Re: [7mmnga] Ballasting

  • trev
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 10, 2002
      I'm Surprised nobody else notice the fact that the ballast goes darker.
      This is because as supplied it as a generous coat of Granite dust. as soon
      as you wet the ballast the dust is washed of and it take up a darker shade.
      Unless you are able to find a ballast that is too light to start with. I'm
      afraid you have to live with it.

      ---
      -- --
      Trev
      Bradford
      West Riding of Yorkshire

    • D Smith
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 10, 2002
        HI, Thought on ballasting. Purchase one or more lighter shades or colors of
        ballast.
        Make several ballast mixes incorporating the lighter shades or colors. Try
        adhering them with your glue technique of choice and pick the finished
        product which you prefer. I heartily endorse the use of matte medium for an
        adhesive- have used it for several years. Thanks to whomever for the
        suggestion about WSW fluid. Regards, Don Smith

        trev wrote:

        > I'm Surprised nobody else notice the fact that the ballast goes darker.
        > This is because as supplied it as a generous coat of Granite dust. as soon
        > as you wet the ballast the dust is washed of and it take up a darker shade.
        > Unless you are able to find a ballast that is too light to start with. I'm
        > afraid you have to live with it.
        >
        > ---
        > -- --
        > Trev
        > Bradford
        > West Riding of Yorkshire

      • David Leslie Taylor
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 11, 2002
          I too have suffered from this problem, the stuff
          sold as granite ballast takes on a dark and slightly blue
          tint after gluing. As well as washing the dust off, the
          glue encases the ballast, effectively varnishing it! I once
          came across a packet of ballast that turned distinctly
          green after gluing. I've certainly never had white
          deposits from PVA. I like the idea of matte medium, will
          give it a try.

          In the past I used the normal grey ballast (Slaters
          4mm scale granite) and after applying the glue I sprinkled
          the whole lot with fine flock, mostly light grey, with
          various shades of brown as well. This helped to disguise
          the lumpy look of the ballast, and gave the appearance of a
          railway that has been there for a while, taking away the
          brand new look of fresh ballast. Unlike the ballast, the
          flock maintains its colour, probably because it doesn't soak
          into the glue, but sits on top of it. Gordon Gravett used
          a similar technique on Llandydref, but he sprinkled it all
          with finely ground white pepper!

          On the current layout I have got round the problem
          by not using grey ballast at all. I now use Greenscene N
          gauge ballast, they do a grey one that has a distinct
          brownish tint (So doesn't turn blue) mixed with a
          pale beige one, plus a bit of grey flock and some sawdust.
          I still add the sprinkled flock after gluing. It could be
          argued that the resulting colour is too far on the brown
          side of grey, but that's better than being on the blue side.

          A weathering technique used by a friend of mine, is
          to give a gentle waft from a spray can of grey primer, held
          at a distance. If its far enough away, only a light
          dusting of paint settles on the desired area. This has the
          effect of toning down areas that are too bright, or
          lightening areas that are too dark.

          It all depend on what you want to represent. If
          you are modelling the modern Welsh Highland, you need the
          brand new, "squeaky clean" look of plain granite ballast.
          For the Isle of Man you don't actually need ballast at all,
          just the rail heads visible in the earth and gravel, Whilst
          for the old Talyllyn, you would just bury the track in mud
          grass and weeds.

          Regards
          Dave.T

          On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 15:53:34 -0400 D Smith <rgsfan@...>
          wrote:

          > HI, Thought on ballasting. Purchase one or more lighter shades or colors of
          > ballast.
          > Make several ballast mixes incorporating the lighter shades or colors. Try
          > adhering them with your glue technique of choice and pick the finished
          > product which you prefer. I heartily endorse the use of matte medium for an
          > adhesive- have used it for several years. Thanks to whomever for the
          > suggestion about WSW fluid. Regards, Don Smith
          >
          > trev wrote:
          >
          > > I'm Surprised nobody else notice the fact that the ballast goes darker.
          > > This is because as supplied it as a generous coat of Granite dust. as soon
          > > as you wet the ballast the dust is washed of and it take up a darker shade.
          > > Unless you are able to find a ballast that is too light to start with. I'm
          > > afraid you have to live with it.
          > >
          > > ---
          > > -- --
          > > Trev
          > > Bradford
          > > West Riding of Yorkshire

          ----------------------
          David Leslie Taylor
          University of Exeter
        • SevenMilMarket@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 11, 2002
            In a message dated Wed, 10 Jul 2002 2:53:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, rgsfan@... writes:

            I heartily endorse the use of matte medium for an
            > adhesive- have used it for several years.

            Hey...,
            Matte medium works very well,
            but the quantities available
            are more for small use.

            The same "type" of medium
            is available through home painting outlets
            used to thin latex paints
            in the production of glazes.

            I've used this for some time, now.

            It holds well...,
            yet allows removal
            with relatively little effort.

            Zoë
          • brifayle
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 11, 2002
              Hey Zoë,

              I had forgotten you also visited this neck of the woods!

              What name does the stuff you mention go under? Odds are it is the same
              here in Canada, across the border from you, but goodness only knows
              what it would be way further East across the salty water!

              Brian Fayle
              --- In 7mmnga@y..., SevenMilMarket@A... wrote:
              > The same "type" of medium
              > is available through home painting outlets
              > used to thin latex paints
              > in the production of glazes.
              >
              > I've used this for some time, now.
              >
              > It holds well...,
              > yet allows removal
              > with relatively little effort.
              >
              > Zoë
            • nz24jc
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 25, 2002
                Hi Group ....just joined ..must have a say :-)
                Salvaging track laid with PVA .... just soak it in the bath for
                awhile, or sink if in shorter lengths ....regular PVA will soften and
                dissolve off. Not sure about the newer polyalphatic type which is
                supposed to be waterproof, up to a point [not a switch ... sorry :-)]

                --- In 7mmnga@y..., <brifayle@s...> wrote:
                > Jerry et al,
                >
                > I have been using Acrylic mattte medium diluted with windshield
                washer fluid! About 1 part medium to 2 fluid. On my ballast, which is
                sifted gravel from the edge of the road outside the house, the
                ballast doesn't change colour that I have noteiced. The advantage of
                matte medium is that it does not set solid. If you want to remove the
                track later it will come off the sleepers pretty easily. Also,
                supposedly, because it does not set solid sound it has a dampenening
                effect on track noise. Arches track ballast is all set this way and
                it has survived a lot of journeys in all sorts of tempeeratures
                without any problem.

                > Brian Fayle
                >

                > > Message: 3
                > > Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 13:12:51 -0000
                > > From: "weltojer" <jerry@w...>
                > > Subject: Ballasting
                > >
                > > I am just starting to lay ballast on my current layout, and I was
                > > wondering if anyone can recommend a glue/adhesive mix that does
                not
                > > make the ballast go darker. I have used the dilute pva/water
                method
                > > in the past, but never been able to retain the starting colour of
                the
                > > ballas, unless the ballast was painted afterwards!
                > >
                > > Any advice or hints would be appreciated.
                > >
                > > Jerry Welton
              • nz24jc
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 25, 2002
                  Moral of the story ... wash and dry your ballast to find out what
                  colour it really is.