Telephone boxes

  • Dave Balcombe
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2002
      Has anyone bought the Langley Models 1/43 telephone box? Is it anywhere near as good as the picture on their site?

      Or has anyone found a better one. What I don't want is a solid lump of white metal, preferably etched brass sides.

      Regards

      Dave Balcombe UK

      Website updated 1st of every Month

      http://www.teetering.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

    • martincoombsuk
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2002
        Dave
        I have built one of these, very nice quality if a bit fiddly, you
        even get a choice of phones to fit.
        One tip is to score the half etch fold lines until almost through to
        give an easier crisper fold.
        Mine is part built at the moment, if it helps I can post up a picture.

        regards

        Martin Coombs

        --- In 7mmnga@y..., "Dave Balcombe" <oldgoat@b...> wrote:
        > Has anyone bought the Langley Models 1/43 telephone box? Is it
        anywhere near as good as the picture on their site?

        > Or has anyone found a better one. What I don't want is a solid lump
        of white metal, preferably etched brass sides.

        > Regards
        >
        > Dave Balcombe UK
        >
        > Website updated 1st of every Month
        >
        > http://www.teetering.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
      • David Leslie Taylor
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 8, 2002
          Dear Dave,
          I built one of these some years ago. There are two
          varieties, the 1920s concrete version, and the 1930s cast
          iron one, that we are all familiar with. Mine was the
          earlier one.
          The main body sides are a fold up etch, with
          whitemetal base, roof, and interior. I used bending bars
          for the etch. If I remember rightly, the window frames are
          a separate etch needing soldering on, and the roof needed a
          fair bit of filing. A nice kit, recommended.
          There are photos of mine in the Railway Modeller
          for February 1998, if you have access to it.
          Dave.T

          On Fri, 5 Jul 2002 08:47:35 +0100 Dave Balcombe
          <oldgoat@...> wrote:

          > Has anyone bought the Langley Models 1/43 telephone box? Is it anywhere near as good as the picture on their site?
          >
          > Or has anyone found a better one. What I don't want is a solid lump of white metal, preferably etched brass sides.
          >
          > Regards
          >
          > Dave Balcombe UK
          >
          > Website updated 1st of every Month
          >
          > http://www.teetering.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk