Computer printed Decals/transfers

  • Brian Lunn
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hi everybody

      I am interested in producing transfers for my railway and would like to know
      if anybody has used any of the products that allow you to print your own
      transfers on an inkjet printer?

      How good are the results?

      How opaque are white transfers? (I am mainly interested in white transfers
      to go on a black background).

      Any help, comments, recommendations or alternatives would be much
      appreciated.

      Many thanks

      Brian Lunn

    • Alastair Inskip
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
        Brian,

        I've not tried the products you mention, but I have looked into it.
        What I've seen suggests that white transfers are a bit of a problem
        unless you have an ALPS printer. A standard inkjet or laser printer
        just doesn't do white ink. The only way around is to do a white
        background and print the black as a "window" for the white to come through.

        Alastair

        PS

        Could be fun going into PC W*rld and asking for a white ink cartridge.. .

        > Hi everybody
        >
        > I am interested in producing transfers for my railway and would like
        > to know
        > if anybody has used any of the products that allow you to print your own
        > transfers on an inkjet printer?
        >
        > How good are the results?
        >
        > How opaque are white transfers? (I am mainly interested in white transfers
        > to go on a black background).
        >
        > Any help, comments, recommendations or alternatives would be much
        > appreciated.
        >
        > Many thanks
        >
        > Brian Lunn

      • Paul Martin
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
          Brian,

          Alastair pretty well covers it. Domestic inkjet or laser printers cant do
          white and are unlikely to ever, “there’s no demand for it sir!” The
          available products you describe are either white or clear for you to print
          colours on to.

          The ALPS printer [or the OKI DP5000) used a different sort of technology.
          The inks are more like an old typewriter ribbon and there is one for each
          colour. The other clever bit with these printers is extremely accurate
          control of the paper movement as they print one colour and then go back and
          print the next so there has to be excellent registration. Neither the ALPS
          or OKI printer are available these days [I have one of the OKI ones] but
          they both used common technology no longer available although you can still
          get the inks. Basically, other technologies overtook it and there aren’t
          enough modellers wanting white to justify it.

          What I can suggest is that if you are wanting single colour transfers e.g.
          white on a clear background you could do the artwork in word, or the like
          and e-mail it to me, I can get a sheet done for a reasonable price as there
          is someone I can send it to get a single A4 or A3 sheet printed – that’s a
          lot of lettering!

          If you want the proper fonts have a look at www.railfonts.com

          Railroads built down to a budget would probably use railroad roman as this
          was a mandated minimum standard.

          Paul Martin
          EDM Models

          I've not tried the products you mention, but I have looked into it.
          What I've seen suggests that white transfers are a bit of a problem
          unless you have an ALPS printer. A standard inkjet or laser printer
          just doesn't do white ink. The only way around is to do a white
          background and print the black as a "window" for the white to come through.

          Alastair

          PS

          Could be fun going into PC W*rld and asking for a white ink cartridge.. .

          > Hi everybody
          >
          > I am interested in producing transfers for my railway and would like
          > to know
          > if anybody has used any of the products that allow you to print your own
          > transfers on an inkjet printer?
          >
          > How good are the results?
          >
          > How opaque are white transfers? (I am mainly interested in white transfers
          > to go on a black background).
          >
          > Any help, comments, recommendations or alternatives would be much
          > appreciated.
          >
          > Many thanks
          >
          > Brian Lunn

        • Alastair Inskip
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
            If there were several people each wanting a 1/4 or 1/8 sheet (A4 is a
            lot of text), I'm sure it would be possible to use this group to
            "broker" these onto a single sheet to be cut up and distributed. Paul,
            do you have an idea as to what a "reasonable" price for a single sheet
            might be?

            Alastair

            > Brian,
            >
            > Alastair pretty well covers it. Domestic inkjet or laser printers cant do
            > white and are unlikely to ever, “there’s no demand for it sir!” The
            > available products you describe are either white or clear for you to print
            > colours on to.
            >
            > The ALPS printer [or the OKI DP5000) used a different sort of technology.
            > The inks are more like an old typewriter ribbon and there is one for each
            > colour. The other clever bit with these printers is extremely accurate
            > control of the paper movement as they print one colour and then go
            > back and
            > print the next so there has to be excellent registration. Neither the ALPS
            > or OKI printer are available these days [I have one of the OKI ones] but
            > they both used common technology no longer available although you can
            > still
            > get the inks. Basically, other technologies overtook it and there aren’t
            > enough modellers wanting white to justify it.
            >
            > What I can suggest is that if you are wanting single colour transfers e.g.
            > white on a clear background you could do the artwork in word, or the like
            > and e-mail it to me, I can get a sheet done for a reasonable price as
            > there
            > is someone I can send it to get a single A4 or A3 sheet printed – that’s a
            > lot of lettering!
            >
            > If you want the proper fonts have a look at www.railfonts.com
            >
            > Railroads built down to a budget would probably use railroad roman as this
            > was a mandated minimum standard.
            >
            > Paul Martin
            > EDM Models

          • PAT JANES
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
              twimc

              When I was in HO and had lots of white lettering to do I used to use sets of decals made by Rail Graphics in the USA. My current test loco is an old Athearn F7 done about 15 years ago and the decals are still as good as new despite frequent handling.

              I would suggest looking at www.railgraphicsdecals.com
              and bearing in mind that the pricing is in dollars. Plastic taken.

              Pat Janes

            • PAT JANES
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
                Plenty of fonts,too
                My last post seems to have included an unwanted space in the URL which should have read

                www.railgraphicsdecals.com

                If microsoft insists on putting a space in the name - ignore it!

                Pat Janes
                2286

              • Brian Lunn
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 2, 2007
                  Thanks everybody for your input.

                  It is possible that I could use up half an A4 sheet for my task in hand, I
                  will have a think and see if I can fill up a full sheet.

                  Paul do you have a ballpark figure for the cost of producing one A4 sheet?
                  That will tell me if it is still an option. Can you either reply to the list
                  or direct to me if you prefer.

                  Many thanks

                  Brian Lunn