RE: [7mm NGA] New Layout Planning 2 now Bouncing e-mails

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 6, 2007
      Steve,

      What happens is that your server freeserve bounces messages coming in from
      Yahoo. Is freeserve a NTL clone, they are particularly good at it.

      The cure is to go to groups, and click on the Yahoo logo, top right. It
      should open a dialogue which allows you to open a Yahoo account. You have to
      come up with a different e-mail address, and just follow it through. Then go
      to your e-mail accounts and add this new one. Don't replace your old one.
      You still pay freeserve for your internet connection, but you also have the
      yahoo address. Make sure it works by sending an e-mail to your yahoo address
      from your freeserve address.

      Then using your freeserve address tell all the moderators your new address,
      and ask to be accepted as a 'new' member with that address. For a start you
      will get messages from both, but once you are sure it is working, you can
      unsubscribe your freeserve address from your groups.

      That's why my e-mail address for groups is robertfairlie @yahoo, but for
      'normal' e-mails I'm still using a Tesco address. I pay Tesco my broadband
      sub every month as before, yahoo account costs nothing.

      I changed about 2 years ago, not missed one since.

      Frank

      P.S. I've put this to group, as it might help others, but you will get it
      direct.

    • DLTaylor
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 8, 2007
        Hi Steve,
        I like the look of this method, presumably it weighs next-to-nothing. Is
        the foam supported in the middle at all, or just round the edges, or is it
        solid enough not to need it?
        Mind you don't set it up in a draughty exhibition hall though.....
        Cheers,
        Dave.T

        --On 06 March 2007 19:20 +0000 Stephen Holland
        <stephen@...> wrote:

        > I have just created a photo album called 'lightweight baseboard' showing
        > the details of some foam topped baseboards I have built. These are 1m
        > long x 0.6m wide. The frames are made from 6mm ply most of which I had
        > cut to 100mm wide strips and some to 150mm wide strips at the timberyard
        > where I bought it. These 100 mm strips were then cut to length at home on
        > my mitre saw and glued together with 19mm square pieces every 200mm or so
        > to ensure square corners. The 150mm strip forms the outer skin at the
        > ends, with two 100mm strips forming the outer sides. This then gives a
        > rebate to protect the edge of the foam, which was fixed to the frame
        > using No More Nails. The side strips also give a rebate to attach some
        > velcro for fixing the layout drapes to. I got my foam (make sure its the
        > extruded foam and not the expanded sort) from a place called Sheffield
        > Insulation in West Bromwich and it was £20 for an 8ft x 2 ft 50mm thick
        > sheet a couple of years ago. Don't ask about the strange imperial/metric
        > sizing! Of course, had I have given things a little more forethought, I
        > could have used the outer skins of the baseboards for scenery formers -
        > hindsight is such a precise science!
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Steve

      • Brian Fayle
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 8, 2007
          David

          I have been using foam for quite while. This is the hard stuff, pink
          or blue, insulation foam that is used in housing construction over
          here in Noth America. If you go to:
          http://www.brifayle.ca/3h.uptonwhent.html
          you will see my latest Gn15 layout. The whole thing weighs in at 10
          lbs. The foam sits on 3mm ply. This in turn sits on a 1 x 2 inch frame
          to which is attached 6mm ply fascia boards. At this size no cross
          bracing is needed. The 3mm ply enable one to firmly fix things to the
          underneath if so desired. It also stops the foam getting indented if
          the layout is rested on a box or something whilst working, displaying
          or whatever.

          My Knotts Wharf Canal and Railway Company's baseboards used this sort
          of foam on a 3mm x 3 inch ply interlocking grid with thicker ply
          edging. The biggest board was 5 x 3 foot and weighed about 28 lb if I
          remember with most of the buildings on it and the built in supports. I
          could easily handle it myself. The layout was the Railway of the Month
          in August 2006 Railway Modeller.

          The layouts seen at
          http://www.brifayle.ca/6SchombergNGShow.html
          are all on the same dense foam bases. Not all have ply edging. It is a
          great way to make baseboards for small layouts. Light and rigid.

          Whilst I am rattling on I must say that I had a wonderful time at the
          Small and Delightful Show in Shepton Mallet a couple of weeks ago. It
          was so nice to be able to put faces to many names I have come to know
          over the years. I was also flattered by the many folk who were pleased
          to put a face onto brifayle.ca. I am planning on returning next year
          when I gather there might be a special extravaganza.

          Brian
          Guelph ON

          --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, DLTaylor <DLTaylor@...> wrote:

          > Hi Steve,
          > I like the look of this method, presumably it weighs
          next-to-nothing. Is
          > the foam supported in the middle at all, or just round the edges, or
          is it
          > solid enough not to need it?
          > Mind you don't set it up in a draughty exhibition hall though.....
          > Cheers,
          > Dave.T
        • Stephen Holland
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 8, 2007
            Dave,

            On these small (1m x 0.6m) boards, the 50mm thick foam does not seem to need any support. It would be easy to add a cross member at a later date should this prove necessary. When the time comes to add point motors etc to the underside I was thinking these could be attached to pieces of ply glued to the foam with No More Nails adhesive. I forgot to say this was what I used to fix the foam to the framework in my original posting. The finished boards are extremely rigid and light, so can be picked up with one little finger hooked under one edge. Of course when the 56 pounds of plaster is added for the scenery......... :-)

            <stephen@...> wrote:

