Dropping in for introductions.

  • matt_in_lisbon
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2006
      Hi,

      I'm Matthew - I live in a small coastal town just south of Lisbon,
      Portugal, originally from East Sussex.

      Part time travel writer, (detailing Portugal) and pubish my articles
      on www.fodors.com, a travel resource. Also full time dad and official
      wine taster of the family produced red...

      Some recent articles that will be of interest, I hope, are the following:

      Photographic trip report: Narrow Gauge railways in Northern Portugal.

      http://fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2&tid=34846534

      (This will be of most interest I believe detailing the scenic metre
      gauge line in the Corgo Valley)

      Steam trains in the Douro Valley.

      http://fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2&tid=34836683

      Portugal by train

      http://fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2&tid=34819673

      And

      150 of Portuguese Railways

      http://fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2&tid=34816818

      The coast locally here has a 7 mile 2' gauge tourist line which is
      very busy, diesel hauled and it is how I imagine what an up to date
      Rye And Camber Tramway could be like - I'll post some pictures in the
      near future.

      I have started purchasing a few 0-16.5 bits and pieces from Ebay, (no
      trade support here) and likewise some old Narrow Lines, and have been
      collecting a small library of narrow gauge rly books. Most inspired by
      Rye and Camber and I will be cobbling something together based upon
      that and scenic details from the local 2' gauge line which runs
      through the sand dunes and beaches.

      Long term aim is to buy an O&K 2' gauge steam loco to run on the local
      line as they were used alot here in Portugal but I fear it will take a
      lottery win...

      To be honest I doubt I'll have much worthy to contribute but hope to
      be an active member of the forum, and soon a member of the 7mmnga.

      Take care and best regards from a hot Portugal

      Matt