Re: [7mm NGA] Woodlands Scenics Ballast - was Painting rails/sleepers

  • John Mudd
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 12, 2006
      To be truthful, I have never found it to float on any mixture so long as it has adequate wetting agent (wash liquid) added; nor have I found it to expand. Some glues might though. e.g.. Cynoacrylate !! and Polystyrene when it is rewetted.
      John
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 12, 2006
        I am not sure of the process used by others but I find spraying with wet
        water first using a fine mist then adding the glue/latex paint/water mixture
        with an eyedropper between the ties works well for me. Also, I don't use a
        track rubber to remove the paint from the rails. I wipe it off as I go and
        use business cards to polish the residue. I think the track rubber promotes
        scratches and hence dirt buildup.
        Vincent Bradley, Cincinnati

        <adrian@...> wrote:

        >Beware of Woodland Scencs and Greenscene ballast made from ground
        >nutshells and the like.
        >You lay it carefully and then, when you add the wet glue, the shells
        >all expand, like indoor firework volcanoes of old, and your ballast has
        >risen above the sleepers, sometimes even rails, and looks awful!!

        John Dennis jdennis@...
        Melbourne,Australia Home of the HOn30 Dutton Bay Tramway
        and the Australian Narrow Gauge Web-Exhibition Gallery
        Dutton Bay URL: http://members.optusnet.com.au/duttonbay
        WebX http://members.optusnet.com.au/jdennis/ng_webex.html

        scale or thereabouts
        2 - not restricted to members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association although
        3 - moderated by current serving members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association
        committee
        Yahoo! Groups Links