            > I have just created a photo album called 'lightweight baseboard' showing
            > the details of some foam topped baseboards I have built. These are 1m
            > long x 0.6m wide. The frames are made from 6mm ply most of which I had
            > cut to 100mm wide strips and some to 150mm wide strips at the timberyard
            > where I bought it. These 100 mm strips were then cut to length at home on
            > my mitre saw and glued together with 19mm square pieces every 200mm or so
            > to ensure square corners. The 150mm strip forms the outer skin at the
            > ends, with two 100mm strips forming the outer sides. This then gives a
            > rebate to protect the edge of the foam, which was fixed to the frame
            > using No More Nails. The side strips also give a rebate to attach some
            > velcro for fixing the layout drapes to. I got my foam (make sure its the
            > extruded foam and not the expanded sort) from a place called Sheffield
            > Insulation in West Bromwich and it was £20 for an 8ft x 2 ft 50mm thick
            > sheet a couple of years ago. Don't ask about the strange imperial/metric
            > sizing! Of course, had I have given things a little more forethought, I
            > could have used the outer skins of the baseboards for scenery formers -
            > hindsight is such a precise science!
            >
            > Regards
            >
            > Steve

          • DLTaylor
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 12, 2007
              Steve,
              This is very interesting, as my layout has worked out far heavier than it
              was ever intended to be, and I need a new approach.
              Do you lay the track directly on the foam, or add subsidiary base? And how
              do you seal the surface, coat of emulsion? I guess you have to keep
              solvents away from the foam, I still like the good old-fashioned Evo-Stick
              impact adhesive.
              Cheers,
              Dave.T

              --On 08 March 2007 19:34 +0000 Stephen Holland

            • Brian Fayle
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 12, 2007
                David,

                If you go to:

                http://www.brifayle.ca/3gbuildredfox.html

                you can see just how I laid the track for my Gn15 Red Fox Amusement
                Park. It goes straight on to the foam.

                Whilst you are on the site go and look at Upton Whent. This is also
                built on a piece of foam and weighs in at 10 lbs with structures.

                Brian

                On Mar 12, 2007, at 6:11 AM, DLTaylor wrote:

                > Steve,
                > This is very interesting, as my layout has worked out far heavier
                > than it
                > was ever intended to be, and I need a new approach.
                > Do you lay the track directly on the foam, or add subsidiary base?
                > And how
                > do you seal the surface, coat of emulsion? I guess you have to keep
                > solvents away from the foam, I still like the good old-fashioned
                > Evo-Stick
                > impact adhesive.
                > Cheers,
                > Dave.T
                >
                > --On 08 March 2007 19:34 +0000 Stephen Holland

              • Stephen Holland
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 12, 2007
                  Dave,

                  I have to confess the boards have been "maturing" in the garage for a while until I can decide what to put on top of them. It will be something in 14mm gauge, or On30 or (hides behind sofa for mentioning it on this group) 16mm scale.
                  The track can be laid directly on to the foam, or a cork roadbed could be used. I have seen a double sided tape advertised in some American magazines for fixing track, and some articles have mentioned using a bead of No More Nails. The basic ground colour can be added with a latex water based paint. Do not get solvents near the foam as you will find that it gets eaten! Model Railroader often has articles on using extruded foam for baseboards; there was a series last year on making a small On3 layout that you may find useful, but I cannot recall which issues it was in. The Model Railroader Website has details of an HO scale 'Layout in a Week' using foam at http://www.trains.com/mrr/default.aspx?c=a&id=869 although like all American basaeboards it seems to be built on London and North Western Railway principles (if one man can lift it, it ain't strong enough!). It seems to be a bit of a contradiction using lightweight foam on a framework that could support a battleship.
                  There do not seem to be any great differences in scenery techniques, but you do have to remember to use water based products.
                  Hope this is of some use.

                  Regards

                  Steve

                  This is very interesting, as my layout has worked out far heavier than it
                  was ever intended to be, and I need a new approach.
                  Do you lay the track directly on the foam, or add subsidiary base? And how
                  do you seal the surface, coat of emulsion? I guess you have to keep
                  solvents away from the foam, I still like the good old-fashioned Evo-Stick
                  impact adhesive.
                  Cheers,
                  Dave.T

                  Recent Activity
                  a.. 1New Members
                  b.. 3New Photos
                  Visit Your Group
                  a.. silverton narrow gauge railroad
                  b.. Narrow gauge inn
                  c.. Narrow gauge
                  Live in Style
                  Want to be Martha?

                  Tell us why and

                  be a winner!

                  Yahoo! News
                  Kevin Sites

                  Get coverage of

                  world crises.

                  Yahoo! TV
                  Staying in tonight?

                  Check Daily Picks &

                  see what to watch.
                  .

                • Vincent Bradley
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 13, 2007
                    In the past I have used Upson board for the roadbed. It was glued down onto
                    the foam with a Liquid Nails acrylic product. More recently I glued
                    directly onto the dense foam using Liquid Nails. One thing to consider is
                    the noise factor. A paper or cork product will dampen the noise much better
                    than the foam. This may not be a factor in an exhibition hall but at home
                    it is very noticeable.
                    Take care,
                    Vincent Bradley, 1707

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 13, 2007
                      You could add a shell of papier mache over the foam.
                      This would add a harder, smoother surface layer. It
                      works well enough, I think the last time I did it I
                      was laying down pieces of kitchen roll and liberally
                      painting them with diluted PVA glue though newspaper
                      would probably work it is not as absorbent. In either
                      case this is very, very messy and can take a long time
                      to dry – something to do in the summer when you can
                      set it at the front of the garage to dry.

                      There are lots of ways to cover foam and I do not know
                      which one is best.

                      Michael

                      - Richelieu

                      All New Yahoo! Mail – Tired of unwanted email come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html