Re: Motorised Chassis

  • hunslett
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2 5:16 PM
      There is quite a veriety of American Diesel chassies available in
      16.5. They run well, have all wheel pickup, dual flywheels etc. Many
      come with DCC if you are interested. I find the Life Like SW 7 very
      affordable and run superbly. These are available from a number of
      sources including Internet Trains.
      Vincent Bradley,1707
    • Geoffrey Loynes
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3 2:47 PM
        I've recently used a couple of surplus Walthers HO scale locos I had to hand (an EMD GP9 and an Alco FA1) to build large freelance American and Irish NG Bo-Bo/B-B diesels. These run well and are both plentiful and cheap. The only minus I find is that most HO scale diesels have relatively small wheels, only about 10mm in diameter, whereas a typical GE Bo-Bo loco usually has wheels about 3' diameter, ie 3/4" or 15mm in 1/48 scale or around 20mm diameter in 1/43. To get a closer to scale match the best bet would probably be a Bachmann or Lima BR class 20, but thse are not as cheap.....

        GL

      • Fam. Evans
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 4 6:01 AM
          Thanks for the help! Walthers are more my price range. I've also found the
          Athearn 'Blue Box' kits. Anyone have experience with these? and where could
          I get hold of walthers or Athearn? Any UK suppliers or do I have to go to
          the US? I've looked in Google but nthing came up.
          Andy
          PS GL, have you got pictures of your US and Irish NG units?
        • MICHAEL BELLAMY
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 4 6:14 AM
            Andy

            I have deleted your original enquiry and so I cant't recall exactly what you were looking for - but you mention Athearn in the UK. Paul Martin at www.ngtrains.com sells the Athearn SW7 for £23. This is the "calf" version without a cab and so it is ideal if you only need it for the chassis. Paul has this in stock as it is used to power some of the Boulder Valley Models that he imports from the States. A google search should show you what one looks like.

            Hope this helps

            Mike Bellamy

            "Fam. Evans" <fam.evans@...> wrote:
            Thanks for the help! Walthers are more my price range. I've also found the
            Athearn 'Blue Box' kits. Anyone have experience with these? and where could
            I get hold of walthers or Athearn? Any UK suppliers or do I have to go to
            the US? I've looked in Google but nthing came up.
            Andy
            PS GL, have you got pictures of your US and Irish NG units?

          • Stuart Edmundson
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 4 12:53 PM
              andy
              porter wynn in clitheroe lancs stock athearn and walthers
              01200 442409 fridays and saturdays
              stuart

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 5 12:34 PM
                Haven't so far used any old style Athearn 'Blue Box' locos for O
                narrow gauge projects, these do have the advantage that they can
                sometimes be obtained as unpainted models, this makes life easier
                when modifying them. I've bought mine from various places including
                Totally Trains (Ross-on-Wye), MG Sharpe (Sheffield) and others. You
                could order from the USA fairly easily, but if you do you run the
                risk of being hammered for import duty (not to mention assorted
                Royal Mail handling charges), so I'd advise sticking to UK suppliers
                unless you want a specific loco and can't get it over here. Some
                shops may not stock as wide a range of Athearn 'blue box' stuff
                nowadays, owing to the introduction of RTR versions, which are nice
                for HO modellers, but not as cheap!

                Geoff