Transfer paper

  • Dave Balcombe
    Message 1 of 6 , May 20, 2002
      Blank
      Dear all,
      In Narrow Lines No. 121, page 22, there is an item about transfer paper from W.Hobby. It mentions that they have changed their supplier and that the new paper can be used in inkjet printers.

      I have just received a supply of this and although the front of the pack confirms this, a small label has been added to the rear, stating that it is NOT suitable for inkjets - only colour copiers or laser printers.

      I will bring this label to the attention of W.Hobby and ask them to make this clear on their website etc.

      It may be possible that coating the decals with a decal emulsion may make it usable. However at £2.35 for one A4 sheet, it may not be worth your while to buy it and watch your artwork run off the paper.

    • Dave Balcombe
      Message 2 of 6 , May 23, 2002
        Blank
        Dear All,

        With reference to my previous Email about the transfer paper from W.Hobby.

        I have just had a reply from them. Firstly they are going to  put a note in their catalogue etc., that this product is not suitable for inkjet printers and secondly they are investigating another type of transfer paper from the same source which IS suitable. So watch their space.

      • martincoombsuk
        Message 3 of 6 , May 24, 2002
          Have you tried these people? They advertise as waterslide ink jet
          decals, achieved by spraying the sheets after printing.
          They can be found at:

          http://www.supercaldecals.com/

          Regards

          Martin Coombs
        • Roy Parkes
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2004
            Has anyone tried the Clear water-slip decal paper as sold by 'Crafty
            Computer Paper' to produce your own transfers via a computer and
            inkjet printer?
          • Ron Mote
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2004
              Hi Roy!

              Yes - I've tried it, and it works quite well for most logos, letters etc. I
              found that lining a loco for instance is pretty tricky , due to the fact
              that you need to cut the desingn compltetely out of the backing paper. (i.e
              there is no way of getting a clear background as white is 'built in' to the
              transfer film.) This is assuming that you use thw white decal paper which
              you need to if you are transfering onto a coloured (darkish) surface.. By
              the way their Photo glossy paper is good too.

              Good luck!
              Ron

              > Has anyone tried the Clear water-slip decal paper as sold by 'Crafty
              > Computer Paper' to produce your own transfers via a computer and
              > inkjet printer?
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Trevor Shaw
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 3, 2004
                In message <c9mtf4+c4p6@...>, Roy Parkes
                <r.parkes@...> writes
                >Has anyone tried the Clear water-slip decal paper as sold by 'Crafty
                >Computer Paper' to produce your own transfers via a computer and
                >inkjet printer?

                I've tried a couple of these things, though not the one you mention.
                None was what I would call successful. The problem is that inkjet inks
                are transparent, so they need to be printed on a white surface. The
                so-called decal films I bought were really just a thin white paper-like
                substrate that could be printed on with a layer of water soluble gum
                between that and a backing sheet. Not what I wanted at all.

                Then I spotted an announcement in Railway Modeller from Paul Robson
                Models, 1 Rydal Crescent, Penrith, CA11 8PJ, Tel 01768 866212. Paul has
                a printer which can lay down opaque white ink under the transfer printed
                on top of it using the usual transparent inks. After speaking to Paul on
                the phone a couple of times, I twigged what was wanted as input and did
                the artwork for my transfers in MS Word Art. Paul printed my transfers
                for a very reasonable price i.e. less than I would have had to pay for
                commercially available non-custom transfers covering the same area. They
                are waterslide transfers, printed on very thin but strong backing film,
                which is completely invisible after Microsol treatment and varnishing. I
                am a very pleased customer and will use Paul's services again. If you
                don't feel up to doing your own artwork, Paul will discuss your wants
                and do it for you. I don't know what he charges for this but I would
                think reasonable.

                Usual disclaimer -- satisfied customer only.
                --
                Trevor Shaw