          • Roy Wood
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 13, 2007
                              Hi

                              > I believe Roy is refering to "Crichel" attending the
                              > 7mmNGA AGM event
                              > at Burton on Trent Town hall on May 19th.

                              Quite right. I just sort of assumed! I'm also at
                              Crawley this weekend Saturday and Sunday 14/15th so
                              can't make Heathcote.

                              I'm intrugued by the Squires magnets. Are they long,
                              too?
                              I use a mixture of 5s, 42s and 47s. They are all
                              similar except for ahint the heighht of the coupler
                              knuckle in-line, raised or lowered compared to the
                              main shank. I seem to have an enormous variety of
                              heights of stock floors!
                              regards
                              Roy
                            • Roy Wood
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 13, 2007
                                Hi Kevin

                                > If Roy built enough layouts he could come up every
                                > time :o)
                                >
                                > We need to introduce a roster system for Crichel and
                                > Cranbourne . . .
                                > Failing that he'll have to come up with any other
                                > friends' layouts he cares
                                > to mention!

                                I've been away in Paris (lucky me) and have only just
                                got to this message. I have plans - be warned!

                                regards
                                Roy :-)
                              • Chris Davis
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 13, 2007
                                  Talking of Kadees, I am fitting these to my 0n16.5/0n30 stock as it is
                                  built and they are working beautifully. Where I do have a problem is
                                  existing locos/stock fitted with Bachman's Kadee look-alike. Apart
                                  from minorvariations in height I find that uncoupling between Bachman
                                  couplings and between Bachman and Kadee is erratic.
                                  Has anyone had similar problems? If so, how were they solved? And if
                                  the answer is to replace the Bachman couplings with Kadees - which
                                  type and how fitted bearing in mind that the locos in particular have
                                  built in draft boxes. The specific locos with the problem are the
                                  Shay, Climax and 0-4-2 Porter. The stock is the "wood" side dump wagons.
                                  Any advice would be deeply appreciated. I expect (I think, I hope) I
                                  could solve it but would rather not re-invent the wheel !
                                  Chris
                                • Bruce Wilson
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 13, 2007
                                    At 10:26 13/04/2007, you wrote:
                                    >Talking of Kadees, I am fitting these to my 0n16.5/0n30 stock as it is
                                    >built and they are working beautifully. Where I do have a problem is
                                    >existing locos/stock fitted with Bachman's Kadee look-alike. Apart
                                    >from minorvariations in height I find that uncoupling between Bachman
                                    >couplings and between Bachman and Kadee is erratic.
                                    >Has anyone had similar problems? If so, how were they solved? And if
                                    >the answer is to replace the Bachman couplings with Kadees - which
                                    >type and how fitted bearing in mind that the locos in particular have
                                    >built in draft boxes. The specific locos with the problem are the
                                    >Shay, Climax and 0-4-2 Porter. The stock is the "wood" side dump wagons.
                                    >Any advice would be deeply appreciated. I expect (I think, I hope) I
                                    >could solve it but would rather not re-invent the wheel !
                                    >Chris

                                    Chris:

                                    Don't you love cheap knock-offs? All of my friends replace the
                                    imitations with the real thing as soon as they can to avoid the
                                    aggravation. From Kadee's web site.

                                    http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/page397.htm

                                    Bruce Wilson
                                    Barrie, Ontario, Canada
                                    Life Member NMRA Member Scale 7 Group Gauge 0 Guild
                                  • Vincent Bradley
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 13, 2007
                                      Chris,
                                      In some cases the Bachmann is the only one that will fit without major
                                      surgery. There are two types of Bachmann, make sure you are using the ones
                                      with the coil springs for the knuckle. Paint can be a real problem, I use
                                      the rust colored couplers and make sure no paint gets on them. As for
                                      height, I use the OO standard instead of HO and I don't use magnetic
                                      uncoupling. I find an uncoupling stick and the delayed option works best
                                      for my walk around layout.
                                      Take care,
                                      Vincent Bradley, 1707

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 13, 2007
                                        Hi
                                        Where I do
                                        > have a problem is
                                        > >existing locos/stock fitted with Bachman's Kadee
                                        > look-alike.

                                        The only experience I have is with the Bachmann
                                        couplings on a Porter I 'anglicised'. I changed it
                                        immediately, I'm with Bruce on this, don't bother with
                                        the cheapie substitutes, after all the Kaydees are not
                                        that expensive..

                                        regards
                                        Roy Wood
                                      • Brian Cameron
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 13, 2007
                                          I'm very much in agreement, I only have a couple of items of Bachmann
                                          stock (Porters) butI didn't find the supplied couplers worked well and
                                          replaced them. For the performance, I don't regard Kadees as expensive
                                          - reliable uncoupling is well worth it.

                                          re: Roy's commments on differing heights, I've had to use the offset
                                          couplers many times, even the Peco wagons and coaches have different
                                          height underframes! Its never much of a problem, between the offset up
                                          and down and shims it works out in the end.

                                          Cheers,

                                          Brian Cameron
                                        • Arthur Budd
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Apr 13, 2007
                                            Hi Roy

                                            Disregard my query about you coming to Wimborne; I've just read your other
                                            message about attending Crawley.

                                            Have a good show

                                            regards

                                            Arthur
                                          • Chris Davis
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Apr 13, 2007
                                              Thanks Bruce. How the heck I missed finding that myself I don't know!
                                              It must be the onset of senile decay - or just the stupidity I have
                                              always suffered from! Anyway - I know the answer now - and couldn't
                                              agree with you and Roy more re the cheap "knock-offs"!
                                              Chris
                                            • Bruce Wilson
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Apr 13, 2007
                                                At 13:27 13/04/2007, you wrote:

                                                >Thanks Bruce. How the heck I missed finding that myself I don't know!
                                                >It must be the onset of senile decay - or just the stupidity I have
                                                >always suffered from! Anyway - I know the answer now - and couldn't
                                                >agree with you and Roy more re the cheap "knock-offs"!
                                                >Chris

                                                Chris:

                                                To be honest I did not find it my first time through the KD site.. I
                                                came across with a google.

                                                -
                                                Bruce Wilson
                                                Barrie, Ontario
                                                Life Member NMRA Member Gauge 0 Guild Member Scale 7 Group

                                              • geoffloynes
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Apr 14, 2007
                                                  The plastic couplers on Bachman stock are their HO scale 'E-Z-Mate'
                                                  type. The later ones are better, as they have a proper spring to
                                                  operate the knuckle, rather than the older type where the spring was a
                                                  plastic moulding, which seems to get damaged easily, rendering the
                                                  coupling fit only for the circular filing device on the floor. They
                                                  can be replaced with #5 Kadees, but space is sometimes tight in the
                                                  coupler boxes, often helps to trim out any odd bits of flash and/or
                                                  skin the inside of the coupler box lid with a file. Having said all
                                                  that, I have a feeling Kadee have now produced a direct replacement
                                                  coupler for Bachmann ones, but can't remember the code number

                                                  Geoff Loynes