RE: [7mm NGA] Bachmann - Midwest Quarry & Mining Co

    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 16, 2006
      Dave,

      Are you (yet) a member on the On30 Conspiracy?
      On30conspiracy@yahoogroups.com Try asking there, or alternatively, though
      much more of a general site, there is http://www.bachmanntrains.com/, select
      the American flag, and go to 'Ask the Bachmann'

    • Nicholas Burman
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 16, 2006
        Dave, the MQ&M is a Bachmann concoction.

        Cheers Nicholas

      • Weigel5@aol.com
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 16, 2006
          In a message dated 10/16/2006 6:56:15 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          dave@... writes:

          Hiya,

          I have aquired some Bachmann 0n30 loco's a '2-Truck Shay', a '28 ton 2-Truck
          Class B Climax' and a '0-4-2 Porter'.

          The are all from the "Midwest Quarry & Mining Co".

          I cannot find any information on this company, Does anyone know know what it
          carried and where it was located. (I assume that it was around in the early
          1900's) if not can anyone point me in the right direction, and advise where
          i can look, and/or any recommended books/articles.

          or is it (as 1 person has told me) totally made up - the company does not
          (and never did) exist.

          (Bachmann UK said it did exist and told me to contach their US office for
          further information but they are not answering my emails)

          Many Thanks

          Dave

          Dave,
          To the best of my knowledge the name is made up. It is a quite plausible
          name however and opens up the possibility of developing a "model" of this
          fictitious railroad that goes exactly where you want it to go and does exactly
          what you want it to do. Then the "model" becomes the prototype. Good luck with
          your efforts,
          Cheers,
          John Weigel
          The Peterboro Railroad
          Phoenix, Maryland USA

        • PAT JANES
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 17, 2006
            Frank

            Doubt if I will have more than one passenger train and that will be fixed at three or four vehicles. So your suggestion had occurred to me but my home-made plugs and sockets in the past have been arranged to connect decoders within motive power. The smallest connectors I have made so far have been four-wire but I suppose a two-wire would be possible - or perhaps a 'four-wire' with only two pins.

            My next gambit is to run one of those track cleaning affairs if I can work up the energy but I do concede that I should be able to concoct some decent pickups.

            Thanks

            Pat
            2286

          • DLTaylor
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 17, 2006
              Is it the wheel-pickup contact that is poor, or the wheel-track? Or a bit
              of both? Maybe some extra weight in the carriages would help. If your
              loco running is ok, then your track is clean enough.
              Dave.

              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 17, 2006
                Pat,

                I don't know which connectors you usually use, I'm guessing at the 0.1 inch
                pitch, the cream ones. Go to www.maplin.co.uk <http://www.maplin.co.uk/>
                and do a search for jumpers. This gives you the very small connectors used
                for choosing options on a PCB, and for connections onto a PC board. If you
                are careful, they can be used as connectors, you will need to shrink sleeve
                the wiring. They are quite a bit smaller.

              • PAT JANES
                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 17, 2006
                  Frank

                  OK. I'm afraid that I do not bother with Maplin nowadays - once bitten twice shy or something.
                  My favourite source is Farnell and I am getting some stuff from Rapid occasionally.
                  My patent plugs/sockets are made from Harwin components which are indeed on a 2.54mm pitch. No heatshrink is necessary.I will not bother you with the method since I have described it once or twice before - only to be met with a deafening silence.

                  Pat
                  2286

                • PAT JANES
                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 17, 2006
                    Dave

                    You are right in that these things could do with a little more weight.
                    I speculate, though, that a problem is that the current path is from the wheel via an alleged pinpoint axle to a metal sideframe.
                    As another Dave has pointed out someone 'over there' is offering pickups which would hardly be worth his while if there was no problem.

                    Pat
                    2286

                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 17, 2006
                      Pat,

                      I only mention Maplin because there is one nearish to most people. I use
                      Farnells, but they are easy for me to visit, the trade counter team are
                      first class and the coffee is FREE!

