Re: [7mmnga] Re: Ballasting

  • Dave Balcombe
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 10, 2002
      <<I have no experience with evo-stick PVA.  Unless somebody else chimes
      in with something useful, I would see whether you can buy another
      brand of PVA>>

      Jerry,
       I find a more diluted mix of 70/30 water/PVA works well and does not coat the ballast with starch.

      I also use a fairly inexpensive PVA called 'Ocaldo' which comes in a large bt for about £3. I get mine from the 4D modelshop but it is fairly common in craft shops. I've also used the cheapo from the Early Learning Centre with no probs.

      Regards

      Dave Balcombe UK

      Website updated 1st of every Month

      http://www.teetering.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

      Outgoing Emails are automatically checked for viruses

    • trev
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 10, 2002
        I'm Surprised nobody else notice the fact that the ballast goes darker.
        This is because as supplied it as a generous coat of Granite dust. as soon
        as you wet the ballast the dust is washed of and it take up a darker shade.
        Unless you are able to find a ballast that is too light to start with. I'm
        afraid you have to live with it.

        ---
        -- --
        Trev
        Bradford
        West Riding of Yorkshire

      • D Smith
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 10, 2002
          HI, Thought on ballasting. Purchase one or more lighter shades or colors of
          ballast.
          Make several ballast mixes incorporating the lighter shades or colors. Try
          adhering them with your glue technique of choice and pick the finished
          product which you prefer. I heartily endorse the use of matte medium for an
          adhesive- have used it for several years. Thanks to whomever for the
          suggestion about WSW fluid. Regards, Don Smith

          trev wrote:

          > I'm Surprised nobody else notice the fact that the ballast goes darker.
          > This is because as supplied it as a generous coat of Granite dust. as soon
          > as you wet the ballast the dust is washed of and it take up a darker shade.
          > Unless you are able to find a ballast that is too light to start with. I'm
          > afraid you have to live with it.
          >
          > ---
          > -- --
          > Trev
          > Bradford
          > West Riding of Yorkshire

        • David Leslie Taylor
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 11, 2002
            I too have suffered from this problem, the stuff
            sold as granite ballast takes on a dark and slightly blue
            tint after gluing. As well as washing the dust off, the
            glue encases the ballast, effectively varnishing it! I once
            came across a packet of ballast that turned distinctly
            green after gluing. I've certainly never had white
            deposits from PVA. I like the idea of matte medium, will
            give it a try.

            In the past I used the normal grey ballast (Slaters
            4mm scale granite) and after applying the glue I sprinkled
            the whole lot with fine flock, mostly light grey, with
            various shades of brown as well. This helped to disguise
            the lumpy look of the ballast, and gave the appearance of a
            railway that has been there for a while, taking away the
            brand new look of fresh ballast. Unlike the ballast, the
            flock maintains its colour, probably because it doesn't soak
            into the glue, but sits on top of it. Gordon Gravett used
            a similar technique on Llandydref, but he sprinkled it all
            with finely ground white pepper!

            On the current layout I have got round the problem
            by not using grey ballast at all. I now use Greenscene N
            gauge ballast, they do a grey one that has a distinct
            brownish tint (So doesn't turn blue) mixed with a
            pale beige one, plus a bit of grey flock and some sawdust.
            I still add the sprinkled flock after gluing. It could be
            argued that the resulting colour is too far on the brown
            side of grey, but that's better than being on the blue side.

            A weathering technique used by a friend of mine, is
            to give a gentle waft from a spray can of grey primer, held
            at a distance. If its far enough away, only a light
            dusting of paint settles on the desired area. This has the
            effect of toning down areas that are too bright, or
            lightening areas that are too dark.

            It all depend on what you want to represent. If
            you are modelling the modern Welsh Highland, you need the
            brand new, "squeaky clean" look of plain granite ballast.
            For the Isle of Man you don't actually need ballast at all,
            just the rail heads visible in the earth and gravel, Whilst
            for the old Talyllyn, you would just bury the track in mud
            grass and weeds.

            Regards
            Dave.T

            On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 15:53:34 -0400 D Smith <rgsfan@...>
            wrote:

            > HI, Thought on ballasting. Purchase one or more lighter shades or colors of
            > ballast.
            > Make several ballast mixes incorporating the lighter shades or colors. Try
            > adhering them with your glue technique of choice and pick the finished
            > product which you prefer. I heartily endorse the use of matte medium for an
            > adhesive- have used it for several years. Thanks to whomever for the
            > suggestion about WSW fluid. Regards, Don Smith
            >
            > trev wrote:
            >
            > > I'm Surprised nobody else notice the fact that the ballast goes darker.
            > > This is because as supplied it as a generous coat of Granite dust. as soon
            > > as you wet the ballast the dust is washed of and it take up a darker shade.
            > > Unless you are able to find a ballast that is too light to start with. I'm
            > > afraid you have to live with it.
            > >
            > > ---
            > > -- --
            > > Trev
            > > Bradford
            > > West Riding of Yorkshire

            ----------------------
            David Leslie Taylor
            University of Exeter
          • SevenMilMarket@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 11, 2002
              In a message dated Wed, 10 Jul 2002 2:53:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, rgsfan@... writes:

              I heartily endorse the use of matte medium for an
              > adhesive- have used it for several years.

              Hey...,
              Matte medium works very well,
              but the quantities available
              are more for small use.

              The same "type" of medium
              is available through home painting outlets
              used to thin latex paints
              in the production of glazes.

              I've used this for some time, now.

              It holds well...,
              yet allows removal
              with relatively little effort.

              Zoë
            • brifayle
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 11, 2002
                Hey Zoë,

                I had forgotten you also visited this neck of the woods!

                What name does the stuff you mention go under? Odds are it is the same
                here in Canada, across the border from you, but goodness only knows
                what it would be way further East across the salty water!

                Brian Fayle
                --- In 7mmnga@y..., SevenMilMarket@A... wrote:
                > The same "type" of medium
                > is available through home painting outlets
                > used to thin latex paints
                > in the production of glazes.
                >
                > I've used this for some time, now.
                >
                > It holds well...,
                > yet allows removal
                > with relatively little effort.
                >
                > Zoë
              • nz24jc
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 25, 2002
                  Hi Group ....just joined ..must have a say :-)
                  Salvaging track laid with PVA .... just soak it in the bath for
                  awhile, or sink if in shorter lengths ....regular PVA will soften and
                  dissolve off. Not sure about the newer polyalphatic type which is
                  supposed to be waterproof, up to a point [not a switch ... sorry :-)]

                  --- In 7mmnga@y..., <brifayle@s...> wrote:
                  > Jerry et al,
                  >
                  > I have been using Acrylic mattte medium diluted with windshield
                  washer fluid! About 1 part medium to 2 fluid. On my ballast, which is
                  sifted gravel from the edge of the road outside the house, the
                  ballast doesn't change colour that I have noteiced. The advantage of
                  matte medium is that it does not set solid. If you want to remove the
                  track later it will come off the sleepers pretty easily. Also,
                  supposedly, because it does not set solid sound it has a dampenening
                  effect on track noise. Arches track ballast is all set this way and
                  it has survived a lot of journeys in all sorts of tempeeratures
                  without any problem.

                  > Brian Fayle
                  >

                  > > Message: 3
                  > > Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 13:12:51 -0000
                  > > From: "weltojer" <jerry@w...>
                  > > Subject: Ballasting
                  > >
                  > > I am just starting to lay ballast on my current layout, and I was
                  > > wondering if anyone can recommend a glue/adhesive mix that does
                  not
                  > > make the ballast go darker. I have used the dilute pva/water
                  method
                  > > in the past, but never been able to retain the starting colour of
                  the
                  > > ballas, unless the ballast was painted afterwards!
                  > >
                  > > Any advice or hints would be appreciated.
                  > >
                  > > Jerry Welton
                • nz24jc
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 25, 2002
                    Moral of the story ... wash and dry your ballast to find out what
                    colour it really is.