                      Frank..probably one of the deafeningly silent.sorry

                    • geoffloynes
                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 17, 2006
                        I suspect that MQ&M, along with 'Colorado Mining Co' and some of the
                        other names used are indeed fictional. I wonder if this may be to
                        avoid using those real railroad names which are 'fallen flags' (i.e.
                        absorbed/taken-over roads) of CSX or Union Pacific, both of which
                        seem to be introducing new licensing agreements (with premiums and
                        tough conditions) for the model trade. See editorials in recent
                        issues of 'Mainline Modeller'magazine for more on the saga. Must be
                        unusual where businesses that are effectively advertising another
                        business are paying those businesses, rather than the other way
                        around!

                        Geoff (2149)

                        --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Priestley" <dave@...> wrote:
                        > The are all from the "Midwest Quarry & Mining Co".
                        >
                        > I cannot find any information on this company, Does anyone know know
                        what it
                        > carried and where it was located. (I assume that it was around in
                        the early
                        > 1900's) if not can anyone point me in the right direction, and
                        advise where
                        > i can look, and/or any recommended books/articles.
                        >
                        > or is it (as 1 person has told me) totally made up - the company
                        does not
                        > (and never did) exist.
                      • Vincent Bradley
                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 17, 2006
                          I would suggest that it is a generic name which fits the theme. We have a
                          series of Midwestern quarries and mining companies around here.
                          Vincent 1707

                          I suspect that MQ&M, along with 'Colorado Mining Co' and some of the
                          other names used are indeed fictional. I wonder if this may be to
                          avoid using those real railroad names which are 'fallen flags' (i.e.
                          absorbed/taken-over roads) of CSX or Union Pacific, both of which
                          seem to be introducing new licensing agreements (with premiums and
                          tough conditions) for the model trade. See editorials in recent
                          issues of 'Mainline Modeller'magazine for more on the saga. Must be
                          unusual where businesses that are effectively advertising another
                          business are paying those businesses, rather than the other way
                          around!

                          Geoff (2149)

                          --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Priestley" <dave@...> wrote:
                          > The are all from the "Midwest Quarry & Mining Co".
                          >
                          > I cannot find any information on this company, Does anyone know know
                          what it
                          > carried and where it was located. (I assume that it was around in
                          the early
                          > 1900's) if not can anyone point me in the right direction, and
                          advise where
                          > i can look, and/or any recommended books/articles.
                          >
                          > or is it (as 1 person has told me) totally made up - the company
                          does not
                          > (and never did) exist.

                          scale or thereabouts
                          2 - not restricted to members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association although
                          3 - moderated by current serving members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association
                          committee
                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • PAT JANES
                          Message 12 of 29 , Oct 17, 2006
                            Frank

                            By the way - did you open the Puffer box yet?

                            I've had my eye on one since I heard about it. Looks easier than the 1/43 schooner offered by Hobbies and it is waterline, to boot.
                            Pat
                            2286

                          • PAT JANES
                            Message 13 of 29 , Oct 17, 2006
                              Dave

                              For what it is worth I have used Rail Graphics in the U.S. for private road water slide transfers a couple of times and would do so again. I do not know much about the UK transfer scene but there must surely be someone over here who would like to take your money.

                              Pat
                              2286

                              Message 14 of 29 , Oct 17, 2006
                                Yes Pat, and if you've read the last Narrow News, it looks like someone's
                                committed me to review it for Narrow Lines!

                                Opening it isn't the problem, getting out of the box is, as the hull is hot
                                melt glued to the base of the box to stop it moving about. I've got two
                                books, one on Clyde Puffers, and Coastal Traders which has about 10 pages on
                                them. However if you intend to build the kit, the best source of detail is
                                the 1954 Ealing Comedy, 'The Maggie'

                                It comes with the hull, the engine house ( it isn't a cabin at the rear ),
                                and all the hatch covers in one moulding, but it won't end up like that.
                                Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the kit, but I want a bit more
                                'activity'. Only 'serious' omission is the steering chain, but wait for my
                                'review'

                                It is, after finding some quartz for my 13 wooden On30 bogie hopper wagons
                                (gold mine), sorting some photos onto disc for the photographic club
                                tomorrow night, next project!

                                I don't know just what you are modelling, but 4 puffers apparently worked
                                around North Wales!

                                A friend has come up with an idiomatic translation ( not electrical was my
                                request! ) of the 'Vital Spark' into Gaelic, but I've promised that the
                                skipper will resemble her husband, and that her parrot will be in its cage
                                in the wheel house..anyone any advice on soldering up a 7mm scale parrot
                                cage?

                                Para Handy

                                Message 15 of 29 , Oct 17, 2006
                                  Frank

                                  Good luck - you could stick the bird in a lobster pot and sling it on the mast where it could be admired.

                                  Pat

                                • John Clutterbuck
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Oct 19, 2006
                                    --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Sharp" <robertfairlie@...> wrote:

                                    > Is it possible to link
                                    > the pickups between coaches with very flexible wire

                                    Hi Frank,

                                    I have been trying to locate a source of very fine flexible insulated
                                    wire for some time. Do you (or anyone else) know a suitable source?

                                    Regards
                                    John
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Oct 19, 2006
                                      Try All components, that's where I got mine.

                                      > the pickups between coaches with very flexible wire

                                      Hi Frank,

                                      I have been trying to locate a source of very fine flexible insulated
                                      wire for some time. Do you (or anyone else) know a suitable source?

                                      Regards
                                      John

                                    • David Butler
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Oct 19, 2006
                                        John,
                                        I get mine from Express Models.
                                        Have a look at:-
                                        http://www.expressmodels.co.uk/acatalog/0_6mm_Diameter_Multistrand_cable
                                        _.html
                                        Regards
                                        David Butler
                                        Mem # 2597

                                        --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "John Clutterbuck"
                                        <jclutterbuck2001@...> wrote:

                                        > --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Sharp" <robertfairlie@> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > Is it possible to link
                                        > > the pickups between coaches with very flexible wire
                                        >
                                        > Hi Frank,
                                        >
                                        > I have been trying to locate a source of very fine flexible insulated
                                        > wire for some time. Do you (or anyone else) know a suitable source?
                                        >
                                        > Regards
                                        > John

                                      • John Clutterbuck
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Oct 19, 2006
                                          Many thanks David & Frank.

                                          Just what I need (and several other goodies too)

                                          Regards
                                          John
                                        • David Butler
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Oct 19, 2006
                                            John, If you're ordering some of the LEDs from Express models, don't
                                            make the same mistake as I did and order the resistors to go with them -
                                            the LEDS come complete correct value resistors - anybody want 36 900K
                                            resistors ? LOL
                                            David

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Oct 19, 2006
                                              <jclutterbuck2001@...> wrote:

                                              > --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Sharp" <robertfairlie@> wrote:
                                              >
                                              > > Is it possible to link
                                              > > the pickups between coaches with very flexible wire
                                              >
                                              > Hi Frank,
                                              >
                                              > I have been trying to locate a source of very fine flexible insulated
                                              > wire for some time. Do you (or anyone else) know a suitable source?
                                              >
                                              > Regards
                                              > John

                                              I have used wire stripped from inside a telephone extension cable.
                                              Do NOT go to the DIY store and buy a metre or two of what they sell for
                                              telephone work as that is (as you will see) monofilament and very prone
                                              to breaking of both wire an insulation.
                                              Buy a short cable sold as an extension with plugs moulded onto each
                                              end - you'll have miles of wire!

                                              Adrian
                                            • David Layzell
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Oct 19, 2006
                                                Hi John - try Express Models they have 0.6mm diameter multistrand fine cable
                                                in many colours http://www.expressmodels.co.uk

                                                Regards

                                                another David - still steaming in Suffolk